• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

HillBilly Jeff said:
Mighty impressive looking!!!  
Thanks Jeff!

WalkGood said:
Awesome job Scott, love the pictures they’re excellent and the young girls look great \o/ I’m following (clicked) since I won’t be doing a 2014 glog and mine will soon come to an end :/
Thanks Ramon!

I'm really going to miss you not having a glog this season, can we vote on that?

maximumcapsicum said:
Amazing setup Devv. I think I'm gonna go with the solo cups too when the time comes. Plenty of room for roots, and with enough holes, good ventilation. Any precautions you take to ensure good drainage?
Thanks Maxium!

I'm using just regular MG from the green bag, it drains really well. I use a razor blade to cut small notches for drainage. I actually had three or four show signs of wilting. I water every two days currently. I guess the heat from the lamps and the fan blowing on them keep them from staying too wet. Next stop is the 6" pots and then the 1 gals.

stickman said:
Terrific start Scott! Here's hoping you get them in the ground in plenty of time for an early harvest. Keep up the good work buddy!
Thanks Rick!

Right now I'm wondering how I can slow them down a little. I'm already fighting for space. Seasonal weather would allow some outside, but we're not having that. I noticed under the T5 the spacing between leaf pairs is very tight, I'd say normal under the T8. So I moved the largest ones which were getting close to the bulbs on top of the station, for now they will get sunlight from the window. If they get leggy, I'll pinch them and try and clone the cut pieces. I'd love to go out and buy more lights but dang I spent too much in the last year already.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great week!

chilli whisperer said:
Nice plants you got Devv! Awesome start ! :)
Thanks!

Can't wait to get them in the ground!

Sawyer said:
Wow, great looking plants, Scott.  And a heck of a grow list.  I'm still working on mine, but need to at least start the pubescens, pronto.
Thanks John!

Now I know what everyone's talking about regarding planting too many. The grow bench is full. Tomorrow and then for a few days I should be able to put them outside, don't think anything will sunburn in the winter sun.

I'm still playing with getting pics I'm happy with. I took some outside shots today with the old Cannon SLR, D60 I believe. It's 10 year old now but still a good cam. Through together a white box Sunday to try and keep the background consistent.

So here we go...and hopefully no dupes from earlier post (maybe though) :D

Barrackpore

37.jpg

Douglah
38.jpg

Jay's Red Ghost Scorp
39.jpg

MoA- I have 5 or 6 of these.
40.jpg

Sepia Serpent
41.jpg

TSMB Yellow, several of these as well.
42.jpg

Another Sepia Serpent
43.jpg

Jigsaw

45.jpg

Red Bhut
46.jpg

MoA
47.jpg

Bump please:)

Edit:corrected some brain dead mistakes:)

capsidadburn said:
Great looking texture Scott!  Lack of puckering I mean.  I never get that right.
Thanks Mike!

Do you mean on the leaves?

I have some of that going on with the T5 plants, I moved them to the sun until they straighten out. I'm hoping this early start will prove worth the trouble...

Jeff H said:
Wonderful start to your glog Scott. The plants look great and the grow list is pretty impressive. There should be peppers in Texas in no time.
Thanks Jeff!

Last year I had to wait until Nov. to get supers to pod, hoping this does the trick.

A few more...

A mystery, do to my error, I had this marked as 10-3, spreadsheet shows helmet head and died, I guess we'll see later:) Whatever the case it's happy!
48.jpg

Fatalii
49.jpg

JA Hab
50.jpg

TS Moruga X Bhut
51.jpg

Bhut x Y7 F2
52.jpg

Brainstrain
54.jpg

That's all folks!

Thanks for viewing and commenting!

capsidadburn said:
Yes the leaves.  Sections bordered by veins can pucker which is real common.  I think the flater the leaf the happier/ better the conditions, ferts, etc.  I could be wrong.
Mike,

So far no ferts, I think the T5's do it, like this gal:
4.JPG

That dark color and the leaf shape in my opinion is from the lights, it's now in the window and tomorrow hits the table outside.

Jamison said:
Beautiful seedlings Scott! They look happy!
Thanks Jamison,

I'm keeping a close eye on them, first try doing this this early with the lights. Last year was a window sill project ;)

Thats definately a nice dark color.  My cfl's and T8's never give me that.  I saw one of those 4 bulb T5 fixture's at the H depot for $89 without bulbs.  Are those bulbs really skinny?  First time I've looked at them.  I saw somebody (Paul I think posted a $50 link).  I might be interested in one for my back porch when I move some plants.

Mike

Extremely good looking seedlings Scott! From the looks of things, you'll hit the ground running when you plant outside. Interesting that you figure the light intensity from the t5 fixtures is the cause of the twisting and puckering on the plant pictured in post #30. Have you been scanning for mites too?

capsidadburn said:
Thats definately a nice dark color.  My cfl's and T8's never give me that.  I saw one of those 4 bulb T5 fixture's at the H depot for $89 without bulbs.  Are those bulbs really skinny?  First time I've looked at them.  I saw somebody (Paul I think posted a $50 link).  I might be interested in one for my back porch when I move some plants.

Mike
Mike,

The T5's cost me $124.00 from Amazon with bulbs 6400k 4 bulb unit, really thin bulbs. I bought a commercial unit.

stickman said:
Extremely good looking seedlings Scott! From the looks of things, you'll hit the ground running when you plant outside. Interesting that you figure the light intensity from the t5 fixtures is the cause of the twisting and puckering on the plant pictured in post #30. Have you been scanning for mites too?
Thanks Rick!

My experience with mites is leaves turned down, curling and brown on new growth. I haven't looked for mites on those plants, but look at these, they were just 2"s from the bulbs note the dark color and the close leaf growth (horizontally)
7.JPG

11.JPG

Extremely dark, tight growth!

Devv said:

A mystery, do to my error, I had this marked as 10-3, spreadsheet shows helmet head and died, I guess we'll see later:) Whatever the case it's happy!
48.jpg

Ha, this always happens to me too.  Today I tried to untangle a few... I had a Choco Bhut labeled as a Yellow Bhut and a Fatalii labeled as a Peach Bhut... but I'm sure something still wasn't quite right, lol...

Everything looks great.

Devv said:
[Bhut x Y7] x [Choco Bhut x Douglah] - Spicegeist

5.JPG

:dance:

stickman said:
Rick,

I have to thank you for your suggestion!

You made me check this morning, a few plants have some eggs on them, on the underside of the leaves. Brought a leaf to work and showed it to several science teachers on two campuses, no one knew what they were, under a microscope you can see they're eggs. One teacher who's retired and happens to own a ranch around the corner is an Entomoligist, has a doctorate in the field. His wife still works with us, and I gave her the leaf. Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow what they are. Can't be good. Everything outside, watered and I sprayed sulfur spray on the affected plants. I forgot about one I treated last week, it's clean. Never saw any bugs, just the eggs...I have a couple of hunches, whiteflies or spider mites, hope I'm wrong. No plant damage, or adults seen..

Pinoy83 said:
and here comes the beginning of the new season...verrryy lushes greennnnss on your babies.... :fireball: :fireball: :fireball:
Thanks Gericson!

I'm happy with their growth so far, that Annuums are germing like I want them too though.

Spicegeist said:

Ha, this always happens to me too.  Today I tried to untangle a few... I had a Choco Bhut labeled as a Yellow Bhut and a Fatalii labeled as a Peach Bhut... but I'm sure something still wasn't quite right, lol...

Everything looks great.

:dance:
Thanks Charles!

It's kind of maddening I have a spreadsheet mapping the seeds and I still screw it up...

PaulG said:
The little seedlings are looking good, Scott!  Hope your spring
comes early and your Summer lasts long!
Thanks for the good vibes Paul!

We all need them ;)

Sawyer said:
They grow up so fast...
They are this year, I'm amazed at how much the lights help.

Jeff H said:
Do, when is plant out day in Devine, TX? Early March I would imagine.
Jeff,

I plant everything March 1st but the peppers, they go in March 15th if the 10 day forecast looks good. Even then we risk frost some years. But they have to hit the dirt as soon as I can get them out there so the do something before the 100° weather hits.

Devv said:
Rick,

I have to thank you for your suggestion!

You made me check this morning, a few plants have some eggs on them, on the underside of the leaves. Brought a leaf to work and showed it to several science teachers on two campuses, no one knew what they were, under a microscope you can see they're eggs. One teacher who's retired and happens to own a ranch around the corner is an Entomoligist, has a doctorate in the field. His wife still works with us, and I gave her the leaf. Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow what they are. Can't be good. Everything outside, watered and I sprayed sulfur spray on the affected plants. I forgot about one I treated last week, it's clean. Never saw any bugs, just the eggs...I have a couple of hunches, whiteflies or spider mites, hope I'm wrong. No plant damage, or adults seen..

If it was timely, I'm glad I put a bug in your ear...  it's less of an issue here for obvious reasons, but I gather much more so down your way. Are you thinking about companion plantings to attract friendlies when you plant out?

I plant everything March 1st but the peppers, they go in March 15th if the 10 day forecast looks good. Even then we risk frost some years. But they have to hit the dirt as soon as I can get them out there so the do something before the 100° weather hits.

If you use the black plastic mulch and a low row cover over it, I don't see why you couldn't plant the chiles out on March 1st too.  Once things warm up enough, you could lose the low row cover, and when it really begins to heat up in June you could cover the black plastic with a more reflective mulch like shredded white paper to cool the soil down. When the weather cool down again later on, you could remove the shredded paper to expose the black plastic again and extend the season by warming the soil with sunlight until it frosts. Just some things to think about... ;)

Back