• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

DaSauce year of pain 2019

Well its gunna be the first year devoting more space to Ghost level heat and above. In the past i just grew a couple as novelties but there are a couple that sounded interesting to try.

Hotter than habs
Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion from RFC seeds 2-3 plants
Brown Bhuts from Trents seeds. Supposed to be rather nasty from his older open pollinated Pepperlover seed stock. 4 plants
Naglah Brown from MWCH seeds. 1-2 plants
C.Reaper CCN strain seedlings. 2 plants
Dragons Breath CCN seedlings supposed to be Pepperlover strain? 2 plants
11-13 plants planned

Hab heat level
TFM bonnets from Trents seeds 2-3 plants
P Dreadies from TGCM and maybe some from my select pods too. 3-4 plants
5-7 plants planned

Pubes
Mini Red rocoto from TGCM seeds. Plants i started late last year. 2 plants
AJi Oro from seed trade. 2-3 plants
4-5 plants planned

Mild to medium annuums
Zapotec jalapeno from RFC seeds 3-4 plants
Mucho Nacho from Bonnie seedlings 2 plants
Aleppo from Ed's seeds and maybe my own too. 4 plants
Antep Aci Dolma from my seeds 2 plants
Thunder Mountain Longhorn from RFC seeds 2 plants
Hot Banana from CCN seedlings 1 plant
Hot Wax from CCN seedlings 1 plant
NuMex Big Jim Heritadge from MWCH seeds 2 plants
Tekne Dolmasi from my seeds. These are awesome for a bell type. 2 plants
19-20 plants planned

Mild to medium baccatum
Sugar Rush Peach from RFC seeds 2-3 plants
Bolsa De Dulce from seed trade 2-3 plants
4-6 plants planned

Mild chinense
Aji Panca from my seeds. Seeds are from CCN seedling last year. LOVED this pepper.
4 plants planned

So nearly half should be close to hab heat or above and way more hotter than habs ive put any effort into before. Last year i did a a fair amount of bonnets and just loved the plants this time. REALLY liked the cheap ghost seedling i got too. I figured this year i would lean towards more in the "super" range and see how it goes. Then for 2020 settle back into varieties i really enjoyed from the last 3 years.

Overall im pretty happy with most of the phenos im getting. Just got another ripe SRP. Pops loved it and wants to try them in cukes and onions. He also wants a straight SRP hot sauce...i will probably slip a JPGS in it just to see if he notices. :D

Finally getting a few Aleppo in the raised bed. Not a huge deal this year since we found a pretty good commercial flake from Turkey. Still no pods on the Big Brown Bhuts in another raised bed but plants look better. Aji Panca in the last raised bed are probably 3ft tall or more. A few pods on those. The one i had last year did produce much until it got pretty good size.

I did a plant count....How in the F^*# did i end up with 63 freaking plants? :D

Upper 90s starting soon. Need to get a few plants under a little shade. Lower patio plants i can shade easily from afternoon sun just by moving them a few feet. Already got drip pan tubs under nearly all of them. Came up 3 short. They only need to rough it out till around Monday or Tuesday if the forecast is correct. Then is back to about upper 80s to 90F.

On a side note.....Absolutely love the Liana long bean variety from Southern Exposure. Pods stay very thin even when getting to 18". The 2 others i tried would go to seed about the time they get that long. Very very tasty stir fired with some ground sirloin and sha cha sauce. Im getting a nice handful of long beans about every 2 days off them. Once you see pods forming they grow fast. http://www.southernexposure.com/liana-asparagus-yardlong-bean-7-g-p-537.html

I've been intrigued by long bean varieties. Territorial
Seeds in Springfield, Oregon, has some great 'yard-
long' varieties in their catalogue. Maybe I'll give them
a try next season. Thanks for the tip on the Lianas.

More semi mild weather with great day/night temps swings. The rocotos love the 20F difference and i would swear i see more pods ripen from it also.

Today A 20 percent chance of showers after 4pm. Sunny, with a high near 84. North wind around 6 mph.
Tonight A 20 percent chance of showers before 9pm. Mostly clear, with a low around 65. North wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Thursday Mostly sunny, with a high near 85. Calm wind becoming southeast around 6 mph in the afternoon.
Thursday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 66. Southeast wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Friday Mostly sunny, with a high near 87. Calm wind.
Friday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 68.
Saturday Sunny, with a high near 90.
Saturday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 71.
Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 91.
Sunday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 74.

Pics later today but im sure i got a couple more ripe and my brother said he spotted a few turning. I think he said it was one of the bonnets. I saw a couple of the bolsa de dulce with some red the other day. REALLY want to sample one of those. Damn squirrels finally found my mater out front!!!!

I went to eat at my favorite Indian place yesterday. Owner is excited about getting some more scorchers. I gave him ghosts and naga (mystery pepper) last year. I told him this year they should be hotter. This is one of the few places with food that pushes my limit on heat. Best damn goat curry and sambar in STL too.

Hopefully i got some samples for the nearest farmers market this weekend. It was just too damn hot last weekend and i only had a few. Need to pick up some fresh local produce and see what the pepper vendors grew this year too.

Cant stress enough how much i enjoy growing Aji Arnaucho. They just chug along. Not much bothers them and even small plants produce like mad. Best mid heat chinense i ever grew. Maybe cayenne hot?
8cZSbJb.jpg

eKN9uTS.jpg

Scotch Brain has another pod almost ripe. Back side has a little green on it. Very happy so far with this strain.
IPzFKjC.jpg

First ripe bonnet. Papa Dreadie!!!! Got a couple whoppers in there with a sweet pheno too.
YV8w4wk.jpg

q5kyrbU.jpg

Dragons Breath look NASTY!!!
RmJwdCR.jpg

HttsItY.jpg

Plenty of Reapas
eeUAvrZ.jpg

Naglah Brown got few more going.
Lewv54N.jpg

CARDI Scorpions...Very happy with plant size and production so far. Could be better for its size i guess.
8NHOci4.jpg

JPGS....SUPER happy with the pheno of this round of pods. Even the first plant is producing better looking pods.
0ipRlW3.jpg

Mystery plant. Dont have a clue what it is. Ive grown nothing that looked like these. My Aleppos last year were no where near where i found these 2 volunteers. Cool surprised though
yV0g9qO.jpg

zNhGH6D.jpg

Well hello Mr Bolsa De Dulce :D
NOhgw80.jpg

9rat9K3.jpg

SRP went pod crazy on me.
rg40cFd.jpg

oNh84UK.jpg

AND
I get a handful of Liana long beans this size every 2-3 days off 3-4 vines. They crank out even more in August. They LOVE the heat. More you pick the more they flower.
DQMErMx.jpg

You have some great looking pods pod the bushes, 'Sauce!

Cant wait to make some fermented cayenne sauce with these bad boys. Thrilled with the production of this plant. Blows away the CCN Sichuan or Thai Giant Orange
NTcnu76.jpg

U32GMDy.jpg

A few Naglah Brown are close. 1 is probably ready but leaving on a little longer for seed stock.
Lw2XKZA.jpg

vDSLLkr.jpg

A couple Scorpions just starting to turn
mHxCjwG.jpg

JPGS off the 2nd plant has one with just a slight change starting
NYlqLKW.jpg

Nice amount of Reapers and Dragons Breath but still nothing that looks like its turning. Got some vicious looking pods though
nRYpt0y.jpg

vo4BVag.jpg

kE7HGrB.jpg

2fsNEz2.jpg

Siam Queen Basil in full bloom now
69ZYbne.jpg

Big Brown Bhuts are finally flowering....Cant do these again unless i try one in a pot. That is a stupid long time to get blooms when i got other supers turning ripe already.

Aleppo did not do well in dirt either. I got several nice size pods but only a fraction of last year. I had lots ripe by this time last year and 4-5 times as many pods.

Aji panca did better in a pot but pods this year are much larger. Not nearly as many so far but they are kicking in now. Crazy plants in the raised bed didnt do squat until reaching about 3ft tall. They just kept growing taller.

TFMs are producing more early ripe pods than Dreadies but the Dreadies look like they will out produce by the end of the season. Scotch Brains have also produced more ripe early pods but total pods will be less than either bonnet...im pretty sure.

Great overall outlook for all super hots except the brown bhuts. Good production and even some ripe pods already. JPGS being the best sofar. Im sure i could have even greater yield in fabric pots. Next year i will double the number of fabric pots. Not really sure what i would do with more Reapers/Scorpions/Dragons Breath/JPGS anyway other than start selling pods. I mainly just needed to see what/how they did here in my climate and growing season....and yeah...they do look pretty cool too. :D

Bolsa de Dulce and SRP are just crazy growing/producing plants atm but im a bit surprised i haven't got more ripe SRP by now.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Aji Oro. Great flavor, good size pods and it grows/produces fine here. Im not even going to bother with mini reds again next year. Just too much effort involved compared to Aji Oro but i will be looking for another hot weather rocoto that is larger...... Preferably red mild and sweet for rellenos/stuffing.

Finally got some small pods on the brown bhuts. Hope i still got time for some ripe ones. Got lots of pods i could pick atm but im a tad busy to deal with them right this moment.

Nalglah Brown are really pretty when you get a few on the plant to contrast the green
c4vQR6w.jpg

JPGS, great producer and shape but overall flavor is just ok. Think i liked the CARDIs and red bhuts better for flavor.
0IfmEkh.jpg

Really like the Scotch Brains from Juanitos. VERY attractive pods.
1TABFpX.jpg

CARDI Scorpions from Juanitos doing great and much hotter than i expected. Probably adding these to the "grow too list"
HUrBRgt.jpg

A mantis is  guarding one of my Dragons Breath. About at 10 o'clock from the top ripe pod
8cJu41Z.jpg

TFMs from Trents seeds were a great choice for another bonnet to try. Not quite as pretty as Dreadies but does fine here.
S7M9rLr.jpg

Tekne Dolmasi ready to go. Bottom pic is a larger one for my seed stock when its ripe. These are a must if you like sweet red bells.
rH3TGn7.jpg

NlVzYVt.jpg

Anuum patch covered in volunteer burr gherkin vines. They dont climb the peppers so i figured why not let them grow to shade the soil. Got a almost ripe Zapotec in that mess too. :D
paPKcit.jpg

Liana long beans went into overdrive now. Picked almost a pound today and could have picked more. BTW, that trellis is about 8ft tall
p8IWq21.jpg

Time to review

Juanitos seedlings

JPGS, What a work horse. Produces great looking pods like mad. Hot as F#*&k too. Easily hotter than my ghost last year but in all honesty i like the flavor of a red bhut better. Still need to try them as a powda.
Joes Long Cayenne, Another beast of a producer and GREAT flavor for a cayenne. Got over 600grams off a fairly small plant in a pot and its till producing more. Im sure i can crank out more in a better pot.
Yellow Scotch Brain, Pretty good producer and earlier than my bonnets. Not quite twice as hot as my bonnets but hotter for sure. Slight bitterness but not bad. Very pretty pods.
CARDI Scorpion (red), Favorite flavor from a super yet. SCREAMING HOT and on par with my Reapers. Plant got pretty good size too for being in a hard pot but didnt end up producing much more than my others. Pretty sure i can improve that a huge amount.

Trent Lawrence Family Farms seeds

Big Brown Bhuts, Take FOREVER to grow and produce but when they do they produce a crazy amount of LARGE pods. Ive gotten 2 ripe sofar and then the hornworms came to slow me down again. Still need to taste them but i cant handle a pepper than takes this long unless its critical to my cooking.
TFM Bonnets, Great producers and great tasting bonnets. Plants thrived in my climate. On par with Dreadies for flavor. Maybe a tad less hot and less fruity but a great bonnet.

RFC seeds

JPGS, Not a single one from 2 packs germinated. All duds
Thunder Mountain LongHorn, Cool plant and good germination. Dry SUPER easy and pretty zippy too. I think these will be great for "hot" Asian style hot pots. Very good producer too but pods are light so its hard to base production on weight.
Sugar Rush Peach, Another massive producing pepper plant. They didnt ripen as early as ive seen posted but they aint bad green either for pickled pepper rings. They grow like mad into bushes in a 7gal fabric pot. 4 plants were way too many for my needs. Even the test plant in a pot cranked out pods. Its till loaded with pods after i picked every one off over a month ago.
Zapotec Jalapeno, Plants in ground stayed small and struggled somewhat even though germination was great. Test plant in a fabric pot did far better. Every single pod has been wickedly hot for a jalapeno. Flavor is almost as good as Much Nacho. None of my jalas in dirt did great this year. Took forever to get ripe pods off any of them but we had a wet/cold early summer and rather mild temps all season. I loved how the Zaps were consistently hot. Not a single milder one.

Midwest Chili Head

Naglah Brown, To be fair these seeds i got at the beginning of last year. Germination was horrible. I managed to get a single plant just before it was time to plant. The plant i did get though has been great. Very pretty brown pods with near ghost heat. Flavor is more "neutral" than i was expecting from a chocolate super. Nothing really great or bad about the flavor. Should make a nice brown hot sauce....Will find out soon.

CCN ...Sorta sad to see them go. Ive bought from them a couple times.

CCN Reaper, Very good producer of pods that sure look like Reapers. REALLY freaking hot pods. Plants did just fine in my climate and atm they are still producing nice pods.
CCN/PepperLover Dragons Breath, I have no idea if the pheno is correct but they do resemble the pods Bohica is selling and the damn things are as hot as Reapers. Flavor is a little more bitter than my Reapers so i dont think its a Reaper. Production is about the same as the CCN Reapers too....Overall not a bad SUPER pepper at all.
Hot Wax and Hot Banana, Well ive had far hotter hot wax type peppers. These were kinda so so. I got 1 of each and wasn't that impressed because i wanted a HOT wax. Otherwise the flavor was really good for a wax/banana pepper.

Bonnie Seedlings from Home Cheapo

Mucho Nacho, Still love this variety. Great flavor and good to better heat. Production is normally super good with some early to ripen. Just a great overall jalapeno for those that want to buy locally. 3 years in a row ive had good luck with Mucho Nacho seedlings.

Southern Exposure
http://www.southernexposure.com/liana-asparagus-yardlong-bean-7-g-p-537.html

Liana Asian Long beans, Well im done looking for a better long bean. Nearly 100% germination. Fantastic production of great tasting long beans. They stay much thinner LONGER. The others i tried got tough and went to seed by the time they got as long. Just 4 plants produced more beans than i can eat. Ive been blanching and freezing extra. That appears to work "ok". I got more seeds but saved a bunch to see how those turn out.....TOTALLY KILLER LONG BEAN>>>LOOK NO FURTHER

Good stuff here.

I planted a fall crop of the same Liana yardlong asparagus beans in the bean ditch on Aug 4. I got them from the same place. These things are growing over a foot a day and just started flowering a few days ago. I have 19 plants and hope to dehydrate a ton. I did the math and my girldog Lia eats 80 pounds of fresh-frozen green beans a year. The Old Homestead heirloom pole beans I grew for a first crop crapped out with the high heat. Great vegetation for a gazebo roof but not so great for making food.

I agree. The CARDI scorpion pods are delicious. They're one of my favorites too. I've been growing them for years. OW mama plant and clones.

Blanch in boiling hot water for maybe a minute.
Rinse in cold water and drain well....dryer the better
Cut into whatever length you like
Lay out on a cookie sheet with parchment paper
Toss in the freezer until frozen
Then baggem up

Not as good as fresh but its easy.

ShowMeDaSauce said:

Liana long beans went into overdrive now. Picked almost a pound today and could have picked more. BTW, that trellis is about 8ft tall
p8IWq21.jpg

Do you pinch the beanstalks to keep them under control?

Some of mine have already grown to to the top of their 5' vertical structure and another 8' horizontal on twine and hunting where to go next.  They're all shooting multiple stalks.

We ate the first picking of beans yesterday. Excellent stuff. Delicious.

You are finishing off in style, Scott! I hope all those ripen up for you.

Joes long cayenne and Thunder mountain are basically done. Only a couple greeners left. Still waiting the last of my aji panca and brown bhuts. Both those are turning. All but 1 jala are done. I saved 1 zapotec for extra seeds. Naglah is done too.

Late to the party... very nice glog!
The red CARDI scorpion reminds me a lot the 7pot/7pod long from back in the day... Probably the same.
A lot of confusion always arised from Trinidad varieties and their naming...

All the best

Datil

I was expecting hot from the red CARDI but they caught me by surprise. My pods were vicious but for a fraction of a second the flavor is very good. Tip to stem they were very hot. I didnt think the Reaper or DBs were any hotter but when you get that hot its hard to judge.

Im going to have to risk using my seeds for next years plants unless i can get seeds right from a CARDI pack. Juanitos has seeds listed but out of stock atm. Packs from CARDI are way more seeds than i need and with all the hurricanes it dont sound good.

Hey, Scott. Just wanted to say I have been
eating the Brown BJ and SB TFM flakes you
sent, mostly on pizza and chili. Both are very
good. The TFM have a good flavor for dried
flakes, and the BJ Brown has great heat - 
especially good on the pizza!

Hope you are enjoying a gardening break
until seed starting time in January.

Fresh them brown evil bastards are kinda...weird

Dried they are really good. Too hot for me to use unless they are blended into something. One of my favorites is Kirkland no salt seasoning. Add that and some smoked salt.

Back