• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

tutorial Fermenting Peppers 101

Alynne said:
Thanks for the likes, but I want to know what happens after the fermenting activity stops.

I don't know if fermentation ever truly stops completely, but a good portion of activity is finished within a 3-6 week time period.  I guess I'd say you're 'aging' the ferment at that point.  

SmokenFire said:

I don't know if fermentation ever truly stops completely, but a good portion of activity is finished within a 3-6 week time period.  I guess I'd say you're 'aging' the ferment at that point.  

Reminds me of good wine. Even though they have theoretically stopped fermentation prior to bottling it evolves many new flavors with age in the bottle.

Quick question on top of this string....if aging is good then how long?  I had a big batch of ferment that I've dipped into several times to make a different sauce profile...but I still have mash left and it's been "aging" in the fridge.  Now it's going on 9 months I believe.  Still smells like apples (orange habaneros) and looks good.

kjwalker said:
Quick question on top of this string....if aging is good then how long?  I had a big batch of ferment that I've dipped into several times to make a different sauce profile...but I still have mash left and it's been "aging" in the fridge.  Now it's going on 9 months I believe.  Still smells like apples (orange habaneros) and looks good.
Mine is over a year now and taste delicious!!!!!!! !!!

hogleg said:
WTF??? And now its like good sourdough starter TOO??? :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:
Bbbwwwaaaahhhhaaaahhhaaaaa that would be some serious sourdough!! Have to call it hot n sour bread! :)
kjwalker said:
What exactly happens to it over a long period?  More complex?  More mellow?  More HOT???
Flavor profile gets more complex tasting all the garlic and onion really allows those ingredients to shine. The heat seemed to be the same but that could be to my increased pepper consumption. Nothing taste hot anymore. Unless it's blazing!!
Definitely fun to try but takes patients I'm constantly wanting to process but I think this weekend will be it's last!! :)

oldsalty said:
Flavor profile gets more complex tasting all the garlic and onion really allows those ingredients to shine. The heat seemed to be the same but that could be to my increased pepper consumption. Nothing taste hot anymore. Unless it's blazing!!
Definitely fun to try but takes patients I'm constantly wanting to process but I think this weekend will be it's last!! :)

Agreed on the more complex.  They don't get any hotter imo - just more umami/complex. 

for those who mix the salt in with the veggies before the ferment: Do you then cover the mash with distilled water or something so it's submerged?

ColdSmoke said:
for those who mix the salt in with the veggies before the ferment: Do you then cover the mash with distilled water or something so it's submerged?

CS - here's a pic of a current ferment I have going.  You will note there is no brine on top of mine.  I usually will fold a cabbage leaf to put on top but did not do so this time.  Ferment pictured is about 4 weeks old and is looking fine.  Ferments I've had that went longer than that have darkened a bit on top (from light exposure) but have still been/tasted fine.

all_pepper_ferment.jpg

Topping with brine is certainly something you can do, but if your ferment is going well all the O2 in the vessel will be vacated shortly after you fill the jar.  

SmokenFire said:
CS - here's a pic of a current ferment I have going.  You will note there is no brine on top of mine.  I usually will fold a cabbage leaf to put on top but did not do so this time.  Ferment pictured is about 4 weeks old and is looking fine.  Ferments I've had that went longer than that have darkened a bit on top (from light exposure) but have still been/tasted fine.

all_pepper_ferment.jpg

Topping with brine is certainly something you can do, but if your ferment is going well all the O2 in the vessel will be vacated shortly after you fill the jar.
Lots of love going on there Dru!! Is that a straight pepper mash brother? :)

oldsalty said:
Lots of love going on there Dru!! Is that a straight pepper mash brother? :)

Yes sir!  1900 grams mixed ripe reds (combination of peppers from sic, jw, coach and 1010 matched with some sweets from my garden), roughly 50 grams salt.  She burped a lot the first 3 days.  Now only 1 or 2 larger 'glugs' every few days.  Very much looking forward to that particular batch.  It's sizzlin. ;)

SmokenFire said:
Yes sir!  1900 grams mixed ripe reds (combination of peppers from sic, jw, coach and 1010 matched with some sweets from my garden), roughly 50 grams salt.  She burped a lot the first 3 days.  Now only 1 or 2 larger 'glugs' every few days.  Very much looking forward to that particular batch.  It's sizzlin. ;)
Nice starting one tomorrow, was going to ask what your mash weighed. Hahaha so thanks for that as well! :)
How long you planning to let it run?

Guys,, i put my mash in jar , put a little bit of salt and in the end a oz of lime juice on 1/3 gallon mash and put a cheese cloth on jar :) it has been 20 days now, no mold or kham yeast , im very very happy :) I dont know if that is coincidence ??

I need an advice: i wanna put habaneros and peach in ext batch, do anybody has experience ??

matew90 said:
Guys,, i put my mash in jar , put a little bit of salt and in the end a oz of lime juice on 1/3 gallon mash and put a cheese cloth on jar :) it has been 20 days now, no mold or kham yeast , im very very happy :) I dont know if that is coincidence ??

I need an advice: i wanna put habaneros and peach in ext batch, do anybody has experience ??
I've made peach Hab sauce is this for a ferment or fresh?

Great information here.  I've started a couple of ferments over the the past few weeks and I THINK they are doing ok.  One is going absolutely bonkers while the other has not even raised the air lock bubbler.   From what I read on here that can be normal in either case?  They are both very close with ingredients.   Thanks

Back