• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying Dehydrating Peppers

+1 on the blender with mason jar. I rotate and shake it a bit while grinding and get fine powder.

Lots of seeds will lighten up the color too. If you want it deep red, watch the heat plus deseed. That can be time consuming, so many don't care. Some dehydrate pods upside down so more seeds fall out. Some dehydrate cut side up, claiming it preserves more capsaicin. I don't think that makes any difference as to heat level.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
The regular mason jars are same thread size as most blenders and screw on instead of the blender glass/plastic. I use all wide mouth jars therefore do not employ this tactic. Much easier to scoop from wide mouth than regular ;)

What kind of grinder are you using that seeps through the side?

I have been using a Hamilton Beach Custom coffee grinder, here is a link for reference. When it grinds the powder rises up, and spills out into the bottom where you connect the plastic part with the blade to the main housing as its not tight fitting and has a very small amount of space around its sides. POS it is.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/5696973725108910401?q=coffee+grinder&client=firefox-a&hs=7vq&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=nts&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.73231344,d.aWw,pv.xjs.s.en_US.REnTyI5MwPc.O&biw=1280&bih=666&tch=1&ech=1&psi=QqbzU97gKJOjyQSF8YLoDw.1408476776655.3&ei=SqbzU9-2FJCBygTYy4DoBA&ved=0CMQBEKYrMAI

Thanks for the tip and explanation. I have not seen this done, so I learned something new today.

Chili Monsta said:
The cutter assembly on the blender is the same size and threads as a regular sized mason jar(or Ball,Kerr or some mayonnaise, condiments jars)  Once I finish grinding the powder, I transfer it to an air tight storage container.
Cutter/blade assy from blender

Installed in quart jar

Here are some other sizes I use as required
("Blend and Go" smoothie maker...two sizes of jelly jars....pint condiment jar )

CM
Thanks for posting those pictures, that looks like it works really good. I am going to switch over for sure. Appreciate it guys.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I dry so many pods I would need to use gallon mason jars to make it worth while :) Very few pods fit in those 16 or 32 oz jars.
Damn :shocked: , what do you use if you don't mind me asking?

What about drying my pods in the meantime? Horrible timing on my dehydrator malfunction. Need to do preserve these before they start to soften on my kitchen counter. I have a convection roster oven. That's the only thing I can think of without research. Thanks gents!

ColdSmoke said:
What about drying my pods in the meantime? Horrible timing on my dehydrator malfunction. Need to do preserve these before they start to soften on my kitchen counter. I have a convection roster oven. That's the only thing I can think of without research. Thanks gents!

I'd pop them into the freezer, then thaw and dehydrate when you get the new machine.

Back