• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2017-Having a good time in the dirt

Another season has come and gone. Time to start a new one!

Although I did already a few weeks ago :shh: . After last years dismal (late) start I jumped in a bit early to insure I could have viable plants come dirt day. I can always cut them back, if I need to. I have to compile a list yet, but I'm growing the full spectrum. Sweets, to supers, based upon what we will actually use. Most of my list is to make LB happy; I'm really glad to see her infuse peppers in more and more dishes. Can't beat that when the wife takes interest ;)

1.jpg

Not the best pic; but the shelf is being sketchy, and I don't need all the babies bouncing off the floor.

Good luck to all this season :party:

stettoman said:

May I assume someone had the dreaded rotator tendons reattached? Trust me, in a year that shoulder will feel like you stole it from Supaman!! 

I had 3 tendons in my right shoulder reattached 3 years ago, followed by the most excruciating rehab I've ever experienced. I was told it is the single most painful recovery you'll ever go through.

Slept in a La Z Boy for two months, maybe longer, wearing a half-straight-jacket to immobilize the arm, haven't sat in a recliner since because of it.

The phys therapy is hell too.

But OH am I better! It's now the strongest joint in my body.

The trick is patience. And pain. And doing their stupid exercises and routines...

But I just stopped by to 'Attaboy' my buddy from Devine.... :party:

Thanks Eric!

Sorry to hear you went through the shoulder "thang". I wish they had fixed mine in the 80's, guess they were scared, and now it's too late. So I live on the rehab train...LOL

Plants are looking great, off to a nice early start. Sucks about the shoulder. Did something similar a few years ago pushing too hard at P90X. Drives me nuts some days.

You're going to have pods before I can even plant out at this rate.

D3monic said:
Plants are looking great, off to a nice early start. Sucks about the shoulder. Did something similar a few years ago pushing too hard at P90X. Drives me nuts some days.

You're going to have pods before I can even plant out at this rate.

Thanks!

Yeah, I trashed my shoulder 30 years ago hopping a 4' chain link fence. The top rail collapsed, and I landed on my neck and shoulder. Suffered an AC separation, just glad I didn't break my neck, as my feet were over my head when the rail broke.

Well I will have early pods, but my season is really short unless I keep them alive for the extra 90 days to get the fall crop. The heat ramps up so fast here, by late May early June they are done setting until September. I love the garden, but a 12 month grow gets rather old. BTW, I'll be picking tomorrow. I still have 7 plants in pots that I moved into the shop before the 18° weekend we just had. Funny, now it's been 75-80° all week.

Ow, 30 years....I guess mine is the same but different. I've been tearing the various tendons up over the span of the same 30 years, but I got lucky with a really good surgeon who was willing to try and literally dig the tendon that had been torn the longest out from the top of my neck and stretch it back where it belongs.

I just now got off the phone with our guitar player, who owns an oil well south of San Antonio and goes down there this time every year to service and do maintenance. He said the grass doesn't look right down there after those 20 degree nights.

We'll do what we can to keep our sub-zeroes where they belong!!

Hey Eric,

I wish they would have fixed mine when it happened, they said it didn't need surgery. Wrong!

I've heard about tendons retracting way far from where they belong...but that's crazy!

Here's the 10 day forecast:

9.jpg

If I knew those temps would stick I'd be direct sowing in the dirt!

Worked outside all weekend, got some serious work done too ;)  Tomatoes have been sown, and any peppers that haven't come up have been replanted.

10.jpg

Got the onions planted.

11.jpg

Used the chipper/shredder to make about 18 gallons of homemade biochar. This is slow cooked in the kiln I built so it's only heated just enough to make char. I have more to grind, but had lots else to do.

12.jpg

The Garlic survived the teens we had last weekend. I'm hoping I planted enough!

13.jpg

These Pineapples lost it with the "big freeze" coldest here since 1989. No more planting them in the dirt!

18.jpg

Glad we had some in pots to put up when the cold hit.

14.jpg

Carrots coming back after a haircut, the top pretty much died. We lost all the lettuce, and the Broccoli looked so badly burned LB pulled it up.

15.jpg

16.jpg

Pubes are out in the sun on the driveway until the next cold weather shows. I see some flowers!

17.jpg

I did some serious snipping this morning, most have just 1 plant per pot. The others, I'll divide next weekend. I have another flat of really young gals under the T8's, these are under a T5. Sorry for the background blur...

I think I hit 10. Oh another Growdown plant hooked this morning :dance:

Thanks Terry!

Gardening here is a year round process. We strive to grow what we use most to cut down produce costs and it's chemical free produce. So it's a win, win solution. That and just being outside makes it all worthwhile ;)  Next to hit dirt are the potatoes. LB loves the homegrown red ones. Heck she helps plant and weed, I'll grow anything she wants! :P

Devv said:
Thanks for all the well wishes! I'm really excited about this season as you can see by the early start ;)

And Chuck, a BOC and a ScotchBrain have popped. Thanks for the seeds!

Here's the list in no special order:

MoA
BOC
Urfa Bieber
Aji Lemmon Drop
JigHab
Poblano
Purple Jalapeno
Jalapeno
Big Black Mama
JA Hab
Jalmundo
Hatch
Jimmy Nardello
Pimenta de Neyde
Red Manzano
Tigermamp
Bahamian Goat
Billy Biker
ScotchBrain
Carolina Reaper
Gochu
Kurts (I'd have to look up the full name)
White Bhut
Large Orange Thai
Naga Brain F5
Aji Dulce
Aji Amarillo
Aji Largo
Guatemalan Red Rocoto
Yellow Rocoto
Aji Oro
Mini Rocotto Red.

I think that's everything ;)
Hi Scott! Just coming back on line after my time away during the holidays. Those Kurts are Kurtovska Kakijas I got from MrNo in Croatia a few years back. Good luck with 2017!

OCD Chilehead said:
Dang! All caught up.

Hope your pain goes away. My neighbors across the way swear by those electro shock thingies. They've been using them for years. I have bad nerve pain. You just get tired of being tired.

Here's me trying my neighbors electric shock stimulator.
Get well.
yup ! got me one of those !  their awesome for sore muscles

Devv said:
The sleeping on that repaired shoulder might just take some time, I'm not one for sleeping on my back. But sometimes it's the only way I can sleep, but then I snore, and catch elbows and shakes from LB. No rest for the weary. Two things OTC that help sleep. Melatonin and Benadryl, but they need to be taken just before you crawl into bed. Should help for the first 4 hours ;)

What's really a shame is I know this crap :shh:
yep , been on the zzzzzquil train , helps a little , can't sleep on the back either , and hate the left side , so i'm way out of sorts !  

stickman said:
Hi Scott! Just coming back on line after my time away during the holidays. Those Kurts are Kurtovska Kakijas I got from MrNo in Croatia a few years back. Good luck with 2017!

Thanks Rick!

Good to see you're back!

I sent some of the Kurtovska Kakijas seeds out and looked on the net for about 30 minutes trying to nail down the real name (I was at work) thanks for reintroducing me to the real name ;)

OCD Chilehead said:
Dang! All caught up.

Hope your pain goes away. My neighbors across the way swear by those electro shock thingies. They've been using them for years. I have bad nerve pain. You just get tired of being tired.

Here's me trying my neighbors electric shock stimulator.
Get well.

Hi Chuck!

I used a tens unit back in the 80's for my first fun with a back injury, they work just fine. Speaking of fine....well I really shouldn't comment on the picture. But I bet that person has no problem getting help applying the patches! I could go on, better my better self says hush now.. ;)
moruga welder said:
yup ! got me one of those !  their awesome for sore muscles

moruga welder said:
yep , been on the zzzzzquil train , helps a little , can't sleep on the back either , and hate the left side , so i'm way out of sorts !  

I feel ya! But as long as you're improving, all is good!

So I'm kinda struggling with a camera I bought a few months ago. I gave the 13 year old Cannon D60 to my daughter. She just had a baby and figured she could use a decent camera. Dang that camera took great pics, not me though..LOL. The new one is a Nikon D3300, it's specs blow the old Cannon away, but it's closer to entry level. Where as the Cannon was a professional grade device "back in the day". I don't need any of the "pro" options, so I went this direction, and it saved a few bucks. It's just so different. So please put with me as I figure this out.

So, a few pics from today. I'm pleased with progress so far.

Picked the last ripe pods of the season yesterday.

19.jpg

Seeds were labeled MoA, OP seeds, so we have a cross, I'm guessing a JA Hab. They're in the dehydrator, along with some Habs. I saved some seeds just to see how they do.

20.jpg

21.jpg

A few pubes, seeds from Dale. They have a nice jump on the season.

25.jpg

From one of the GrowDown pots.

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

Some better pics of the oldest plants, still have quite a few "just popped" babies in the wings.

Scott, you mentioned not understanding a comment I made about that "sterile brown stuff you call garden dirt".

You should really make a trip in that macadam burner to the Red River Valley. No, not that one, the one in FAR north Texas, on the Nort Dekoder/Minnesoda stae line.

Then you'd understand. I live on some of the most fertile dirt in the world, was a lake bottom 10,000 years ago. Imagine the fish shit infused in this evil black stuff.

Come up with a trailer and, after we spend a week walleye fishing, we'll send you home with a couple yards of REAL growing medium.... :cheers:

OCD Chilehead said:
Pics look great Scott. I'm still trying to figure out this hand me down D5100.

I like the pube pics. Those plants are coming along nicely.

Sorry for the pic. It was funny at the time. Don't want to get you in any trouble.

Thanks Chuck!

No problem with the pic, I may just scroll up and take a peek again :shh:

Edit: dang it's gone! That was the highlight of my day yesterday ;)

stettoman said:
Scott, you mentioned not understanding a comment I made about that "sterile brown stuff you call garden dirt".

You should really make a trip in that macadam burner to the Red River Valley. No, not that one, the one in FAR north Texas, on the Nort Dekoder/Minnesoda stae line.

Then you'd understand. I live on some of the most fertile dirt in the world, was a lake bottom 10,000 years ago. Imagine the fish shit infused in this evil black stuff.

Come up with a trailer and, after we spend a week walleye fishing, we'll send you home with a couple yards of REAL growing medium.... :cheers:

Now that would be cool! I'm in the process of trading in that jewel, deal should be done by tomorrow. Yeah, I've been building this sand into "soil" for many years. It's pretty good, but can't compare to an old lake bottom. I've seen the produce you've grown already. Simply amazing. I appreciate the offer, and when I retire in 2.5 years, I may just take you up on that. I can't wait until I'm free ;)

Back