• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest December - Musubi throw down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I just saw it and had to share. This must be JT's Japaneese Microwave Hot Dog Onigiri:

JapaneeseHotDogOnigiri.jpg

I mean what else could it be?

I do lots of crazy stuff with my leftover turkey.
Crazy, huh? I think having leftover turkey is crazy. I get a bird appropriate for the number of peeps being fed, plus my peeps just like my turkey so much there aren't leftovers. If I really want "leftovers", I make 2 turkeys, as I think the smaller birds are better anyway. That aside, I'm still "meh" about doing a holiday food TD.

Sweet heat sounds good, though.

Crazy, huh? I think having leftover turkey is crazy. I get a bird appropriate for the number of peeps being fed, plus my peeps just like my turkey so much there aren't leftovers. If I really want "leftovers", I make 2 turkeys, as I think the smaller birds are better anyway. That aside, I'm still "meh" about doing a holiday food TD.

Sweet heat sounds good, though.

Geeme, Allow me to translate. I want a Ramen Throwdown. It will be awesome!

Ramen and turkey are too weird! More down with bacon.

Perused a number of "ideas" threads, and here are some of the ideas that interested me:

- FD suggested B&W; all pics posted in black & white. Contrast and texture would be key for this.

- DTS said french fries, and had several back him up. Wheebz said Tater Tots. Maybe a fries-type of TD - wouldn't have to be potatoes, and could be fries, tots, whatever along those lines?

- Several recommendations for grilled cheese. Could be Melt style. Although there is one about 20 minutes from where I live, I haven't been there yet, as there's always a 2-hour wait.

- Many, many have recommended pizza.

I'm still liking the edible bowl idea, and will (again!) suggest sculpted food.

Turkey. Out.

Ramen. Out.

Bacon. Possible.

Edible Bowl. Possible.

SL's Survival Meal. Possible. Cuz she has crowns and has some pull.

He was just trying to steal half your rack of ribs.

SL's Survival Meal. Possible. Cuz she has crowns and has some pull.

PULL??? REALLY?!?!??? :woohoo:

prolly more like a little 'tug' than a pull. xoxo

anyhoo, I feel JayT's argument against the Survival mode-no electricity challenge because it's winter here in the good ol' US of A is ....hmmm... well....

All our mates south of the equator are coming into warm season, and Survival-mode cooking usually happens in the winter, just like our amigos experienced a couple weeks ago with people being out of power for 5-7 days.
But there are lots of cooking methods. Maybe that would be the focus....alternative cooking fuels and alternative methods. No electricity.....except for POSTING OF COURSE!

Couldn't survive without THP online...........

TB I didn't need any coffie after seeing that.
Hummm, here are a few ideas I’ve had since starting in on TD’s:
1. Meal based on prepackaged foods. Say take a frozen meal or a box meal (Hamburger Helper) and create something completely different. Not just Fish stick taco’s have to go big with it.
2. This one has been mentioned but the hot sweet idea is one I’ve had. Now it’s a broad one so it could be limited to say Ice Cream or Homemade Ice Cream or homemade candies.
3. Throw Down Amuse-bouche is a single, bite-sized hors d’œuvre. The term is French, literally translated to "mouth amuser". Amuse-bouches are different from appetizers in that they are not ordered from a menu by patrons, but, when served, are done so according to the chef's selection alone. These, often accompanied by a complementing wine, are served as a little teaser for the taste buds both to prepare the guest for the meal and to offer a glimpse into the chef's approach to cooking.
4. I know I just did it in the last one but a Paella TD might be fun as there are traditional ways and now-a-days just about anything goes with them.
5. Vegetarian meal, it must have a complete protein (that’s the fun part)
6. Crepes, could even narrow it down into sweet or savory

Cheers,
RM

tater tot TD

deep fried in bacon grease

covered in cheese and peppers

wrapped in bacon

covered in panko

bam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back