• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dot Com's 2013 Glog

Just made it under the wire, 3 h 18 m to go to 2013 ;) New grow started using a light for the first time this year. Don't know how many will survive (fingers crossed) because my grow room is not a dedicated grow room & consequently the temp is not above 70. Click on pics for larger view. Not got this hosting site's procedures down yet :oops:

C-Not Madballs Rusty 7-Pot (this one might not make it) & Dorset (R )

viper (L) & Douglah ( R)

indian guhahati[sp.]

over-wintering dorset (L) & red bhut (R )(no green on that one yet):

whole crop (light raised to get pic)

C-Not Madballs Rusty 7-Pot, Viper chili plant (2), Peach Trinidad Scorpion seedling (last one left standing (fingers crossed))
adoooQse.jpg

Dorset & Red Morouga seedlings on right (real excited about these)

abv6P23K.jpg

over-wintered Dorset doing well w/ my new artificial light (that I got at the beginning of my Glog). Got new dirt for her and potted-up last week as well. She's ready to go until Spring :P

abtAiTT0.jpg

aboQ6IcE.jpg

close up pic of all the soon-to-be flowers
abrsBRC4.jpg

thanks megamoo. I've had a slight set-back in that I've noticed some very tiny white critters milling around on the surface of the dirt on a couple of the plants. Drenched them in organic bonide solution then burned others w/ a lighter. I hate non-helpful bugs. The plants seem to be fine but these little critters were prolly not good bugs. You've had your own battles w/ a bug or two as well no?

update 3/2/13:

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]C-Not Madballs Rusty 7-Pot,[/background]

Red Morouga seedlings (2 in same pot)

Dorset (8" tall)

Douglah (17" tall and potted-up to 10" diameter pot):

adi2bENS.jpg

adlbiPdB.jpg

abpNVmVn.jpg

adh53WEK.jpg

douglah, viper, & dorset (I'm growing using a light for the first time and have it set to be on for 16 hrs. Is that too long to induce podding?):

abcUUr2K.jpg

acgzFE3r.jpg

adwUgFcK.jpg

had to move the plants around to lower the bulb of my grow light so I thought it'd be a good time to shoot indiv pics. Heres a couple: [background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]C-Not Madballs Rusty 7-Pot[/background] & overwintered Dorset that only gave me two (2) pods last season. Its got unopened flower buds all over it this time maybe because I pruned it down after last season. We'll see if I can get more:

advnpCDJ.jpg

abi7W8Tw.jpg

They're really starting to take-off now. The Douglah is full grown, just waiting to open flowers, the vipers are getting pretty darn big, most of the rest are all past the seedling stage & have developed bark on the stem near the root :P

I was thinking that my plants aren't getting any light from the side, so that the canopy of leaves is preventing the light from reaching the flower pods below the canopy. The above pic repost shows them w/ a much smaller canopy.

when you see some pollen you may want to transfer some
from the male parts to the female parts
kind of like manual sex
or you can find a dead bee and use that

i think the flowers will open with or without light
for what it is worth we see you getting flowers in march
and think that it is good growing ( nice early results)

update on my smaller plants. Peach Trinidad Scorpion seems to be coming right along :party: although it has 3 Guwahati seedlings growing along w/ it (2nd pic) Will have to separate those at some point. Leaves also seem to be of the pointier variety than the other two plants no?

1st pic is C-Not Madballs Rusty 7 Pot XL :hot:

Last pic is the former (?) world record heat index holder- the Red Morouga :drooling: Theres two in that pot, might have to cull the smaller one if it doesn't expire on its own or try to separate it into its own pot. Thing is, I already have around 10 dedicated pots and only have a small growing area including my small balcony when last frost passes.

accSJOeL.jpg

abvZsiDk.jpg

abmbRI2R.jpg

thanks megamoo. I've had a slight set-back in that I've noticed some very tiny white critters milling around on the surface of the dirt on a couple of the plants. Drenched them in organic bonide solution then burned others w/ a lighter. I hate non-helpful bugs. The plants seem to be fine but these little critters were prolly not good bugs. You've had your own battles w/ a bug or two as well no?
In the past when growing seedlings in soil mix I've had problems with fungus gnats. The larva look like tiny things crawling all around on surface of the dirt. They were hard to control and are a real PITA. I used sticky traps to catch the adults and hydrogen peroxide sprayed on the soil to kill the larva and their food - fungus. I ultimately solved the problem by growing seedlings in a soiless medium :P

Right now I've got problems with eggplant caterpillar moth. It lays its eggs into the unripe pods at night through a tiny, almost invisible puncture hole, then the larval maggot eats the inside of the pod. This causes the pod to prematurely ripen. The maggot eats its fill then bores a large exit hole and makes a cocoon to turn into the adult. That is what actually happens, but what you usually see is a half ripened pod with a massive hole in it, or you pick ripe pods and find maggots inside. To reduce their numbers you have to examine all the pods closely to see the tiny puncture wound when they are still green. I've been throwing out so many pods its horrible. The only good thing is they've finally drawn some spiders in and I have a few large webs over the plants. I've found if you are growing outside and not using chemicals then nature will present a natural remedy, although it can take a few weeks.

I prefer to grow outside as well and we have to take the chance of our plants getting attacked by critters or thunderstorms. Can't wait for the last frost so that I can put mine outdoors (at least half of them)

Had to do a little surgery today removing my Peach Trinidad Scorp to pot-up WITHOUT injuring the Guwahati seedlings in the same pot (2nd pic in post #33 above). Seemed to work out alright. Won't know until tomorrow.

Reminds me of when you instructed me how to remove seed caps. Glad I learned that sooner rather than later; saved me from having to sow seeds & start from scratch again.

second pic below are hooks I got from coheed's Jonah & Barrackpore :P

adqdkWEU.jpg

adyTSqz6.jpg

Free Image Hosting by imgbox.com

looks like coheed's seeds had a 100% germination rate in the Jonah & Barackpore categories. I planted 3 of each & all of them have now sprouted. Seems like it took forever (like it always does ;) ) but they all hooked & sprouted :dance:

love them jiffy pellets. :party: I initially began germinating using the zip lock bag method, when I first started growing peppers a couple years ago, but then removing them and planting them into the dirt was always tedious & dangerous to the seedlings.

update, my peach trin scorp, morouga red, [background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]C-Not Madballs Rusty 7 Pot XL[/background]'s, & peach trinidad scorps seem to be growing quite well in the last couple of weeks:

adicaVSS.jpg

actKcliq.jpg

adxPUhkl.jpg

abhaPFRU.jpg

Back