• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Essegi 2014: 1st grow! Winter is coming.

Ok, today i decided to plant seeds.
First of all i want to thank who helped me in a thread and Sarge in particular that helped me to decide what to do! :D And Lonewolf from pepperfriends forum that has helped me a lot!

My list, all from Semillas, begin of september 2013:

ir2YmjGmgP7ma.jpg

• Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Red
  • HP22B
  • Trinidad Douglah
  • Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
  • Fatalii
  • Fatalii White
  • Ferenc Tender
I've planted all but Ferenc Tender seeds, i'll plant them next month or in beginning of March. If i'll plant them.
11 per type.
I've treated seeds for 15 mins in a 3% bleach solution then i washed them very well in water before planting.
During that process i lost 1 seed of Trinidad Douglah and 3 of Chocoloate Bhut Jolokia (i suppose 2 of that lost seeds were too tiny anyway).

I've used plastic glasses with an hole:
ikbKlTjRsglnO.jpg

The soil, specific for seeds (here before planting):
iPgVihUluA5J0.jpg

• PH 6-7
  • C/N 25
  • 0,6 dS/m
  • organic ferthilizer
  • neutral peat 65% volume
  • organic carbon on dry content 35%
  • organic nitrogen on dry content 11%
  • fulvic and humc carbon on dry content 11%
hope the last 4 are translated accurately...

izNE2bzF7uUIp.jpg

So 62 plants in total. In a 60*100 cm table
  • I plan to grow them all by myself until i have to change the vase.
  • Then i keep 2 per type (12 in total) of them in a 2,4 L vase each (top external diameter 18 cm). It's ok for my table. The rest goes to friends and relatives.
  • Then 1 per type in a 15-20 L vase each and 1 per type in ground. Or all in vases, but probably half on ground. Of course the last vases will go outside, i have a nice spot of 15 m lenght along my house walls that is without wind and quite hot.
Room, that is heating room:
iba6wA08eSrdAi.jpg

That round thing in the left is warm... I've turned on radiator on right.

Here measured temps in center table:

iMr6TuzQdT2ux.jpg

Considering some parallax error is 27°C or little more (hoping that thing is accurate) which is 81°F
In the night will be lower but i think still above 20°C (68°F)
There's some natural light, hope that helps.
I have to do some funny things for the light, unfortunately at home have prohibited to use drying racks that would have been perfect.

I've a 60*3 watts LED light, nearly 10K lumens. I've found a good price and more than half was a birthday present from friends...

iuV6XP6OHYLEV.jpg

It's the round thing.
Well, no cats or dog allowed in growing room! Hope all goes well..

Somehting popped up in fataliis glasses and look like peppers:

ibmoHM4lyPQdO2.jpg

This along a sunflower.

iZiKlnTBjGQ20.jpg

This alone. It seems a pepper to me.

ibp4I0tGbt76nk.jpg

That one too... I'm not sure it's a pepper and this could die...
If they're fataliis,they had surpassed 70 days for hooks/sprouts from planting seeds...
But they indeed seems pepper since sunflower and other thing my dad planted is very different...

For Piri Piri: i gave away a try with 3 out of 4 germinated... Maybe fourth has popped up...
Now i have 3 tray (al with 4 seats), 1 with 3 sprouts, 1 with 2, and 1 with 1... I'll give away latter 2 to my friend that gave me seeds...

Random plant:
iNktUa4ihtwVI.jpg

They are growing nicely (not, and by far, as other growers here, but they're progressing).
Now i expose them to full sun as much as i can. Some leaves are a bit too tanned, but they are fine...
Some of the lower leaves are yellow, on one plants one has dropped, but upper are green.

I've bought 2 book od photography (Kelby  digital photography book 1 and Freeman photographer eye)...
And when the price is fine at last i'll buy the tripod (Manfrotto 190xprob... At least it's something good made in Italy... I was considering 055xprob but i don't plan to use heavy lens and a bit more portability and that is less expensive is good)., after much toughts with a ball head... I wanted a geared one but is too much expensive... Maybe one day i'll place it aside ball one wich has other uses... At the moment i'm discarding 3 way ones.... Hoping for macro lens for the end of the year! :D

Now the bad new...
Today it's a week that we haven't seen Serpico (youngest cat, 4 years old) anymore... I've a very bad feeling about that, normally my cats don't stay away more than 3 days...

Those plants will show some sunburn, if you put out a little at a time, which is hard if you work, that will help.

Mine are in the garden, dropping those big wide leaves and getting ready to grow again and put on the smaller summer leaves.

Things are looking good!

If the cat's an intact male, they wander. Good luck!

Devv said:
If the cat's an intact male, they wander. Good luck!
Thanks. Yeah, he's intact. I've heard they could stay away more than 1 week... But i remember my good old Tom, the only time he was away more than 3 days he never returned (afaik he could also have been kidnapped since he was truly great looking)...

I knew aphids were only a matter of time:

ilu5hVKzhJOyl.jpg

So i did a sane stfw and found that trick:

water with garlic + castilla soap + alcohol...

Sprayed that a bit, aphids seemed pissed, someone moved then i killed...
In theory that should be more sane than insecticide if infection is not grave....
Sprayed also at other peppers.
Did that tonight, i've read that it's better that this dries up before sun exposing (risk burning on leaves)...

In theory now i have 3 fataliis, i'll keep them all, hope 1 at least is good.
Another moruga popped up btw.

At the moment all is bad... For aphids! :D
Here the plant after 2 days:

iuic684vLfyYk.jpg

To tell the truth i hadn't spotted some critters you see here without photo... These things could just be dead remains because the situation is stable from yesterday morning...
So that trick worked.
Obviusly i'm keeping an eye closely.
Maybe tomorrow evening i should spray again just to be sure, since it's not a too harmful thing...

Sad note: tomorrow 2 weeks without Serpico... :tear:

Wonder how the aphids got in there. I had a small infestation too just recently. Hit 'em with some weak dish soap for two or three days and I haven't seen one since. Dang aphids... I think they like the transition period.

Not going to like the missing Serpico line. I hope he shows, hopefully he's got a good nose and is on a long distance rendezvous. After all boys will be boys...

Pr0digal_son said:
Belle piante fratello!

Don't spray too much. You can use your fingers and squish too,more gentle on plants. Soon they will be outside and will have predatory help.
Thanks!
I agree, i don't konw if it's a coincidence, but it seems that plants were more prone to burn... I've not sprayed again.

Devv said:
Not going to like the missing Serpico line. I hope he shows, hopefully he's got a good nose and is on a long distance rendezvous. After all boys will be boys...
He has some small problems (eyes bleed and sometimes nose has blood traces), the only solution is to wash him regularly (even a specialized eye veterinary could not find a true fix). Apart that he was good and lively. Quite smart too, i remember once he saw a strong light from a lamp, he examined the light, then went to mess up with Lupin that followed him, then Serpico flight in the room with his head low, Lupin was frozen staring at the light... Nice trap.
Sry for that ot, back to peppers and plants...

A fatalii was not a fatalii but a sunflower... In general they are quite different even from the start, not that time...

ihyvCQO0kdftn.jpg

Peppers and other. That window is one of the favored sleeping places of Lupin...

iPB3VQtZe1vA7.jpg

My overwintered 7pod is starting to live! I hope to have some pods soon! :D

i54fMNBEDbqCk.jpg

Some early figs!

i4FL6tIrOvkLS.jpg

Jujube

iwIfn1asv205B.jpg

Acer

iUTtpENtcWnbo.jpg

I don't know the name of that...

ibh0QQUdbqwQAz.jpg

Lemon flowers

iMaux9P17l4w8.jpg

An early lemon, That plant has some... Let's see if they grow (it's not an ideal place here).

Very nice pics!

I see spring has arrived. My Lime tree is loaded with new fruit, I say if it sets fruit it's happy.

You should be really close to plant out now.

Keep it green!

Thanks to all!

Some updates, from my dad garden in back of the house... Just one related to pepper, for others i hope new lens arrives next week and i'll take some pics.
They aren't growing fast, but are healthy, i still had some issues with aphids, i repelled them with insecticide in plum plants becuase  they had lots... There are some ladybugs too, i hope they'll eat well!
Add some damaged pepper leaves caused by grasshoppers (last year we were invaded by locusts).
And pepper plants were caught by an unexpected hailstorm, luckily with not much damage.
So next week i hope new pics, you'll not see best plants of thp, but overall they're still fine! :D
Not the tomatoes: yesterday was unnaturally hot and they was just planted... i suppose some are not recoverable,,,

So pics here:
First pepper related:
i5aDSARdYUVM7.jpg

Some tomatoes in near left, some peppers (i suppose cherry), some non hot peppers and in middle left 2 plants of ferenc tender and 2 of piri piri.

Some sage and rosemary plants:
i2v5tTOO2hor7.jpg

I suppose that is a small oak tree:
ibeRqF5RRX39nx.jpg

Random pics of garden:
ijCWwXqm5LZ3F.jpg

iNRdcXXgvRYxt.jpg

ibtIabZW5eWhBr.jpg

iAJhD5P7D4Nzq.jpg

Here the place in the edge;
iGQNIzm7yhpQh.jpg

I suppose you've seen Margot, here 2 closeups.
iXcpfhx6K9lkc.jpg

i8tjCMVACTSn9.jpg

Back