• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Fade's Grow Log 2010

Well its been a long time since I last posted on the forum due to being very busy.
I hope all is well with everyone, and that you had a very happy new year!
Here are some pics of what I'm currently growing.

IMG_1512.jpg

IMG_1513.jpg

My Yellow Scotch Bonnets that are planted in ground are loaded and continue to be heavy producers.

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

Some Chocolate Habs

Brent one piece of advise is you do not need your seed trays out in direct sun, and get a dome to keep the humidity up for the first week and then remove it after the first hook appears you will have better germination rates. Geminating seeds is just finding the right enviroment that will keep the soil warm without drying it out fast. Out in the sunshine sounds like a great idea living in the Bahamas but really they don't need any light until the emerge. The seeds are fine and the Pro-Mix is what I use to germinate in, you are just over thinking this. Your Fatalii looks like your healthiest plant.

Thank you for the advice Cappy.

I had the dome on at first as I did my first time using the jiffy but during the mid-day it felt like it was getting like an oven.
I then let the dome sit kinda open a little after that, then when the fatali came up I took the doom off so I wouldent cook any
of the seedlings as they came up. But at this point I guess I have over heated them or over saturated with water.

I dont have any heating mats or appropriate heating sources so I was trying to use the sun for heat rather than light.

BTW Gasificada, here is an interesting document I found reguarding pepper leaf curling.

http://203.64.245.61/fulltext_pdf/eam0160.pdf

Mine has to be spider mites...

I have found this sort of damage as well on 'infected' plants:
IMG_1275.jpg

And look very closely, you will see very thin webs all around the gnarled growth with the shithead mite things that look like white dots (extremely hard to see with naked eye, and extremely hard to get a pic of as well!):
IMG_1286.jpg

I also had what appeared to be Russet mites at one stage... just as hard to see but with no tell-tale webs! They also caused the same sort of damage.

Well I just woke up to another 58F degree morning here in the Bahamas today.
Despite our relatively cold winter my seeds have still been germinating (in pro-mix anyway).
I currently have 31 seedlings up so far, that were planted on 2/17/10. I thinkI will be digging
up the jiffy pellets today to see if I can find out what the hell went wrong with them.

Fade,
I have never used the jiffy pellets before but i have used the jiffy pots and everything grew like crap. Since then i have never touched it. Plastic all the way bro. Many on the forum will tell you the same thing. How are the plants? Are you still having problem with spider mites.
anyways have a great growing season. Keep us updated.

Well Ive had pretty good germination on most so far except Red, Yellow and Orange Habs, Fatali and Red Savina which is a bit strange.

IMG_1574.jpg

Here is one of my Bonda Ma Jaques seedlings with webbed leaves.

IMG_1575.jpg

Here are some of my bigger Bahamian scotch bonnet seedlings that are looking great.
Just gave them thier first foliar feeding today with epsom salts and ferts.

IMG_1577.jpg

My Red Morouga plant is also still growing nicely, avoiding mite attack so far.

IMG_1578.jpg

Today I went ahead and and started separating my seedlins and putting them in their own containers.
I now have about 100 seedlings of many different varieties of Chinense's
I'm really looking forward to the 7 pod's, Bonda Ma Jaques, and Bhut Jolokia.
Hopefully I will have better luck this time around.

IMG_1580.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

I clean out and recycle the colorant containers that we use to tint the paint that we sell.
After drilling some holes they become very nice planting pots.

Update 3/22/10

Here is a pic of my yellow scotch bonnets they are really chugging along and seem to love their 32oz containers.
Beside's a few leaves with a little sun burn they are hardening off very nicely, I hope they remain this healthy.

IMG_1604.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

Hope to have more photo's of other plants later after work.

Thanks Nate! Wish that was the case for all of my plants, especially the Savina, Yellow 7 pot and Scorpions.

Update continued:

Various super hot seedlings

IMG_1611.jpg

PRF 7 Pod Mix and Bonda Ma Jacques

IMG_1610.jpg

2 Morouga Red plants from left, on right Scorpion still having leaf curling

IMG_1612.jpg

One of my in ground local yellow scotch bonnet from 2009

IMG_1609.jpg

Yellow 7 Pod, still looking beat to hell from leaf curl / mite damage but showing some normal new growth.

IMG_1606.jpg

Red Savina with same issues as 7 Pod plant.

IMG_1605.jpg

Fatali, which i really hope can stay healthy and not strat going like those above

IMG_1607.jpg

In ground Chocolate Habs

IMG_1608.jpg

Fade have you tried growing a pepper in a bucket with store bought potting soil? That could help you isolate the problem. If the plants in the buckets don't have any leaf curl or other problems it could indicate you have something in your soil that is causing the trouble.

Your scotch bonnets look great.

I thought the Marouga was a strain of scorpions.

Patrick,

I have had the same problems with potted plants using pro-mix along with the one's in the ground
I'm pretty sure its a pest of some kind.

I got Marouga seeds from THSC, didnt realize they were a form of scorpion.

Back