• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dot Com's 2013 Glog

Just made it under the wire, 3 h 18 m to go to 2013 ;) New grow started using a light for the first time this year. Don't know how many will survive (fingers crossed) because my grow room is not a dedicated grow room & consequently the temp is not above 70. Click on pics for larger view. Not got this hosting site's procedures down yet :oops:

C-Not Madballs Rusty 7-Pot (this one might not make it) & Dorset (R )

viper (L) & Douglah ( R)

indian guhahati[sp.]

over-wintering dorset (L) & red bhut (R )(no green on that one yet):

whole crop (light raised to get pic)

had an unusual occurrence today.

As many here who read this know, I've been eating quite a few superhots & I have increased my tolerance. Well :rolleyes:  today, before I ate anything to coat my stomach, I decided to eat a quite small Guhahati that I've had out on the balcony. It was only around an inch long and slenderish like a Cayenne. I cut it open, looked inside. Only a couple of seeds and a sheen of capsacin oil. So, I started chewing on it and the initial flavor was very unique & pleasing. 2 mins later I was running for the refrigerator to break out some Greek yogurt pronto. Ate 3 spoonfuls and ran into the bathroom. Stayed there for around 15 mins doubled-over with capsacin cramps. :party:  Tried to force it up but there was no there there (the pepper was only 1" long) to force up. Went back to room to lie down & 10 seconds later, back to bathroom doubled over w/ capsacin cramps :hell:  for another 10 mins. That was the first "panic mode" pepper I've eaten since my first super hot that I tried. Now I know what Nigel & MGOLD86 felt like on a couple of their taste tests.

Anyway, I just got out of bed 15 minutes ago. I ate the pepper at 10:50 am this morning :P  Don't know if it was not coating the stomach or the pepper is simply hotter than hell. I may, MAY, try another one, UNDER PROPER conditions such as using an elixir beforehand like tmudder's which MGOLD86 mentioned on his Glog.

That was an experience I won't soon forget. I was seriously thinking it might burn a hole in me gullet but I'm not a doctor. Seems like all is well, 4+ hrs later.

Moral is- don't eat superhots, especially on an empty stomach, no matter how good I might think my tolerance is.

pic of its sister pod and the monster 4" pod which is still ripening :scared:  :

10005918506_aa94539d94.jpg
10005876305_4c0597056f.jpg

Good point David, I can't even take vitamins or medicine on an empty stomach without getting heartburn and heartburn is something I never get. That said, I can eat cooked peppers with eggs in the morning but I’d pass on raw too.

great pics!

Hab a great week ^_^

Yep, I think we`ve all done that once or twice. Every once in a while I get cocky and think, ah it`s only a X, 
I`ll be fine, and then end up with a worse reaction that expected. Not fun at all. And drinking milk just makes the cramps worse for me.

I think there are 2 panic modes. There`s the one when you eat something that is so much hotter than you thought and never seems to reach a peak, and the one where your stomach starts to cramp up when it hasn`t done that for a number of weeks and you think an alien is coming out of your stomach. That`s the worst one. 

If you are in full blown cramps, go and take a few tablespoons of cooking oil asap. 4 or 5 if your stomach was empty. I like the flavour of olive oil, so that`s what I use. If the cramps either don`t go away or come back, do it again. You will not believe how much this helps.

I have not tried Tmudder`s elixir, but I developed something similar independently of Todd.

1 scoop whey protein powder (28-30g protein). Any protein will do if you are dairy intolerant
8 oz water. Full fat milk or skimmed milk are fine, but I don`t find they make any difference to the results.
3 large tablespoons peanut butter. More if you are that way inclined (I don`t like peanut butter). I`ve also use almond butter and cashew butter with the same results. 
3 tablespoons olive oil (any cooking oil will do). I like the taste of olive oil a lot.
1 ripe banana
juice of one lime
3 or 4 ice-cubes

Throw in a blender and smash it all to bits. Drink 30 minutes before eating.
I have played around with the recipe quite a bit and this is about as good as I can get it. Occasionally, I will still get mild to moderate stomach cramps. If you then take 2 tablespoons of oil, it will quell the fire inside. If the cramps start to come back, repeat the 2 tablespoons of oil.
DO NOT DRINK ANYTHING THAT IS WATER-BASED, like soda or fruit juice. If I drink milk at this point, it also makes things worse for me.

Spicegeist said:
That pepper looks very nice.  Hope you're feeling better...
Thank you Charles. All seems well now. As to the peppers provenance, I'm wondering if its an iteration of this place which is the cradle of pepper civilization (as well as the Caribbean of course). Got the pepper, and resultant seeds, from a fellow THP member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guwahati

update on some late grows, mutant plants, and late bloomers:

From Yellow Brain seed. May be crossed. :

10060199243_801a03cbd6_z.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion putting-out more pods (new green ones) These are actually quite hot..... I mean REALLY hot ;) . Pruned back all of the plant but one stalk & was getting ready to cull it when these 5-10 new pods started sprouting:

10060336815_cdcdcf15d0_z.jpg

mutant Morouga putting-out dwarf pods. This plant was started in the off-season and suffered from all the assorted ills that indoor grows are want to suffer :( . Stopped growing for a while and leaves are pale-colored. I even changed the dirt but will have to wait & see.

10060192796_f98f83105e_z.jpg

'lest we forget, the high point of my day :dance:  - finding a care package in the post box from one of THP's favorite pepper farmers/taste testers- MGOLD86 :onfire: Thank you my friend.

10060869583_31e0ef127d_z.jpg

just cut up a slender yellow pod (Aji variety?) into some chix soup. It was pretty picante. Then decided, what the hey & cut up a slender red one (Thai variety?) & that one made me actually cough. I was thinking the yel;low one was going to be hotter but it seemed like the red one was. Very good in soup :)

Two of my brains started turning yellow. Thats a relief because they are supposed to be yellow. If you look at the large pod above, its turning brownish on the top at first I guess.

Just got finished with dinner, made some baby back ribs, mixed some Habanero sauce in with the BBQ sauce. Not knowing LB put Cayenne powder in the rub...I'm so proud of her. She ate them like a champ!

I didn't tell her until after she said they were good :dance:

looks like my yellow brain, the large pod, is turning yellow. :dance:  Be nice if it grew true. High winds & rain around here today. Fortunately, none of my plants stems got snapped as they are on a 4th floor balcony.

Ate the Assam that I got from Matt. Liked that one. Ate 1/2 then waited to see how stomach would react, then ate 2nd 1/2. Lots of placenta and a big airey chambered pod. Right around 3- 3 1/2 inches long. Was hot & had initial hiccups for a minute or so but not a "panic mode" pepper for me thankfully. Very hot but managable.

my last harvest from outside grow. Going down to around 33 F tonight. 3" Guhahati & Yellow Brains. Never had a Yellow Brain. Supposed to be hot.:

10464884265_c3c6205d25.jpg

Back