• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2018-Loving life in the dirt

Here we go again! ;)

This year will be a mix of in the dirt and container growing. Mostly in the dirt. I have some OW's going, 5 are cut back, 6 are pubes that still spend time outdoors as the weather allows. I have pH issues in the dirt, working on that, and hoping for some better results this season. One thing the wife and I decided is to NOT grow into the fall again. I was pulling plants the same weekend I started my seeds. I'm using 4 2 bulb T8's with 6,500K bulbs, and 1 4 bulb T5 with I believe 6,500K bulbs.

So here's the list:

Planted 12-3-17

~Aji Amarillo
~Aji Dulce
~Scotchbrain
~Scotchbrain-Morugawelder
~P. Dreadie's-Windchicken
~BOC-Windchicken
 JA Habs
~Aji Oro
~pdn-bonda w PaulG
~pdn-bonda p PaulG
~pumpkin bb6-Morugawelder
~pumpkin bubblegum Bhuter
~orangegum tigermamp Bhuter
~7-pot cinder Bhuter
~pimente-neyde Bhuter
~Big Black mama-OCD Chilihead
~Brainstrain-Reaper OCD Chilihead

Planted 12-30-2017

~Jalapeno-Zapotec, Orange, Farmers.
~Poblano
~Bell-Yellow, Red.
~padrons
Hot Hatch
~Ancho
~Antep Aci Dolma
~Big Jim
~Anaheim
~Large Orange Thai
~Gochu-Stickman
~Aji Limo Rojo
Jimmy Nardello

Planted 1-1-2018

~Yellow Brainstrain- Pepperguru

The ~ indicates we have lift off.

I planted extra early to beat the heat, hoping for pods before the temps go crazy. I may have to buy more lights...LOL

Pics sometime tomorrow ;)

Essegi said:
Hey Scott, good luck! It looks like a strong start!

Thanks Giancarlo!

I'm so much wanting a bumper spring crop this season. Looks like I can set the older plants out for a few days tomorrow before it cools down again Sunday night. ;)

Devv said:

Ordered one of those today; thanks for the tip! I came out with 6.4 in 5 gallons with a tablespoon of the acid, made the final test with the Hanna I use for sauces. Once I get the new one I'm going to get the Ph down just a few more tenths. The next thing I need to do is figure out what I want to do to premix a larger volume and do this in the garden, so I don't have to haul it. One step at a time.

Hey Scott... think this might fit the bill?

https://www.ntotank.com/275gallon-nto-white-reconditioned-ibc-tote-tank-x7738445?gclid=Cj0KCQiAzMDTBRDDARIsABX4AWzfD1DAlmxxY-dUrKozm0li-1Yj9Wxc7fWUkyq3WRmi4eUNGQKPRI8aAjGjEALw_wcB

stickman said:

Rick that thang there would be sweet! ;)  I'm going to do some research to see what's around here first, shipping is my  biggest worry here.

I've been running all week around here everyday after work re-potting plants. I'll finish the peppers tomorrow. And had to order yet more pots for the maters. So many seeds popped this year that it's just crazy!

The bulk of the Chinense are outside until Sunday afternoon. We should hover around 50° for lows until Monday morning.

46.jpg

They got a nice drink and some food ;)

47.jpg

One of the Growdown plants, it's 30 days behind the rest.

48.jpg

49.jpg

P. Dreadie, it has that MOA look to it.

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

Another 7pot Cinder. I'm pretty impressed with their growth habit.

Hopefully these gals won't get too uglified where they sit. They should get diffused sun with the Live Oak just south of them. The trailer should help with any harsh winds. Time will tell ;)

stickman said:
Looking really good Scott! How many weeks out are these seedlings?

I put them in the dirt Dec 3rd, most took 2-3 weeks to hook. The Growdown plant was sown January 1st; it wants to catch up ;)

I'm shooting for 14"s or taller come April 1st, and have #2 pots for an upgrade. Spring harvest or bust! No more 12 months a year. They should be able to spend quite a bit of time outside from here on out. When it gets cold in they come ;) I'm sure I'll be snipping lots of early flowers this season....

U)<now said:
Looking awesome! How long after germination do you start feeding them?

The first time I water them. But that's already into the second set of true leaves. I fill 3.5" pots 2/3 full with potting soil and then add the rest (about 3/4-1") on top with a coir perlite mix. And then soak them in a tray until the water comes to the top, add  seeds. When they came up and  the pots get light I bottom watered with a mix of 1.5 teaspoons of Alaska fish ferts to 2.5 gallons of water in a tray. I added about 3/4" of the water/fert mix and watched to make sure it didn't wick up and get the top soil wet. When I put them in the larger pots I soaked those pots in the same solution, transplanted and off they went.

So far no losses ;)  I'm pushing them a lot harder than I have in years past, hopefully I'm not over doing it! :shh:

Devv said:

The first time I water them. But that's already into the second set of true leaves. I fill 3.5" pots 2/3 full with potting soil and then add the rest (about 3/4-1") on top with a coir perlite mix. And then soak them in a tray until the water comes to the top, add  seeds. When they came up and  the pots get light I bottom watered with a mix of 1.5 teaspoons of Alaska fish ferts to 2.5 gallons of water in a tray. I added about 3/4" of the water/fert mix and watched to make sure it didn't wick up and get the top soil wet. When I put them in the larger pots I soaked those pots in the same solution, transplanted and off they went.

So far no losses ;)  I'm pushing them a lot harder than I have in years past, hopefully I'm not over doing it! :shh:
Nice! I'll probably start feeding mine as soon as I pot them into the #1 pots or shortly after. Last year I ran into lack of nute issues right about the time the second set of leaves started to develop.

U)<now said:
Nice! I'll probably start feeding mine as soon as I pot them into the #1 pots or shortly after. Last year I ran into lack of nute issues right about the time the second set of leaves started to develop.

Should do just fine. That mix I mentioned was around a 25% mix designed for the youngin's.

With my waters Ph so high; I been reading, which could be dangerous ;)

http://diy-alternative-energy.com/build-a-solar-water-distiller/

Just thinking here...

What I really want is a "real" rainwater collection system via gutters and a storage tank. It's all about the money

Devv said:

Should do just fine. That mix I mentioned was around a 25% mix designed for the youngin's.

With my waters Ph so high; I been reading, which could be dangerous ;)

http://diy-alternative-energy.com/build-a-solar-water-distiller/

Just thinking here...

What I really want is a "real" rainwater collection system via gutters and a storage tank. It's all about the money
Yeah, I hear ya there. I'd really like an ICB tank for rainwater storage. You can pick them up used for around $150 or sometimes even less. Just need to make sure you don't get one that was used for any harmful stuff.

Thanks Troy!

I need to shop a bit on this one. I have the trailer to haul one if I can find one fairly close. And I have a tractor with a front loader to place it. Tax returns are due soon ;)

Plants looking good, Scott.  

I am noticing a lot of PdN x *** crosses floating around of late.  They do produce some cool looking plants!  Wonder how all the pods from these PdN crosses will pan out.

I used to start my seeds in december or november when i had more indoor space at the old house.  Plants look good.  Always nice to have a head start.  

Back