craft beer

Yet another unsolicited testimonial for the King,
Whooohoooo, Right on Skydiver. That is very cool to know and cool of you to admit to past attitudes toward the traditional brews. The one thing that drive me nuts is a haughty, arrogant attitude regarding long term, tried and true American traditions.
Sure change is cool, but you can change with an appreciation of “the one that brought ya”
Your friend Max sounds like a cool fella too. Its good to have buddies who can expand your horizon and keep you grounded at the same time. I would dig Max.
Now see…your post actually makes me wanna go out and try (I hope the Bud reps not viewing this) a Victory Hopdevil. Thanks Bro
Oh and by the way….I hope you guys stomp the heck out of the Chargers Sunday night!

Skydiver said:
When I was first getting into the world of craft beer, I mocked Bud and Miller and all the mass produced crap mercilessly. I thought it would make me sound cool.

Then I met Max, my beer guru. The guy knew more about beer than just about anyone I've ever met. I got to be good friends with him and one day asked him to teach me how to properly review a beer.
The first beer he told me to practice on? Bud. I was shocked. He told me that it's a good beer to learn the different flavors a beer can have because it has one thing it does better than just about anyone else.
Consistency.
I took his advice, and really happy I did.

My current favorite beer is Victory HopDevil, and I'll always drink craft beer given the choice, but I no longer look down on Bud.

i would never deny any beer made by BMC or Sam adams, those are the beers that got me started for sure.

the hardest type of beer to homebrew is a lager like budweiser because of the weakness in the palate, one flaw will turn out to be a massacre of a beer. dark beer is much easier to home brew because of the massive roasted flavors, and hop additions, not having to crash the beer into 32 degree temps etc etc, and thus most home brew dark beers. also most into craft beer tend to drink the darker beers (myself included) because the flaws are much harder to notice.

if you have a skunked bottle of bud, you will know it.

if you got a skunked bottle of say, victory storm king imperial stout, it may not be as obvious. it may even have a sourish flavor, but it wouldnt be somethign that you would immediately drain pour.

right on with the hop devil, very good stuff, widely avaliable and pretty consistant.

Hmm.. I can see using Bud as sort of a "tabula rasa" when learning how to review beers. That makes sense because it has so little taste. The copius amounts of rice used to brew it assure that. Rice is not the grain I look for in a quality beer ( I'm a barley man) but whatever floats your boat. And speaking of floating, I will be the first to admit I have drunk enough Bud ( and Busch) to float a battleship back when I was younger and not such a beer snob. These days it just tastes like water to me...not bad pre se, just not much taste.

That said, I will now say something nice about Budweiser.

It's better than coors light. ;)

bum bump bum bum.....here come the King here come the big number One, bum bum ( Hope the Bud reps watchin)

Wow that remind me of Carlos Mencia......Rum pum pum pum...
too funny

Have you checked out Carlos, Chuk?

and that was a nice thing to say about Bud btw

chuk hell said:
It's better than coors light. ;)

Ohhh! Burn! In all honesty though, I like Coors light over Bud......then again....that was based off of the last time I had coors (3 years ago)...ya know, before I knew what good beer was.

NOW....if you talking about The Budvar brewery in checkoslovakia that brew "budweiser" now we talking... Very hoppie and awesome flavor, especially the dark one, I had plenty of this my old days.
for the american one I have only one opinion......
a beer for those suffering from fear of flavor. :onfire:

i prefer allagash interlude over budweiser..

as well as high life, so i guess the king is not really king is he?

king of beers is only because they sell more beer than anyone in the world, because of the huge production facility they have. oh and thier marketing doesnt hurt much :onfire: bleh. id just as soon drink busch, which is another AB product, but its better than "the king"

[quote name='Cap'n Bones']Beer Festival... :onfire: Here in Wilmington. http://www.lighthousebeerandwine.com/beerfestival.asp[/QUOTE]

man thats awesome, you should have fun. hope that it isnt too crowded, because i went to the one in charlotte and it sucked because there was about a 5 minute line on every beer at around 330. needless to say i didnt drink near what i should have, but i was also very hung over, haha

today is the first day of our home brewing :mouthonfire: got the kit a few months ago...finally got around to buying the ingredients and putting it together. first pic is of the yeast being added to the wort.

IMG_6411s.jpg

these are the hops we used...doesn't look too tasty but my house has never smelled better!

IMG_6414s.jpg

marcosauces said:
man...those hops looks DEFINITELY awesome.....i guess is going to be a pale ale or dark...?

well its pretty dark as of now...i'm not sure if it will get any lighter. the recipe called it something like "colonial light lager" or something like that.

you homebrewed a lager?

do you have some way to keep it at sub 50 degrees?

lagers shouldnt be dark, unless (duh) its a dark lager such as... i cant even think of an example. sam adams brews one.

also, you should have bought the glass ferminters instead, but thats ok, ill forgive you. :mouthonfire:

did you use proper sanitation on EVERYTHING?

oh yeah, and if you dont have some way to control the temp lagers are very hard to make...

hope it turns out good. how long has it been in the bucket?

also, you shouldnt have taken the hops out of the wort. and you should have used hop pellets. sorry, im a dick, i know. pellets are way better, because they are able to be kept fresher, and they are broken up really small, so when fermination is done, all of the peices will be in the bottom with the yeast cake. did you by chance notice if the airlock has started bubbling yet?

xgrafcorex said:
well its pretty dark as of now...i'm not sure if it will get any lighter. the recipe called it something like "colonial light lager" or something like that.

your beer looks like a porter or something. certainly not a lager.

and it doesnt get lighter, if anything it will get a little darker..

hi...yep a homebrewed lager according to the directions. we have an extra fridge with a thermometer. we're keeping it about 60-65 as per directions. yea glass is nice but i got this kit for free with the white plastic which is fine. though a glass container is on the list of future investments.

yep...we cleaned everything very well. its only been in the bucket for almost 2 days now. though the airlock is NOT bubbling so i think our yeast is no good. :cool: as for the hops...we just got what the guy at the store recommended...next time we'll be ordering all our ingredients online. the stuff at the local store looks like its been on the shelf since the 70s. we basically just followed this book guide to the t for this first batch. thanks for the advice.

Back