• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

grilling CypressHill1973 my grill & BBQ in Argentina

I love the pig, it's more my thing than steak (I like it a lot but it's way to expensive here). I figure the plate behind the pig is to reflect the heat?

I might just give it a try next summer.

neoguy said:
Fabian,

Will you adopt me for the New Year, please?

Merry Christmas.

DEFINITELY NOT!

But you can come to my home to dinner. Any number of times you are welcome   :P  LOL

Pfeffer said:
I love the pig, it's more my thing than steak (I like it a lot but it's way to expensive here). I figure the plate behind the pig is to reflect the heat?

I might just give it a try next summer.

The problem is that here today was a windy day. The plates were to protect the fire from the wind. Without the plates had not been possible to cook this way These plates used only for cooking meats and wind protection
I just finished cooking the piglet.

These pictures show the different stages of cooking. Total time four hours and a half

2014-12-23%252017.01.35.jpg

2014-12-23%252017.34.28.jpg

2014-12-23%252018.29.03.jpg

2014-12-23%252018.29.12.jpg

You looking to me?

2014-12-23%252018.33.48.jpg

Are finish. After a cold cut into pieces and will be a Christmas feast for my family.

2014-12-23%252018.45.50.jpg

2014-12-23%252018.45.57.jpg

2014-12-23%252018.46.01.jpg

2014-12-23%252018.46.05.jpg

cypresshill1973 said:
You needed direct heat of choarcal. Will have to be equal for uniform cooking. In the part of the head will have to add a little more heat.

They smoke whole hogs here all the time indirect. Just sayin'! Best way I have seen is lay it flat, upside down, and fill the cavity with apple juice, BBQ spices, and onions. That liquid will work into it as you cook.

Maybe salty can chime in on a way too.

Good luck!

PS. Your method wasn't exactly direct either it was off to the side.

Great method and hope your X-Mas is great!

Here are many ways to cook the whole hog. I've never seen smoked because smoked is not large custom around here. Just in the south, in Patagonia smoked wild boar meat, and others animals. But not having tried it.

My father having farm. It has been breeding pigs on a large scale throughout my childhood and adolescence. Have eaten the best pigs organic breeding and after being cooked in every possible way, Also ell weights.

Grilling cross (fire aside as you say) is the best i known method everyone. Much wood  and smoke flavor, When standing, the bad fats fall to the ground when melt. unlike horizontal cooked  the bad fats end merging into the fibers of the meat (later you eat). Not if I explain this concept well. Hard flavor of heatpig (when eat warm) is not present when cooking on cross.
The result of grilling cross is, more tender, more juicy much more tasty meat, and NOT causes indigestion. No matter how much you've eaten.

Of course "cross tool" need to tie the pork in this way will be necessary, and also the place that allows done. Of course also plenty of firewood is needed, i used more than 60 kilos.

Beautifully rustic!!!!

cypresshill1973 said:
Grilling cross (fire aside as you say) is the best i known method everyone. Much wood  and smoke flavor, When standing, the bad fats fall to the ground when melt. unlike horizontal cooked  the bad fats end merging into the fibers of the meat (later you eat). Not if I explain this concept well. Hard flavor of heatpig (when eat warm) is not present when cooking on cross.

We don't believe in bad fats here I guess, lol.

Part of what I love about this thread is seeing different cooking methods that I am unfamiliar with.  I am learning and I love seeing the old tried and true methods you use.  Makes me want to cook over open wood fires and make a cross!

And why not try the next time? Should I try grilling ribs or chicken with one open burning and notice the difference.

Making a cross or a grill (Creole style) is very easy. If you need, I can help with your questions

Well... As I sad in the STEAK thread, here my beef ribs on the grill. The stars are, the beef strip, chorizo (100% pork), Morcilla (black pudding google translate) and chinchulines (tripe) This is a delicacy, is very tasty. Here is very common in our asados. But It is not eat in others countries. Make a good chinchulines, requires some skill on the grill.

2015-02-15%252021.41.27.jpg

2015-02-15%252021.41.32.jpg

2015-02-15%252021.41.37.jpg

Was juicy and tasty

2015-02-15%252021.41.23.jpg

Years ago, i see in TV a progran of travelers cheffs. They are a young american couple that trip of the world discovering a diferent culinary cultures of each countries. En one episode, they visit Argentina and goes to eat at some restaurants. When arrived at a traditional parrilla Argentina, they order parrillada which is an assortment of meats and offal(organ meat)
When It was time to eat chinchulines, they are very hesitant to try and spit after chewing a bit.
That caught my attention, because foreigners love the chinchulin. I have relatives in Australia, cousins born in Australia and when they visit, they want to eat chinchulines. I know that the scene in this progran it was only a actuation.... I dont know.

Here a video... I not speak because nobody understand me

http://youtu.be/fVMNMTpH9sQ

dab gum it now Im hungry LOLO I lived in Spain for 6 years and a friend there was from Argentina he cooked like this all the time I just found this tread and it brings back memories of him.. He passed away a couple of years ago I have a drink on the anniversary of his passing each year 

Back