• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2017-Having a good time in the dirt

Another season has come and gone. Time to start a new one!

Although I did already a few weeks ago :shh: . After last years dismal (late) start I jumped in a bit early to insure I could have viable plants come dirt day. I can always cut them back, if I need to. I have to compile a list yet, but I'm growing the full spectrum. Sweets, to supers, based upon what we will actually use. Most of my list is to make LB happy; I'm really glad to see her infuse peppers in more and more dishes. Can't beat that when the wife takes interest ;)

1.jpg

Not the best pic; but the shelf is being sketchy, and I don't need all the babies bouncing off the floor.

Good luck to all this season :party:

Numnum, man! Gotta do that.....uh, your meatballs have kinda square edges, though. You might roll them just a little longer...;>)

OCD Chilehead said:
Dang! All caught up.

Hope your pain goes away. My neighbors across the way swear by those electro shock thingies. They've been using them for years. I have bad nerve pain. You just get tired of being tired.

Here's me trying my neighbors electric shock stimulator.
Get well.
attachicon.gif
IMG_0946.JPG
Scott, I am catching up on your glog and came to this post.I had to laugh because I've got a tens unit running on my back and right hip now.They do work buddy.Make sure the pads are secure on your body or you will get that pissing on an electric fence jolt.

I am caught up and as usual am in envy of your weather.Glad you have a date as I do in 6 years to call it a wrap on our working for others years.We have light at the end of the tunnel buddy. :dance:  :onfire:  :party: I am heading over to Ricks house to say hi.It is great to know you're going to be a part of my 2017...

stickman said:
I'm glad the Gochus are doing so well for you Scott! Double Hail Yeeah on the Stromboli too!

Thanks Rick!

I took a check on the plants and one of the Gochu's already is budding up! They don't waste any time do they? Just 60 days to dirt day, I'm going to have to try the plastic mulch on a few this season. If I can get my new broken car fixed this week it should free time up..

randyp said:
Scott, I am catching up on your glog and came to this post.I had to laugh because I've got a tens unit running on my back and right hip now.They do work buddy.Make sure the pads are secure on your body or you will get that pissing on an electric fence jolt.
 Hi Randy!

Good to see you! It's been 32 years since I used one. It was my back way back then. I'm sorry that you're needing one. When are you going to get the hip done?  Please don't wait so long that you stress the good one. I know a few who have..I'm coming along with the shoulder. It still tingles in my right hand some, but I can use the arm again...Doing my best to behave and not do too much. The alternative is to sit down and have a beer, some how I find that quite easy to do :D

Devv said:

Thanks Rick!

I took a check on the plants and one of the Gochu's already is budding up! They don't waste any time do they? Just 60 days to dirt day, I'm going to have to try the plastic mulch on a few this season. If I can get my new broken car fixed this week it should free time up..

True enough Scott... Korea is a land of temperature extremes and a short growing season, so they require their chiles to produce fairly quickly. The only hot Annuum I've known to produce quicker is the Chimayo chile from the mountains of northern New Mexico. I'm morally certain you'll like the results you get from using the plastic mulch. Keep us posted when you do.

randyp said:
I am caught up and as usual am in envy of your weather.Glad you have a date as I do in 6 years to call it a wrap on our working for others years.We have light at the end of the tunnel buddy. :dance:  :onfire:  :party: I am heading over to Ricks house to say hi.It is great to know you're going to be a part of my 2017...

Yeah the weather here for the last 2 weeks has been spring like. The Peaches are flowering, Asparagus coming up...hoping they don't get a bad surprise. We have 45 days of who knows what ahead. Hope they can hang!

Yeah Baby! Less than 3 years left! I'm bailing at the first available time. I could retire now, but need to have a full 20 for the health benefits. By then I'll be at 47 years of 40 or more hours a week. 61 isn't a bad year to retire, and SS kicks in about 6 months later. I can't wait until I don't care what day of the week it is or what time of the day..

We earned it buddy!

Good luck this season!

Looking good my friend. I'm going to have to try that tomato sauce. I know I've seen you recipe for dough somewhere. Can't seem to find it. I think it may be in Pizza thread or glog of years past.

Anyways. Hope you had a great weekend.

Devv said:
The older plants, oh boy, I'm already in trouble. They are getting way too big too fast. But.....this is way better than tiny.

I have to agree, I admire (envy) all your plants that are now growing too fast. I like that struggle more than the wait for them to settle in as tiny buggers before they start having growth spurts... I'm at the waiting for tiny plants to grow stage...

My Pubes in the #1 pots were on the driveway when the 40mph winds ran through here a few days ago. It beat them up pretty bad and I need a whipping for leaving them out there. One plant looked like a torch had been put up to it. All the leaves are toasted; thankfully it's putting new growth on. Too embarrassed to show them  :confused:  :rolleyes:  Film at 11....

Well, if you let your pubes air out in public in some places (Key West comes to mind) you will likely find someone to do the whipping. But never be embarrassed to show your pubes proudly, regardless of how good or bad you think they look.

OCD Chilehead said:
Looking good my friend. I'm going to have to try that tomato sauce. I know I've seen you recipe for dough somewhere. Can't seem to find it. I think it may be in Pizza thread or glog of years past.

Anyways. Hope you had a great weekend.

Thanks Chuck!

I should put the recipe for dough on the web page, I know I posted it, but where? I'll check and see if I have a copy on the PC somewhere ;)

Essegi said:
Of course! :D
Looks good!
And thanks for recipe page! 10-12 hours of cooking should be really good for italian sauce, i think at max i stopped at 4 hours with genovese neapolitan sauce, but i believe it can be easily over 6 hours::
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/59939-genovese-napoletana-sauce/

Thanks!

That's my Grandfathers old recipe. Any time we went to his house he had a pot going ;)  Mom is of German decent but she nailed it and passed the recipe down to us.

Thanks for the link, it's now book marked and will be made for sure.

stettoman said:
I showed The Darlin' Bride your square meatball dish.

She went to the store yesterday and came home with----whole milk mozzarella. I know what I'm in for.

Thank you Scott.

Are you going to make the sauce? The meals are endless. Chicken cutlet Parma- use boneless chicken breast sliced to 3/8 to 5/16 of an inch. Run through a tenderizer (we have a neat handcrank unit), dip in beaten eggs and add Italian breadcrumbs. We fry up a few pounds and freeze them. For two add a few in a small pan, cover with just enough sauce. Bake until the sauce is bubbling a bit. Add the Mozzarella. Poof meal! Meatball heros, of course with the Mozzarella. And then the Stombolli, Spaghetti, don't forget the Grated Mozzarella and hand grated romano cheese. Baked ziti, stuffed shells. Ok now I'm hungry. But LB spoils me with this all the time.

FiresOfNil said:

I have to agree, I admire (envy) all your plants that are now growing too fast. I like that struggle more than the wait for them to settle in as tiny buggers before they start having growth spurts... I'm at the waiting for tiny plants to grow stage...

Well, if you let your pubes air out in public in some places (Key West comes to mind) you will likely find someone to do the whipping. But never be embarrassed to show your pubes proudly, regardless of how good or bad you think they look.

Hi Fonzie!

Yes, much better to have to throttle them than wait. Here it's a narrow window for pepper success in the spring.

Pubes? ROFLMAO!

stickman said:
True enough Scott... Korea is a land of temperature extremes and a short growing season, so they require their chiles to produce fairly quickly. The only hot Annuum I've known to produce quicker is the Chimayo chile from the mountains of northern New Mexico. I'm morally certain you'll like the results you get from using the plastic mulch. Keep us posted when you do.

Hi Rick,

I think we crossed close enough during post time that I missed this. Sorry.

I've made up my mind I'm going to try the plastic mulch, the crazy thing is our temp variation. Tomorrow and the rest of the week: 50's in the AM to 75+ in the afternoon. And 10 days from now we could see 31° in the AM with 43° as a high. So I have to watch real close what the temps do.

Devv said:

Hi Rick,

I think we crossed close enough during post time that I missed this. Sorry.

I've made up my mind I'm going to try the plastic mulch, the crazy thing is our temp variation. Tomorrow and the rest of the week: 50's in the AM to 75+ in the afternoon. And 10 days from now we could see 31° in the AM with 43° as a high. So I have to watch real close what the temps do.

Cool! Yeah, you'll have to dance fairly close attendance opening up the ends of the low row cover to let out excess heat on warm sunny days and buttoning up an hour or so before sundown to hold it in at night. I'd wait until the overnight low temperatures are consistently in the 50's to remove the low row cover entirely. Are you still planning to use the "wobbler" system for watering your chiles? That may not work through the plastic, but laying drip tape underneath the plastic when you put it down should do nicely... or you could cut the bottom off of half-liter water bottles and bury them next to each plant. I find a half-liter of water per plant twice a day is plenty... even during midsummer here. You might need more where you are though... You're the best judge of that. Good luck!

Back