• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying Dehydrating Peppers

a helpful hint.

When grinding in the coffee grinder use a barely moist paper-towel and use it as a outter seal while grinding, this will help catch any dust that may escape during the process. Also give a top of a few raps lightly with your knuckle/finger tip to knock any excess off the sides and wait a moment for it to settle while taking off  slowly.

.....Enjoy ! :dance:

JoynersHotPeppers said:
If you dont care about the color crank the heat up, if you do then don't go above 120ish. I have pods that take 5+ days...

OhioHeat said:
I've never had a issue with any noticeable discoloring when I've been drying the least 5 years.

I run mine around 135-140F.  cut mine in half, sometimes 3rd's depending on size....stem-free of course.

don't overload it and go by the makers suggested spacing (sortof)

I use both a Presto (controllable temp) and a Oster which runs about 150 constantly.

These run anywhere from 14-18 hours.

....and below are the results. I just took these out of the jars today to crush and grind for some orders.

I do smoke mine with apple-wood for about 2 hours (low and slow) and that's where most of my discoloring comes from I beleive.

edit:....Forgot to say these are Scotch Bonnets.

attachicon.gif
SBdried01.JPG
---------------------------------------------
attachicon.gif
SBdried02.JPG
---------------------------------------------

Is it only color that is affected by drying at high temp?  Of is flavor/heat also affected?  I too have a Nesco that I have been using for a couple years, and I have always dried at the "Fruits & Vegetables" setting, which is 135 degrees.  I've been happy with the results, but would definitely go with a lower temp if it affects heat/flavor. 

BB

I can tell if pods are dried higher verse lower temps. I also have been doing powders for 20 years. If you think about the crushed red pepper you can buy at any grocery store it has hardly any flavor and color is poor. Take those same peppers and dry them yourself lower and you get taste, amazing smell and beautiful color. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I can tell if pods are dried higher verse lower temps. I also have been doing powders for 20 years. If you think about the crushed red pepper you can buy at any grocery store it has hardly any flavor and color is poor. Take those same peppers and dry them yourself lower and you get taste, amazing smell and beautiful color. 
+1

A lot depends on how you process them. If you do the work and cut them up into small pieces, they dry a lot faster. If you overload them, then it takes longer as well. I have one that does not have a fan, and mine take about 24 hours if that. Of course you have to rotate them, and pay attention to pieces that might not be drying because of bad airflow. Its a matter of what you want. If you don't want to do the work, its going to take longer than if you do. I'm not knocking that way; to each their own. I personally prefer to do the work, and have them finish much sooner.

I personally use a coffee grinder. It helps in this case to really loading them up, then after just a few seconds of grinding, add more until its really full. By doing that it allows the grinder to do its job, instead of just spinning the material at the top. If you don't load it up, it will not become powder, or only a portion of it will. So to reiterate; do not load up the dehydrator, but do load up the grinder.

AlabamaJack said:
I know I keep on talking about a magic bullet to grind dehydrated pods with....and the main reason is the capacity it will grind at one time....you just can't grind as much with a coffee grinder...
Thanks for the tip. How much powder can the MB process in comparison to a coffee grinder?

AaronTT said:
Thanks for the tip. How much powder can the MB process in comparison to a coffee grinder?
I tried and then quit using coffee grinders because of the small amount of peppers I could grind at one time and the hassle of fine dust that always leaks out when grinding.  Then I discovered that I already had the "perfect"  pepper grinding appliance.  I wish I had the $$ back that I blew on coffee grinders.  
For the last several years I grind my powders using a very common (Oster) 12 speed blender, with the cutter installed in a regular Mason jar.( the square jars are more efficient that the round ones) 
Depending on the amount of peppers I'm grinding at the time I can select a quart, pint,or 1/2 pint jar, and since it is air tight....and I never have an issue with any dust leaking out during the grinding process. 
CM

Chili Monsta said:
I tried and then quit using coffee grinders because of the small amount of peppers I could grind at one time and the hassle of fine dust that always leaks out when grinding.  Then I discovered that I already had the "perfect"  pepper grinding appliance.  I wish I had the $$ back that I blew on coffee grinders.  
For the last several years I grind my powders using a very common (Oster) 12 speed blender, with the cutter installed in a regular Mason jar.( the square jars are more efficient that the round ones) 
Depending on the amount of peppers I'm grinding at the time I can select a quart, pint,or 1/2 pint jar, and since it is air tight....and I never have an issue with any dust leaking out during the grinding process. 
CM
How does that work, or should I say how did you install a cutter in a mason jar? Do you have any photos in order for me picture what you are talking about?

I've got to admit I am very annoyed at the powder that seeps through the sides, causing a loss of material.

The regular mason jars are same thread size as most blenders and screw on instead of the blender glass/plastic. I use all wide mouth jars therefore do not employ this tactic. Much easier to scoop from wide mouth than regular ;) 

What kind of grinder are you using that seeps through the side?

AaronTT said:
How does that work, or should I say how did you install a cutter in a mason jar? Do you have any photos in order for me picture what you are talking about?

I've got to admit I am very annoyed at the powder that seeps through the sides, causing a loss of material.
The cutter assembly on the blender is the same size and threads as a regular sized mason jar(or Ball,Kerr or some mayonnaise, condiments jars)  Once I finish grinding the powder, I transfer it to an air tight storage container.
Cutter/blade assy from blender

Installed in quart jar

Here are some other sizes I use as required
("Blend and Go" smoothie maker...two sizes of jelly jars....pint condiment jar )

CM

How about Molcajetes, anyone use these? I was thinking of getting one, seems like it would allow better control of the grinding.

Back