• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Does anyone still use Tabasco sauce?

Sickmont said:
Gotta start 'em on the Defcon early, bro. I'd suggest immediately after birth is a good time to start.

Why wait till after? Invitro! Make it a regular part of happy crazy monkey sex saturday night! (wife glares at TB).....
oops..she's giving me that "it's your turn in the barrel this week" look. Gotta' split..

Cheers, TB.

Chiliac said:
I have seen some reports on Italian pizza and I especially remember one hot pizza that didn't even have cheese on it, so aas Armadillo said, the "true" Italian pizza is obviously quite different from what we get to eat in Europe or the U.S.
I made is as far as Milano and Venice, but never had pizza, only pasta and that was delicious.

The best pizza my wife and I ever had was in Las Vegas. It had no tomato sauce at all. It was just a crust with olive oil and mozzerella cheese with tomato slices. It was very simple but very, very good.

Speaking of Italy having different (or no) pizzas -- a few years ago my wife and I were in Acapulco, Mexico and I was dying for some heat (you guys likely know the craving) -- I couldn't find any peppers ANYWHERE! Sauces were mild and after begging a waitress at a Senior Frogs Restaurant I got a small bowl of Jalapenos. I still shake my head at this unexpected lack of heat in MEXICO (!) for God's Sake! Anyone have a similar experience?

Well, I wasn't in Mexico, but a popular Mexican restaurant here, and I asked for some salsa verde to go with my ceviche. They brought me something green, but I am sure it had no peppers in it. I asked if they had anything spicy at all and they gave me....TABASCO! Which brings us full circle back on topic.

By the way, years ago I dated an Italian girl who's grandmother was Sicilian and pizza was very simple and very good. Dough, sauce, sliced mozzarella and torn basil.

Well, I wasn't in Mexico, but a popular Mexican restaurant here, and I asked for some salsa verde to go with my ceviche. They brought me something green, but I am sure it had no peppers in it. I asked if they had anything spicy at all and they gave me....TABASCO! Which brings us full circle back on topic.

By the way, years ago I dated an Italian girl who's grandmother was Sicilian and pizza was very simple and very good. Dough, sauce, sliced mozzarella and torn basil.

I think it has it's place, which for me is usually on red beans and rice, greens or on black-eyed peas. Maybe on some jambalaya ... usually something southern or cajun.

Beyond that, I prefer other hot sauces.

I have and use all of the tabascos and they have there place.

Even if you are not a fan of it you must admit that it is most likly the first one you have tried..
First one I tried.Damn near spit it out. Garbage. Then a Meszkin lady turned me on to her tomatillo picante salsa with fresh Serranos and Jals.That was about 45 years ago.
Never messed with the Tabasco garbage since. I don't even like fresh Tabasco peppers.If I had to eat that shit every day the number of headless bodies hanging from bridges would likely double. :tear:

I still use it, but only because the choice of hot sauce in Japan consists of Tabasco or blairs death sauce.. Occasionally you find others, but usually they are expensive and not worth it.

I use it as a starting place in my bloody mary's...then spice it up even more usually with DefCon Zero..
I don't make a bloody mary without it....
I also got my start with Tabasco Sauce. Tabasco with Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce make a perfect Bloody Mary. …

I take a completely different approach on my Bloody Mary’s, both for the visual impact and taste. The night before I’m having guests over to drink B. Mary’s, I chop up in half a few beautiful looking fresh peppers and carefully put them into the Vodka bottle (at least 2 red and 2 orange or more depending on heat level you need to achieve). Then I do the rest the similar to other recipes ...

IMHO Tabasco isn’t good enough for hot Bloody Mary’s. That said, I still keep a bottle of Tabasco in my fridge for the occasional use and for some friends to use, but I prefer to use my own homemade hot sauce over it. It’s also a good hot sauce to use for comparisons; when you’re sampling your homemade sauce to persons (friends or guests) who swear by Tabasco sauce, it allows them to make a nice comparison.

I've posted measurements here but I mainly do things by eye, taste and the size glass you are using. Here's my recipe:
  • 2 to 3 oz of your favorite Vodka (spiked w/hot peppers)
  • 4 to 5 oz tomato juice
  • 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
  • 0.5 oz (or more) lemon juice
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 pinch black pepper (fresh ground)
  • stalk celery
While this isn't a picture of Vodka, it's my rum, I think it gives you a good idea of the visual impact. BTW I rarely have any Vodka left over from parties, guests seem to get fired up when they see it and drink it all, heh ...

I occasionally dabble in the Tobasco Chipotle - it's surprisingly one of my favorite commercially produced chipotle sauces (though IMO Howling Dog Hot Sauce's chipotle blows it away - recommended).

If I'm in a restaurant and Tobasco's all I can get, if it's the jalapeno or chipotle I don't mind.

I actually have a ton of respect for the company - excellent marketing, classic branding, and a very successful company. That said, their representatives at the food show were kinda stiff. 3-piece suits and firm handshake kinda guys - I was thinking "relax dude - you're not curing cancer - it's just hot sauce".
:dance:

Tobasco, old style is mothers milk to me! It was on everything, on every table, in every restaurant every where I went while I was growing up! (I'm a Cajun me!) Some things just don't taste right without it. It is used in a lot of my recipes as a seasoning, not to make it hotter, just for the taste that blends so well with our Cajun cuisine. As far as the new ones, the garlic is my favorite.

Honestly, just finised lunch. Had a slice of white pizza with Bacon and tomotoes. It was either Tabasco or Franks and the cafeteria. I chose Tabasco, I think the vinegar and red pepper is a much better compliment to pizza than the cayenne.

Funny i see this post today. ha.

I love Tabasco. It was my gateway drug to heat. When it wasn't enough I moved to the Tabasco habanero, and when that didn't sate the craving I moved on to the super hots. It's also readily available at most restaurants, and I'm not quite to the point where I'm bringing hot powders with me when I go out.

The chipotle and buffalo Tabasco are both in my fridge......with about 8-10 drops of Pure Evil in each bottle ;) . Not my go to sauces by any stretch of the imagination but they do get used.

They will never change the recipe of the original (Coke made sure of that), that's why they came out with other flavors. A lot of people think it's too thin and vinegary, so instead of changing the original they addressed these concerns with new flavors. The chipotle rocks. Give it a chance.

Back