• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic DIY guide: how to make off grid hydroponic self watering container

ColdSmoke said:
Holy hell those plants are insane!! I wish I had more light!!

Holy hell those plants are insane!! I wish I had more light!!
Those plants are actually in the shade most of the day. There is a elm tree that shades them. I had them in full sun, but the sun and heat is so bad up here, they would start wilting. Only the Chinese would do this.

I used hydro net pots for baskets. The 5 gallon buckets, I get 12 for $10 with lids. I use the lids to hold the down tube. The totes are heavy duty containers you get from Lowes or Home Depot. If I remember right, I think they are 27gallons. I was thinking of adding a air stone to a couple of them. So far the sun hasn't destroyed them.

Google+ won't let me post my picture, but I have created the pepper machine in a black tote with a single Bonda Ma Jacques plant, I can't wait to see what it does!

This is almost exactly what mine looks like minus the corner squares cut out.

How long should it take for the wicking to reach the top level of the soil, I'm using promix and my plant that I put inside my growing machine this morning was looking droopy, it hadn't received the nutes yet?

It
svfd1118 said:
Google+ won't let me post my picture, but I have created the pepper machine in a black tote with a single Bonda Ma Jacques plant, I can't wait to see what it does!

How long should it take for the wicking to reach the top level of the soil, I'm using promix and my plant that I put inside my growing machine this morning was looking droopy, it hadn't received the nutes yet?
It shouldn't take to long. I came home Friday and filled the container for the first time. By the next morning it had wicked up. Today I seen a couple a little droopy. I stuck my fingers down in the soil and it was a little on the dry side. You have to think that the roots are pretty shallow. In time the will reach toward the bottom. When I transplant I water it from the top just like a normal container. I don't use the plastic on the top. I water top and bottom. I use the bottom for just water. The top, I wait until the reservoir runs dry and plant starts to droop. That's when I drench with nutes or compost tea. That's just the way I do it. I don't like to add tea to the reservoir. It gets nasty. Same with some nutes. The five gallon buckets are not bad to lift and washout, but the 27 gallons. Forget it. I've never used promix. Mine is a modified Al's 5-1-1mix. Also if the soil is moist, the issue could be transplant shock. If there in full sun that will make them droop sometime's. To eliminate sun. Check plants first thing in the morning before they get hit. Hope you find a method that works for you.

pepper_rancher said:
Awesome!
Make sure to mix in the proper order!
1. Masterblend
2. Calcium Nitrate
3. Magnesium Sulfate

I have my nutrients on the way. You mentioned that you use this solution for everything, so I assume as a drench in normal container plants would be ok? I'm just don't want the solution to be too hot, but I'll have leftover solution when I mix up the 5 gallon batches and I was thinking about hitting some house plants, roses and tomatoes with the leftovers. 

svfd1118 said:

What I usually do is the very first time watering after making the container I top water in just like I would any other container - then place the plastic cover and lid on that way the dry soil gets initiated and from then on the wicking will keep it where it needs to be as the roots will create the pressure to wick the moisture up as needed. Nice thing about this type of system is you can't really under or over water them as the soil takes care of itself as long as you keep some water in the reservoir. and the drain hole lets any excess spill out.

pepper_rancher said:
Sure, I can go into the details... What kind of information are you looking for?
I am new to growing as this is my 2nd year. I am looking at moving beyond my dozen or so containers into aquaponics. This unit looks nice, I was wondering if you made it and if so, what it took.

Thanks!

FredD

JDFan said:

What I usually do is the very first time watering after making the container I top water in just like I would any other container - then place the plastic cover and lid on that way the dry soil gets initiated and from then on the wicking will keep it where it needs to be as the roots will create the pressure to wick the moisture up as needed. Nice thing about this type of system is you can't really under or over water them as the soil takes care of itself as long as you keep some water in the reservoir. and the drain hole lets any excess spill out.
My plant is getting bigger quickly with this system, I used the costco black container, pvc snorkel, 5 upside down solo cups to hold the top with the holes drilled in it, and holes drilled in the cups , two wicking solo cups with holes drilled, a carefully measured side hole for overflow, and I'm using a rubber stopper in the side hole to keep unwanted bugs out, I just pull the stopper out when I'm filling the reservoir, let it overflow and then put the stopper back in the side hole.  All seems to be working well, I'm really looking forward to it's full potential.  It's been scorching hot in north Charlotte for the past month, temps are getting into the high 90's and low 100's this week, the plant seems to be doing fine.

I also went to the store and got the makings for a 5 gallon dwc build, it's got the air pump, clay stones, net pot, tubing, black bucket, and I've got it under my grow light, can't wait to see what that starts doing.  Apparently the "stick it in some junk dirt and put miracle grow on it" is over, I've seemed to come to the realization that growing that way was ok, but there's much better ways and I love exploring them.  I want monster plants, in fact I want a pepper tree that I can put a tire swing on.

RedFred said:
I am new to growing as this is my 2nd year. I am looking at moving beyond my dozen or so containers into aquaponics. This unit looks nice, I was wondering if you made it and if so, what it took.

Thanks!

FredD

Yeah, I made it.
Its just a small pump from ebay (~$5) and a tote with small net pots on top.  I put a layer of hydroton on top to make it look nicer.  Basically the water pumps up to the top lid, and then drains down where the net pots are, which keeps the roots moistened and also aerates the water when it falls back into the reservoir.
It is the same principal as an aerogarden... minus the light (it uses the sun).

RedFred said:
Sounds great, do you have any additional pictures?

Thanks...

FredD
I didnt document making it with any pics... but i guess I could deconstruct it and reassemble it with some photos/video this weekend...  I'll throw it up on my youtube channel

So I decided to go with this method to transplant to after my plants are hardened off. I built 11 of them from 5 gallon buckets and nutrients are on the way! I'll figure out how to get pictures up once I get ''em in there.

When you mix the nutrients do you use a digital scale?? I'd love if I could just use standard kitchen measuring tools......

El Angeleno said:
So I decided to go with this method to transplant to after my plants are hardened off. I built 11 of them from 5 gallon buckets and nutrients are on the way! I'll figure out how to get pictures up once I get ''em in there.

When you mix the nutrients do you use a digital scale?? I'd love if I could just use standard kitchen measuring tools......

Yes, use a digital scale...Here is a way to make it less work. 

OCD Chilehead said:
Looks good. I built those last year. They performed better then any other container I used. I experimented with a few different containers. I didn't use the plastic covers as well. When it rained for a week at a time, the rain water would just drain through the bucket and out the drain holes. My theory is more air to the roots. Plus I make compost tea and like to had it to the top. I use basic of the shelf nutes to add to the reservoir. The reservoir stayed clean all Summer long. Im using the same buckets this year as well as the same soil. Here's some pics from my Glog last year.
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
attachicon.gif
image.jpg

I wish I had more pics toward the end of the season. Some of them were huge. This year they should be better. Trial and error.

Good luck to you all.

Chuck
Nice job folks!  I've been trying these out as well with 5 gallon pickle buckets, and a couple 1 gallon for what the heck.  I will try and remember to take more progress pics like you all do.  I was initially just trying to save some water (here in dusty California), but with the other added benefits this is a really neat project.  And cheap and easy, just like me!    

http://i.imgur.com/uZTFoob.jpg   
http://i.imgur.com/5EJn2Pc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JFk6HXi.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Hk5ZGN8.jpg 

Cheers folks!

Also the small scales that measure down to 0.1 gram are only ~$5-$10 on ebay... they are surprisingly accurate but you better order two because one probably wont even turn on (lol... true story).
For the purposes of mixing these nutrients even "close" to plus/minus 0.1 gram is good enough.

The kitchen scales are usually only accurate to 1 gram, which will work too but I like seeing that extra digit :P

Back