• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

DEEDS ROOT CITY

*Information about added varieties on page 3*

Hey everyone! Long time lurker here... been using this site as an incredible resource for my everlasting search for face-melting heat. Decided to finally put all the knowledge I've gained to use, and grow my first super-hots!

This year was my first ever outdoor garden (and things went great!) along with many typical garden veggies, I grew some Thai chili's and orange habanero's. It's so awesome seeing all your hard work end up at the kitchen table. That being said... I've got growing fever now! Our outdoor season here in Idaho ends in Sept. - Oct. if you're lucky, and doesn't start back up until April-May'ish. That leaves me all winter with nothing to grow. So I decided to move things indoors to hold me over. I've always been fascinated with hydroponics and figured this would be the perfect time to dabble.

Enough with the boring background... and onto the juicy part: details and photos!

My grow includes:
Two 7 pots: Brain Strain and Douglah 
Thai Chili (saved seed from summer plant)
Nature's Bites: a cherry tomato (had some new seeds I wanted to try)

I had some storage under my stairs that I was able to convert into a makeshift grow room. I am using a 600w HPS bulb, and General Hydroponics Flora 3 part nutes.

In addition to my grow, I decided to conduct a mini experiment on seed starting... I read tons of stuff online about soaking seeds to speed up germination. Especially when soaked in a mild Hydrogen Peroxide solution. There was much debate whether soaking made any improvements so I though the best way would be to answer the question myself. I planted 12 seeds of each variety, 6 natural and six soaked for 24hours in a H2O2 solution. The "Natural" (un-soaked) seeds went in 11/13/13, and the soaked went in 11/14/13.

20131113_160120.jpg

11/18/13: my tomatoes popped (no difference between soaked/natural)
20131118_083706.jpg

11/20/13: my first Thai chili's popped (natural first)
20131120_180359.jpg

11/25/13: several Brain Strain's and Douglah's are up (mixed between soaked/natural)
20131125_155137.jpg

12/02/13: starting to see some real progress in the seedlings!
20131202_092522.jpg

12/07/13: even more growth all around
20131210_111921.jpg

12/07/13: first look at my grow area
20131207_154704.jpg

12/09/13: first transplant! (Needless to say I nuked those poor plants with a blast furnace right above them) Its a learning experiment, right!? Good thing I started way more than I needed for backups.
20131209_124233.jpg

12/27/13: after several rounds of trial and error I was able to get my plants to take in my new grow room
1555550_932397032234_2029487405_n.jpg

NOTES:

Brain Strain-
11/22/13: 1st sprout up (Natural)
11/25/13: 4 H202 sprouts up, 2nd Natural
12/2/13: 5/6 Natural + 6/6 H202, first set true leaves on couple plants
12/3/13 First fertilizer soak (diluted)
12/6/13 Second fertilizer soak (diluted)

Douglah:
11/25/13: 3 Natural sprouts, and first tip of H202 sprout up
12/2/13: 5/6 Natural + 3/6 H202, first set true leaves on couple plants
12/3/13 First fertilizer soak (diluted)
12/6/13 Second fertilizer soak (diluted)

Nature's Bites (tomato):
11/18/13: 6/6 Natural + 5/6 H202 (over weekend)
11/22/13: Most plants have first true leaves (still small)
11/25/13: First fertilizer soak (diluted)
12/2/13: Multiple sets true leaves
12/3/13 Second fertilizer soak (diluted)
12/6/13 Third fertilizer soak (diluted)

Thai Chili (Hybrid? saved seed from summer garden):
11/19/13: First glimpse of sprout (Natural)
11/22/13: 5/6 Natural + 2/3 H202
12/2/13: Most plants have established true leaves

Fertilizing (nutes): General Hyroponics Flora Series 3pt (Grow/Bloom/Micro):
Waited to add any nutrition until first true leaves had formed, but added fertilized water immediately after since rockwool is sterile and inert, I figured the little plants would get hungry fast.

While plants were still in the propagation tray I would flood the bottom with nutrient solution and allow the rockwool to soak up as much as it could, and drain out whatever water was left. I would do this as often as the rockwool felt dry: initially about once a week, moving to multiple times per week as the plants grew larger. At this point I was using 1ml grow + 1ml bloom + 2ml micro / gallon water. ~300ppm

When plants were first moved into their grow buckets, I used 2tbsp grow, 1.5 tbsp micro, and .5tbsp bloom / ~4 gallons water. ~7-800ppm
    -May be a little high for some varieties, Thai and tomato loved it, 7pots got some serious nute burn. Maybe try 500ppm

First signs of blooms/blossom drop on tomato nutes were changed to 3tbsp bloom + 1.5tbsp micro + .5tbsp grow / ~3 gallons water. ~880ppm

Tap water here is about pH8+ so I was being lazy at first, and not testing or adjusting my pH. Once I noticed some iron/magnesium deficiency symptoms in my peppers, I realized I needed to be checking my pH as some nutes were getting locked out. After testing, and realized I needed to add about 1/2 cap full of pH Down to each nute refresh and check to make sure pH was starting around 5.5 and climbing over the time it was used. This cleared the symptoms pretty quickly.

Transplanting:
12/9/13 first transplant: WAAAAYYYY too early, absolutely fried those things. Need to wait much longer 3+ true leaf sets, and keep the light high until they plants are used to it.

Plants are looking real nice Nick. Looks like you got the hydro thing down.

One bit of experience I'll pass on. The abundance of water roots that a full grown plant has from the winter in a bubble bucket will mean that it will never adapt well to soil life. You can bring them outdoors, but you will want to keep them hydro and a drip system will serve you better than bubble buckets outside.

My 2013 glog has some info on this.

Jeff H said:
Plants are looking real nice Nick. Looks like you got the hydro thing down.

One bit of experience I'll pass on. The abundance of water roots that a full grown plant has from the winter in a bubble bucket will mean that it will never adapt well to soil life. You can bring them outdoors, but you will want to keep them hydro and a drip system will serve you better than bubble buckets outside.

My 2013 glog has some info on this.

Thanks Jeff. When I comes time for moving outdoors I will definitely be looking up some info on your glog about drip systems. You said you also use CalMag right? I'm thinking I might have to pick some up, thought the curling on my leaves was over feeding, but now I'm thinking it might be a calcium deficiency. 1 tsp/ gallon?
Well, today wasn't so awesome. Came home to this:  :banghead:
20140129_193727.jpg

Did a small amount of damage to the Brain, more so to the Douglah, but I did my best at straightening them all back out. The peppers should be just fine, the tomato on the other hand has seen better days, I had to do some massive surgery... Saved the biggest tomatoes, hoping to have them ripen, we'll see. 

The hydroton growing media does not do well for supporting the stakes, and cutting off all the growth I'd worked so hard to gain, was very frustrating. :(  But this is year one and it's all a learning experiment I guess. I probably wont be growing tomatoes anymore unless I get a much larger indoor space.

Post surgery:
20140129_203219.jpg

I was able to get the latest look at root development post surgery, and its crazy to me how many roots these things put out, and getting a firsthand look is pretty cool.
20140129_201825.jpg

Well, now that that is out of the way... at least I can update that the Thai (flowering) and Brain are absolutely LOADED with buds. Douglah is still struggling a bit in that department, but there are a couple.

Couple things...first before I read it all the way through I would have though a cat ate that leaf...that is odd. Second...on the hydro for my own personal reference, if you trimmed the plant and roots back before plant out might it have a better time adapting? Sort of like an overwinter but not quite as severe...I would think that if you did that maybe 3 weeks before it went outside and left it under the lights to veg out a bit before going outdoors it might adapt better???

Very odd, not really sure what to make of it.

I have also heard of giving the plants a good trim (especially the roots) before planting in soil. But I have never tried it. Since I have both a Douglah and Brain in soil already maybe I can do some experimentation with the hydros to soil and see what happens. If I lose them, I ha e backups.

aw so your tomato just fell over? i can see how they would be a hassle indoors, when i grow them outside they get like 6ft x 4 ft.

Interesting leaf

Jamison said:
Coming along really nicely! Doing a fantastic job Nick!

Thanks Jamison, that's the encouragement I need after yesterdays failure!

stc3248 said:
Don't lose them on account of my hair-brained question! I was just wondering and I know nothing about hydro.

Oh if I lose them it wont be chalked up against you. I look at it this way, I'm still new to the game here, and might as well have fun trying stuff and experimenting. Unless I try things for myself, everything will all just be internet hearsay... and we all know that everything on the internet is TRUE, right!?  ;)

OKGrowin said:
aw so your tomato just fell over? i can see how they would be a hassle indoors, when i grow them outside they get like 6ft x 4 ft.

Interesting leaf

Yep. The bamboo I was using wasn't up to snuff holding that monster in place, especially when it started adding tons of fruit. I chalk it up to my own stupidity, since i tried bamboo stakes in soil this year (and soil holds a hell of a lot better than loose expanded clay pellets) and that didn't work, so I'm not really sure why I thought this would work.  :shame: Rookie mistake.

Turned the lights down to 12on/12off since all plants are now either fruiting, blooming, or budding.

Decided to pick up some GH CALiMAGic (calcium and magnesium) supplement for my plants today. Added 1 Tbsp to each of they hydro buckets. The peppers were getting some gnarly leaf curl.

Office plants were looking a little hungry, so I added 1 tsp each of: micro, bloom, grow, and CalMag to a gallon of water and gave them all about an 8oz drink. The soil is supposed to have some fert in it, so hopefully I dont nuke them.

And finally, I was able to get my new rockwool cubes soaked in RO water, and on the heat mat so tomorrow morning I can plant all the non annum varieties into their nice new warm homes. :dance:

Nick08* said:

Anybody seen leaves like this before?
20140129_083256.jpg

I've seen that happen to a few of my plants over the years. I'm convinced it's the result of mechanical damage to the very tip of a meristem. Tiny scrapes on the margin of a primordial leaf won't be "repaired" as the leaf grows and enlarges. So any small amount of damage will just be extrapolated onto the size of the full-grown leaf. I'm seeing it a lot lately on some aphid-infested seedlings. The meristems tend to get knocked around when I pick off aphids with a q-tip.
     BTW, I'm glad to see you're still hanging on to your "office plants". That's totally something I would do! I have such a hard time parting with plants that I don't have the room for / can't shove off onto a friend. Hopefully they'll find a home in an outdoor garden (yours or a coworker's) this spring!

dash 2 said:

I've seen that happen to a few of my plants over the years. I'm convinced it's the result of mechanical damage to the very tip of a meristem. Tiny scrapes on the margin of a primordial leaf won't be "repaired" as the leaf grows and enlarges. So any small amount of damage will just be extrapolated onto the size of the full-grown leaf. I'm seeing it a lot lately on some aphid-infested seedlings. The meristems tend to get knocked around when I pick off aphids with a q-tip.
     BTW, I'm glad to see you're still hanging on to your "office plants". That's totally something I would do! I have such a hard time parting with plants that I don't have the room for / can't shove off onto a friend. Hopefully they'll find a home in an outdoor garden (yours or a coworker's) this spring!

Interesting theory. Thanks for the input! Haven't seen any aphids... but maybe things were damaged between all the transplants that thing has seen?

I think I will definitely be able to get them to spring, either in my garden, a work garden, or friends!

Jeff H said:
Sorry about the tomato Nick. Here is a thread that might help. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/39636-hydroponic-plant-support/

It took me quite a while to find cause the search options here isn't all that great (you hear that THP?), but there is a wealth of info in those old posts if you can find them. 

Thanks Jeff. I too agree that thew search function here can be less than useful sometimes. But I'm glad you were able to find that thread... loving some of those ideas! Especially the pvc cage with strings for training those tomatoes! Lots of ideas for the future now...

OK, well, 6 new varieties sown! Came into the office this morning, and the dome was at 85.1 degrees (cooled down while I seeded) perfect new home for the seeds.

Varieties planted:

Carolina Reaper
Bahamian Goat
Fatalii
Brazilian Starfish
Aji Pineapple
Red Rocoto

20140131_091017.jpg

20140131_090708.jpg

20140131_090715.jpg

Thanks HillBilly! Its really not so strange once you get the hang of it... but I can see how it would appear really odd. You are right though, the roots just go insane in these tings, Plus the fact that you are able to look at them is so interesting to me!  :think:

Well, the plants either loved the change in lighting times, or the CalMag, or both. Things seem to be progressing nicely and all plants have made growth. Leaves still looking a big curled on the Brain, but less than they were. Hopefully it continues to improve. Despite a huge haircut, the tomato is ripening and changing color.

Will be doing a nute refresh tomorrow. I'm changing once a week now, even though PPM is remaining fairly high on all but the tomato, I'm just being precautious. 

Tomato:
20140201_153937.jpg
20140201_153909.jpg

Thai'Brid:
20140201_154346.jpg
20140201_154307.jpg

Brain Strain:
20140201_154455.jpg
20140201_154437.jpg

Douglah:
20140201_154548.jpg

Whole Room:
20140201_154651.jpg

Thanks Scoville! I was pretty bummed afterwards as well, but things seem to be turning out OK after all! I'll definitely keep the pics coming! :)

Not pepper related but I recently ran across this video and love it! It was put together by our visitors/conventions Bureau and I think it does a great job of showing what we're all about here in Idaho. I posted it on hottoddy's glog because he's moving to the Treasure Valley, but I wanted to post it here too for anyone following my glog.

Another reason I wanted to share it is that most people know nothing about Idaho! Usually their response is, "Oh, I've been to Iowa before." Or, "do you live in a giant potato?" haha. I love my State (and city)! The best part... Everything in this video is 45min or less from my front doorstep :) Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRhGeau8RlE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Back