• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

D3monic's such a sauce noob

I've tried to make sauces in the past with moderate success and failure. More often than not way too hot even for my taste.

I have a handful of fataliis and looking at making a nice yellow sauce. Fishing for ideas on some ingredients

I just got a PH probe so I can properly bottle the sauce. Not looking at a giant batch. Maybe 6 peppers worth at a medium heat. My last sauce was like 12 bhuts and a jar of applesauce as a cutter and what ever else I added like onion and what not. Was way too hot to consume.

Currently on my cell but later tonight I will dig through some threads on here.

If using ~6 peppers how many apples/jars applesauce and ect would you expect to use to acheive a small batch of medium hi heat sauce... Say around LDHS black label heat? Or should I plan on using less peppers? Only want maybe 5-6 woozies worth.

And ingredient suggestions, think I want to stay away from pineapple and mango.

Maybe, apples, garlic, salt, lime, (ginger?) onion ... Open to ideas just want to keep the yellow color.
Appreciate any insight

tctenten said:
I am far from experienced, but I put pepper, onions, carrots, etc with 2 cups of water per 10 oz of peppers and boil down for about 30 mins....until most of the water has evaporated. It then cools to room temp and them gets blended, while it is blending I add 1 cup of acid( vinegar, lime juice...whatever else you can come up with). Then it goes through a food mill or just a mesh strainer to remove seeds and skins. Then it gets cooked again to desired consistency, then woozy hot filled. I have not tried to put the vinegar in earlier, but it might be better, I just do not know.
Ive only made sauce like 4 or 5 batches now, but when I do I have been brining the peppers, onion, garlic, salt, white vinegar or apple cider vinegar, some water, ginger, lime juice and sugar in the fridge for approx 24 hours, then cooking on the grill and blending with an immersion blender.  Thankfully I have never sprayed myself.  But I have yet to actually measure a single thing and do it all by the seat of my pants.  so far this has worked quite well.   But I have always used a good bit more vinegar than water.  Is that not so good?

Apok451 said:
Ive only made sauce like 4 or 5 batches now, but when I do I have been brining the peppers, onion, garlic, salt, white vinegar or apple cider vinegar, some water, ginger, lime juice and sugar in the fridge for approx 24 hours, then cooking on the grill and blending with an immersion blender.  Thankfully I have never sprayed myself.  But I have yet to actually measure a single thing and do it all by the seat of my pants.  so far this has worked quite well.   But I have always used a good bit more vinegar than water.  Is that not so good?

I would say let your taste buds guide you.   I do not think there is a right or wrong way to do it.   The only thing I will say about measuring ingredients, is that if you like the sauce....it is easier to replicate...atleast for me.  

tctenten said:

I would say let your taste buds guide you.   I do not think there is a right or wrong way to do it.   The only thing I will say about measuring ingredients, is that if you like the sauce....it is easier to replicate...atleast for me.  
Fantastic point.  But since a lot of, last year all I really got out of the garden was a ton of ghosts, what I get are given to me Ive just thrown stuff together, with the exception of my recent green sauce.  That one I should be able to replicate easily.  But next time it needs a little extra kick for sure.

tctenten said:

THIS FOREVER

I added an unmeasured amount of water (just enough to almost cover them)
coriander
seasalt
half a lime
dash of oregano

boiled for a bit

added the roasted garlic and 3/4 white wine vinegar simmered. 

Tossed in the food processor

Taste test and PH @ 3.2 (getting better)

Transfered back to pot, added a little bit more water, brought up to temp

Hit with the stick blender and hot packed

SmokenFire said:
You're roasting a pan fulla BOOM right there D3.  Make sure to follow up with results (pics).   ;)

SmokenFire said:
easy ratio/basic recipe for ya D3:

1 lb peppers  (use a blend of mild/hot peppers)
1 oz onion
1 clove garlic
1-2 cups vinegar
1-2 cups water or fruit juice
1 tbsp honey (or sugar or agave nectar)
1 tsp salt

Bring everything to a boil in a saucepan.  Reduce heat, cover, simmer for 20-30 minutes till everything is nice and soft.  Hit it with the boat motor and blend it up really well.  Spoon a bit out and taste - adjust w more salt/sugar as needed.  Put through a food mill (if you want), bottle at temp and invert.  

Wow, this is pretty much the same basic template I work off for most of my sauces, except I add about a cup of some fruit and the garlic varies wildly (my cayenne sauce almost has a 2:1 ration of peppers to garlic :dance:
tctenten said:
I really like the ginger, but do not over do it. Too much and it will overwhelm the sauce.

That's heresy!  :snooty:

oldsalty said:
Love the bits of char in there brother really nice looking sauce!!

Thanks, me too. Turned out really well. Everyone at work loved it too. They ate my whole bottle in less than a week. I'm picking some peppers tomorrow or Tues. Going to try for another batch. Probably a mixed color batch with more supers. I got a handful of Butch T yellows and some yellow bhuts along with a few baha goats and a 7pot. Maybe go for something yellow based but with little orange bits strewn about. 

Not sure how fire roasting would look in a yellow sauce. Probably wont for this next batch. 

D3monic said:
Thanks, me too. Turned out really well. Everyone at work loved it too. They ate my whole bottle in less than a week. I'm picking some peppers tomorrow or Tues. Going to try for another batch. Probably a mixed color batch with more supers. I got a handful of Butch T yellows and some yellow bhuts along with a few baha goats and a 7pot. Maybe go for something yellow based but with little orange bits strewn about. 

Not sure how fire roasting would look in a yellow sauce. Probably wont for this next batch.
I've fire roasted pineapple for my Fatali sauce love the look and taste of char not always looking for that clean look. Got a pile of peppers Tctenten sent smoked and ready for sauce tomorrow after docs. Roasting carrots,shallots,garlic,sundried tomatoes,and a few apples sweetened with my friend's local honey and tang from my lime tree limes!!

oldsalty said:
I've fire roasted pineapple for my Fatali sauce love the look and taste of char not always looking for that clean look. Got a pile of peppers Tctenten sent smoked and ready for sauce tomorrow after docs. Roasting carrots,shallots,garlic,sundried tomatoes,and a few apples sweetened with my friend's local honey and tang from my lime tree limes!!

Nothing smells better than roasted garlic for sure!

I got a small load of whtie peppers, mostly white bhuts and white fatalii along 2 white 7pots  with some white bullets. I could also pick a small handful of white devils tongue. 

Debating on a sauce. Heats going to be high so may be ok to cut with some applesauce without sacrificing color. Maybe toss in a few orange wild brazil for a couple orange bits in it. 

Any other suggestions. Not sure if I want garlic and onion or go mostly pepper route. 

What would you use?

Ok, grabbed some white devils tongue and added to the mix as well. This shits going to be fire... so fire I'll call it white lightning lol

Back