• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2014- Stick a fork in me, I'm done....

Time for the 2014 start...

Many of these plants were made possible by the generous people of the THP sending me seeds and pods Thanks!

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and dirt day!

I have a bunch of seeds started, and plants at all the stages.

Here's the grow bench, a T8 x4 on top and T5 x4 on the bottom, as you can see it's loaded.

0.JPG

Top rack:
1.JPG

Bottom rack:
2.JPG

I like starting the seeds in Jiffy Pellets, as soon as they stand up I trim the mesh off and plant them 1/2" proud in a pot, or in this case a cup.

Red Rocotto the lonely Pube..
12.JPG

A few plants living under the T5, I'm super impressed with this light!

Choc Hab

4.JPG

Bhut x Y7 x Choc Bhut Douglah-Spicegeist

5.JPG

Bhut x Y7 F2-Spicegeist
6.JPG

Yellow Cardi- Jamie
7.JPG

Choc Scorp-Ramon
8.JPG

Peach Bhut- Annie
9.JPG

Going to do some tilling will post more later

maximumcapsicum said:

Out of curiosity, what do you look for to fertilize? Stopped or slowed growth? Changes in leave?
As you mentioned, retarded growth, pale leaves if all else is well. I like to apply the ferts 1/2 strength and hit them more often. Today is the first time I treated the plants, I used seaweed extract as a foliar spray mixed 1oz to a gallon. Seaweed extract is not a fertilizer, it's more of a trace element.

The plants all look healthy at the moment so I haven't hit them yet with ferts. My favorite is Hasta Gro 6-12-6 a natural liquid fertilizer. Once the plants are a foot tall and depending on how they look I start the 1/2 dose treatment. I especially hit them once they start to flower. I also occasionally use fish emulsion.

wahlee76 said:
Only a week old, but already an awesome glog. Keep up the good work. Looking great :P
Thanks Wally!

Hoping things stay green!

They  grew well this week!

Bhut Y7 Choco Bhut Douglah, now that's a mouth full! Note the buds...
58.jpg

Choco Bhut Douglah, these have been out in the wind all day, and they show it:)
59.jpg

Choc Hab
62.jpg

Yellow Cardi
63.jpg

Jigsaw
65.jpg

Another Jigsaw, the T5 was turning the leaves a brown color, new growth in the sun is green
66.jpg

TS Moruga Bhut
67.jpg

Trin Choc Bonnet
68.jpg

MoA
69.jpg

Bonda
70.jpg

Bump Please...

MeatHead1313 said:
Great looking plants Devv! 
Thanks!

Hoping for the best this season!

Here we go again..

Barrackpore
81.jpg

MoA
82.jpg

Devils tongue
83.jpg

TSMB Yellow
84.jpg

Jay's Red Ghost Scorp
85.jpg

JA Hab
86.jpg

Choc Bhut Douglah
87.jpg

ivplay said:
Looks great!  All of your plants are looking strong.
Thanks!

Red Bhut
88.jpg

Pair of Sepia Serpents
89.jpg

Cumari Do Para
90.jpg

MeatHead1313 said:
Great looking plants Devv! 
Thanks!

One more bump and I'm done..phew!

GA Growhead said:
Thanks Jason!

Another JA Hab
91.jpg

Fatalii
92.jpg

Yellow Fatalii
93.jpg

White Hab
94.jpg

Peach Bhut, yes I know, I grew a Reaper in that pot last year :shh:
95.jpg

Trin Choc Bonnet
96.jpg

Choc Scorp
97.jpg

Running low on light :confused:

Bhut Y7 x choc Bhut
98.jpg

MoA, just how many of these do I have?
99.jpg

Last but not least...Giant Yellow 7
100.jpg

I have two more boxes but the sun was getting low...

Thanks for stopping by!

Enjoy the weekend!

Great pics to post ratio Devv. I'm really enjoying it. And your photos are very well composed; your plants have a lot of poise.

Is it a color trick, or does the choc bhut have a darker, more olive tint to the leaves than the other teammates? 

Everything is looking very sharp.

Devv said:
Thanks Rick,

So far so good, the Entomologist friend said the "eggs" are not eggs, no bugs. So maybe edema?

I hope everything stays on tack, I'm really hoping for the early pods this year.

Enjoy the holidays!

That's good news anyway, so Woot! to that... Are you still planning on laying down black plastic mulch and making  a low row cover over your babies Scott? If so, you can probably plant out a few weeks earlier than the beginning of March. That'll give you a real headstart. Being close to the Gulf, I seem to remember days at the end of February that were up in the 60s in New Orleans. Is it much cooler farther inland? Overnight lows in the 40s are the critical factor when using this method anyway... that and opening the ends of the row cover on sunny days to let out excess heat and buttoning it back up again about an hour before sundown.

Seedlings are kickin' ass and taking names brother! You're gonna have a banner season if the weather co-operates!

Pinoy83 said:
woooooooowwwwwwwwwww tonnnnnnnnnnssssssssssss of babiessssssssssssssssssssss..... :fireball: :fireball: :fireball: :fireball:
Thanks Gericson,

They're taking over!

maximumcapsicum said:
Great pics to post ratio Devv. I'm really enjoying it. And your photos are very well composed; your plants have a lot of poise.

Is it a color trick, or does the choc bhut have a darker, more olive tint to the leaves than the other teammates? 

Everything is looking very sharp.
Thanks Adam,

The plants are so varied in their color and look. Like the Jigsaw's, the one is lighter than the others, and the leaves got a rust color from the lights. Some got really dark under the lights. I think that's most of it. Once in the garden they should normalize. Last year I did see the purple stems all season in the Reapers.

GA Growhead said:
If my memory serves me, 6. :beer:
MOAs that is! :D
Too tried to back track and figure it out, but you made me question it. Yes... :crazy:
Haha,

I think that's it, I still had two more boxes to shoot, but the sun was going down. Gonna set a few MoA's off to the side to isolate from the main patch for seeds.

stickman said:

That's good news anyway, so Woot! to that... Are you still planning on laying down black plastic mulch and making  a low row cover over your babies Scott? If so, you can probably plant out a few weeks earlier than the beginning of March. That'll give you a real headstart. Being close to the Gulf, I seem to remember days at the end of February that were up in the 60s in New Orleans. Is it much cooler farther inland? Overnight lows in the 40s are the critical factor when using this method anyway... that and opening the ends of the row cover on sunny days to let out excess heat and buttoning it back up again about an hour before sundown.

Seedlings are kickin' ass and taking names brother! You're gonna have a banner season if the weather co-operates!
Thanks Rick!

Already thinking next year I can plant later, gonna ride this out and see where it takes me. The Chinense germed really well, the Annuum's are starting to worry me, at 14 days (I believe) most are not doing anything.

Pretty sure that was Edema, not an expert. Those spots are now turning brown and drying on a few. When I read up on the subject it was mentioned that close space growing under lights promotes it. As well as over watering; I've been real stingy with the water, even waiting until I see some droop. Friday morning I watered expecting a sunny day of mid to high 70's, it was gloomy all day, and they stayed wet. The Red Rocotto wants to damp off, I hope it makes it!

I never compared our weather to New Orleans, I'm sure the coast makes it more stable there. Here it would be in the 80's if the fronts stopped rolling in from the north.

I'm going to try the row covers and mulch on part of the garden, partly for cost, and if a goof it up I don't want all the plants to suffer. I feel it will be a good experiment. The weather here is so unstable temp wise from November to April. The temps can sore into the 90's and that would not be a good thing. Another concern is the wicked winds we get.

So what type of plastic do you use? As in thickness... And how are you tying things down?

Jeff H said:
WOW, just wow .

Look what happens when I am MIA for a couple days doing family stuff. I missed almost two pages of awesome looking plants. 

Great job so far. 
Thanks Jeff!

I see some great stuff happening on your glog!

GA Growhead said:
Go head and put a cap full of some hydrogen peroxide on the red Rocoto's stem at soil level. That will oxidize the bad germs.
I have saved every plant that way since doing so.
Thanks Jason,

Yesterday I mixed Hydrogen Peroxide and water, cleaned the soil to the bad spot and applied the mix. Should I have used full strength?

stc3248 said:
8 days old and already on page 4!!! Almost to page 5!!! Great looking start brother...will be watching for sure!
Thanks Shane!

I want peppers this spring! Not November ;)

Back