• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

D3monic's such a sauce noob

I've tried to make sauces in the past with moderate success and failure. More often than not way too hot even for my taste.

I have a handful of fataliis and looking at making a nice yellow sauce. Fishing for ideas on some ingredients

I just got a PH probe so I can properly bottle the sauce. Not looking at a giant batch. Maybe 6 peppers worth at a medium heat. My last sauce was like 12 bhuts and a jar of applesauce as a cutter and what ever else I added like onion and what not. Was way too hot to consume.

Currently on my cell but later tonight I will dig through some threads on here.

If using ~6 peppers how many apples/jars applesauce and ect would you expect to use to acheive a small batch of medium hi heat sauce... Say around LDHS black label heat? Or should I plan on using less peppers? Only want maybe 5-6 woozies worth.

And ingredient suggestions, think I want to stay away from pineapple and mango.

Maybe, apples, garlic, salt, lime, (ginger?) onion ... Open to ideas just want to keep the yellow color.
Appreciate any insight

Like no-chill for beer brewing ... OK, I get it ...

I'll have to tackle this after a bit, as peppers are happening ...

Never done it, but I don't want any powder, and I don't like soggy, defrosted pods ...

Leaves pickling and sauce-making, mostly ...

"If using ~6 peppers how many apples/jars applesauce and ect would you expect to use to acheive a small batch of medium hi heat sauce... Say around LDHS black label heat? Or should I plan on using less peppers? Only want maybe 5-6 woozies worth."
I didn't get the quote thing right -

I'm late to the party, but I'll post anyway in case it might be useful for the next batch.

For GenPop heat tolerances, 1 fatalli with enough other ingredients to make 30 ounces of sauce would make a 3-4/10 heat.  Depends on your audience.  1 pod per bottle (5-6 pods per batch) is more in the 7-8/10 range for most people.  I'm talking non-THP people here, not the 2% of the population who actually knows there are chiles hotter than a bhut. 

Have fun with your experiments! :)

D3monic said:
I kind of want to try fermenting

Do it.  As rex said - a whole nother rabbit hole.  Game changer.

D3monic said:
Thanks, I was surprised this batch wasn't as hot as I expected especially since I ended up going with more peppers and only ~4 5oz woozies worth of sauce. 

Cooking always takes a bit of the heat out.  Plus the ground cherries, honeycrisp and sweet bells were enough to cut it down.  I suggest keeping one bottle back for yourself to taste as it ages.  Many times my mash will taste great and be at x heat level but as it ages it tends to creep a bit.  

SL's ratios are spot on too.  :)

SmokenFire said:

Cooking always takes a bit of the heat out.  Plus the ground cherries, honeycrisp and sweet bells were enough to cut it down.  I suggest keeping one bottle back for yourself to taste as it ages.  Many times my mash will taste great and be at x heat level but as it ages it tends to creep a bit.  

I have noticed that with my sauces.  I'm kinda afraid to crack that last jar of the sirracha style I made with 13 ghosts and like 3/4 pound of dried thai chilis.

hogleg said:
:clap: Really nice color, beautiful sauce.  :hotsauce:

I know I'm just being a nitpick but 2.2 seems kinda low on PH. I like to shoot for 3.2-3.8
Yea I thought so too, wasn't trying to get that low. Was worried It wouldn't be low enough. Maybe will use less lime next time. I don't like sauces that taste too vinegary. Except capsup that shit was good

I doing another batch of sauce tonight. I have a 1lb of green jalapenos and serranos added a few smaller peppers for extra heat like orange wild brazil, caribbean red habanero and some paper lanterns. Half an onion (should I do a whole white maybe?) and two cloves of garlic. I halved them, 95% deseeded and have them smoking over a mix of apple and cherry wood. 

Was thinking 
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup white wine vinegar
2 limes
toasted cumin
seasalt
..what do you guys think, brown sugar or regular white?
Also was debating on using some lime zest for extra lime kick. Worried it may become bitter when heated though. 

I do everything by weight.  For 10 oz of pepper i cook everything down in 2 cups of water then add 1 cup vinegar(or 1/2 cup vinegar & 1/2 cup lemon/lime juice) then blend.  Then through a food mill and then cook again.   but the ratios remain the same whether i do 10 oz or a bigger batch.  2 cups water & 1 cup acid(vinegar or juice).

tctenten said:
I do everything by weight.  For 10 oz of pepper i cook everything down in 2 cups of water then add 1 cup vinegar(or 1/2 cup vinegar & 1/2 cup lemon/lime juice) then blend.  Then through a food mill and then cook again.   but the ratios remain the same whether i do 10 oz or a bigger batch.  2 cups water & 1 cup acid(vinegar or juice).

That's all beyond me at this point. Should I be adding the vinegar at the end instead of right away? Same question for the lime juice.

I don't have a food mill but used a stick blender and it turned out nice. 

I am far from experienced, but I put pepper, onions, carrots, etc with 2 cups of water per 10 oz of peppers and boil down for about 30 mins....until most of the water has evaporated. It then cools to room temp and them gets blended, while it is blending I add 1 cup of acid( vinegar, lime juice...whatever else you can come up with). Then it goes through a food mill or just a mesh strainer to remove seeds and skins. Then it gets cooked again to desired consistency, then woozy hot filled. I have not tried to put the vinegar in earlier, but it might be better, I just do not know.

tctenten said:
I use a Ninja blender....gonna try a blueberry sauce tomorrow or Saturday.

That sounds yummy, I have a food processor but figured the stick blender would be easier as I could just blend it right in the pan but is a wee bit dangerous if you don't have enough liquid. Not sure how I feel about this batch just yet. Needs to chill for a few days. The fatalii dream actually tastes pretty good. Could of used a tiny bit more sugar. 

Jalupen yo mouth

Smoked over apple n cherry

IMG_3852.JPG

_MG_1065.JPG

IMG_3854.JPG

Not sure about the baby shit green color but I figured it would look icky being green sauce.

IMG_3855.JPG

Bringing some treats to work tomorrow for co-workers

_MG_1066.JPG

Back