craft beer

ross said:
you should be able to find it somewhere in single bottles. you can buy it in singles around here. its about 2.99 or 3.49 a bottle.

yes i have had it, but only once. it is an old ale, so it has a different flavor than you may be used to. it has a very earthy and old (i cant think of any better description) flavor. its not very bitter at all. i didnt care for it that much, its certainly a nice one to try; you may like it. but i wouldnt go and buy a case of it because you might have 23 bottles left of something you dont enjoy that much.

I actually was gonna try it just for the name, but the price gagged me. i'll hunt down a single first to try. Thanks.

Sickmont said:
I actually was gonna try it just for the name, but the price gagged me. i'll hunt down a single first to try. Thanks.

once i get to work, im gonna check another site and see if i can find you a beer store in sarasota.

do you have a total wine nearby? they should have singles of it.

ill post here in a few minutes

we've got a whole foods nearby, do you think they might have it?

I found this stuff about 2 hours south of here, so i'm not driving that far for an over-priced case.

interesting read..thanks for the link. ha i was actually just up at the local beer store going through their stock and i came across a $3 bottle of the old engine oil! i haven't tried it yet...it says its a great "after dinner beer" so i figured i'd wait till after i ate. right now just sipping on some imperial stout from left hand brewing co. its pretty good. heres some reviews about it from people that are more versed in describing beers haha.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/418/2654

xgrafcorex said:
interesting read..thanks for the link. ha i was actually just up at the local beer store going through their stock and i came across a $3 bottle of the old engine oil! i haven't tried it yet...it says its a great "after dinner beer" so i figured i'd wait till after i ate. right now just sipping on some imperial stout from left hand brewing co. its pretty good. heres some reviews about it from people that are more versed in describing beers haha.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/418/2654

left hand imp, not a bad one. much better out there.

to honor the dark holiday, i drank:

brooklyn black stout
thirsty dog siberian night
victory storm king

(1 glass of scotch..)

all were imperial stouts, all fantastic yet different. ill throw up some reviews on them soon.

as for the beer store in FL, i got tied up at work today. about to see what i can see, give me a minute.

sarasota:

try -

the butchers block
3242 17th Street
Sarasota, Florida, 34235
United States
phone: (941) 955-2822

palmer plaza fine wine and beer
8415 S. Tamiami Trail
Sarasota, Florida, 34238
United States
phone: (941) 925-4838

wine warehouse
1919 Southwood Street
Sarasota, Florida, 34231
United States
phone: (941) 922-8216

i would suggest calling them before going and asking if they have what youre looking for.

i have no idea how close any of those are to you. hope that helps some.

'tis the season for Christmas brews. The only one I'm familiar with is Anchow Brewing. What others would you recommend? Thanks.

The Anchor Christmas is really good this year..I just picked up 2 sixpacks and I'll probably get more before it's all gone.

Other's I like are Avery's Old Jubilation and Great Divide's Hibernation. I also like, but not as much, Full Sail's Waisail and Pyramid's Snow Cap.

There's actually a Sam Addams I like... I think their Winter Porter......but I don't dig the over-spiced flavor of their Old Fetziwegler...or whatever they call it.

I've seen Brekenridge's Xmas Beer around but haven't tried it. Anyone?

pileiton said:
'tis the season for Christmas brews. The only one I'm familiar with is Anchow Brewing. What others would you recommend? Thanks.

oh the choices..

sierra nevada celebration ale
brooklyn chocolate stout
anchor christmas ale
any kind of belgian "noel" beer
avery old jubilation
pyramid snow cap
victory storm king / old horizontal
alesmith yulesmith christmas ale

i could continue but im not sure where you live..

alot of your local breweries will make "festive" ales as well and usually you can find them on tap which makes them even better.

chuk hell said:
I've seen Brekenridge's Xmas Beer around but haven't tried it. Anyone?

no sir i have not. that is brewed in oregon correct? i dont think i have ever tried any of their beer actually. i know i can buy the ipa and the stout here but it hasnt been something i fancy.

yeah i agree on the anchor OSA too, its really good this year.

i am going to do a semi vertical next week sometime, so ill post my thought on that (2002, 2004, 2005, 2006)

ross said:
oh the choices..

sierra nevada celebration ale
brooklyn chocolate stout
anchor christmas ale
any kind of belgian "noel" beer
avery old jubilation
pyramid snow cap
victory storm king / old horizontal
alesmith yulesmith christmas ale

i could continue but im not sure where you live..

alot of your local breweries will make "festive" ales as well and usually you can find them on tap which makes them even better.
I'm in Chicago. I think a trip to Goose Island is called for. Strictly for scientific purposes!

ross said:
no sir i have not. that is brewed in oregon correct? i dont think i have ever tried any of their beer actually.

Colorado

http://www.breckbrew.com/

I like their Vanilla Porter when I'm in the mood for it, which isn't often but if you like vanilla, it's real good. I also like their Oatmeal Stout and Pale Ale.

I'll try their Christmas Ale soon.

just had lunch at a local place called brewzzi http://www.brewzzi.com/

they make a few of their own beers and serve food. i just had an angus cheese burger..was good but nothing spectacular. they have descriptions of their beers on that website. rather than a blonde or amber lager, we opted for their "premium" seasonal offering of a belgian dubbel. it was pretty good, fairly dark, but you could still see through. a dark red amber i guess. it was expensive though! the one beer almost cost as much as my burger!

in the end, i'd like to try their other beers, and i would...but its a bit pricey for me, so it will be some time till i get back over there.

pileiton said:
I'm in Chicago. I think a trip to Goose Island is called for. Strictly for scientific purposes!

yeah!

goose island makes a winter ale
ipa
imperial ipa
matilda
pere jacques
1800 demolition ale
bourbon county stout

mmmmmm yeah, you should have fun there!

in the chicago area you may be able to still find some bells beers on the shelves, though i am not 100% sure about that. they also may have some three floyds. if so - check out the alpha klaus christmas porter and behemoth barley wine. of course, 3f dreadnaught is an absolute must buy if you see it ;)

chuk hell said:
Colorado

http://www.breckbrew.com/

I like their Vanilla Porter when I'm in the mood for it, which isn't often but if you like vanilla, it's real good. I also like their Oatmeal Stout and Pale Ale.

I'll try their Christmas Ale soon.

ah! i have had nothing from them. did you ever contact your friend re: north by northwest beer?

xgrafcorex said:

they make a few of their own beers and serve food. i just had an angus cheese burger..was good but nothing spectacular. they have descriptions of their beers on that website. rather than a blonde or amber lager, we opted for their "premium" seasonal offering of a belgian dubbel. it was pretty good, fairly dark, but you could still see through. a dark red amber i guess. it was expensive though! the one beer almost cost as much as my burger!

in the end, i'd like to try their other beers, and i would...but its a bit pricey for me, so it will be some time till i get back over there.

local places are awesome. especailly ones that make their own beer. even if the beer isnt stellar somehow it always manages to go with the food really well!

xgrafcorex said:

Oh hell yeah....now i have ANOTHER reason to make a weekend trip out that way soon.

Back