• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Does anyone still use Tabasco sauce?

Tabasco is our go-to sauce when touring the USA. We enjoy our french fries with salt and vinegar but vinegar is something that doesn't exist on US restaurant tables, so we've discovered Tabasco is a great replacement - along with a bit of a zing as a bonus.

While I understand that they're an extremely successful company and I have great respect their fantastic marketing, I think it's a little sad that the bitter/vinegary standard Tobasco is what most people think of when you say "hot sauce".

It's not a bad sauce. There's just so much more to what a sauce can be from what I've tasted. As was mentioned, rather than change their cash cow they expanded their product line, and in my opinion they did so quite successfully. Both the chipotle & jalapeño are far superior to their original with more complex flavor profiles.

While i have a few restaurants carrying my sauce locally I had an interesting convo with a restaurant mgr recently. He loved my sauce but said he wouldn't put it on his tables. I asked why & his response was that if he put out anything better than original Tobasco, the customers would steal it.

But the chipotle on an omlette is pretty tasty. :cheers:

Tabasco is our go-to sauce when touring the USA.

Hiya Banjoe & :welcome:

What band are you in touring the US?

It was my gateway sauce too. I keep it on hand in several varieties, usually habanero and garlic. Ever since I got a gallon of it as a gift and used it up in a couple months ive been burned out on it no pun intended. Dont use it much anymore but it has its place.

While I understand that they're an extremely successful company and I have great respect their fantastic marketing, I think it's a little sad that the bitter/vinegary standard Tobasco is what most people think of when you say "hot sauce".

It's not a bad sauce. There's just so much more to what a sauce can be from what I've tasted. As was mentioned, rather than change their cash cow they expanded their product line, and in my opinion they did so quite successfully. Both the chipotle & jalapeño are far superior to their original with more complex flavor profiles.

While i have a few restaurants carrying my sauce locally I had an interesting convo with a restaurant mgr recently. He loved my sauce but said he wouldn't put it on his tables. I asked why & his response was that if he put out anything better than original Tobasco, the customers would steal it.

But the chipotle on an omlette is pretty tasty. :cheers:

Hiya Banjoe & :welcome:

What band are you in touring the US?

Too much words.

I replaced tabasco with texas pete as my tastebuds seem to think texas pete is a bit sweeter and goes well with almost anything. I do love tabasco garlic sauce though. It is sweeter than reg tabasco and has more flavor. Matter of fact I need to order some more of that stuff.

I dont use tobasco that often anymore, not since I found cholula. I really like cholula garlic, but sometimes its hard to find in the stores near me. They seem to stock it at random..

TXCG said:
When I was in school I delivered pizza for dominos, pizza hut & papa johns. Papa johns gives pickled pepperoncinis with the pizza in the box. They are f'ing fantastic. I used to put like 10 extra and eat them when I got to my car. I stole a 5 gallon jug of them once. It was awesome.

BHA!!!! Too funny TXCG!!!! I love those things too.

SmokenFire said:
The original isn't suitable for my tastes. I do like the green and chipotle though.

Ditto. For big market red pepper sauce, I use Louisiana and Crystal brands. They have a better flavor than Tabasco original. Most folks from here agree that Tabasco has a good heat level, but tastes like crap. Louisiana tastes good, but isn't hot enough. Crystal Extra Hot is the perfect middle ground.

I do like the habanero and green tabasco brand sauces, though. Green is great on pizza. But Iguana brand Mean Green is better.

seldom not very fond of it,i can always do and make better sauces

i actully find texas pete taste better to me than tabasco and then ther is Tapatio,El Yacoteco,Buffulo Chilpotle
but i have to say i really like the Tabasco green Jalapeno and there Chilpotle

thanks your friend Joe

I've got a big bottle of Tabasco that hardly ever gets used.  But I go through the Habanero bottles every couple of weeks.  I started out liking Frank's Red Hot, but when I taste it now it's like bleh.  Tabasco Chipotle is not too bad.

Back