• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First ever grow

guys is it time to water them yet? i haven't watered them once since putting them in the peat pellets and the soil is very dry to touch.

FullersFire said:
guys is it time to water them yet? i haven't watered them once since putting them in the peat pellets and the soil is very dry to touch.

i usually go by their weight, are you still using the humidity dome?  i like to use a turkey baster to gently add water,

FullersFire said:
peat pellets yeah, but going to transplant to solo cups pretty soon!

i like to wait until i start to see little white roots starting to show on the sides.

looks like you're off to a great start......... makes me think i should be germinating now too

twenty said:
i usually go by their weight, are you still using the humidity dome?  i like to use a turkey baster to gently add water,
no i have taken the dome off now because most seeds have germinated.

I do not use peat, opting instead for coir, but I never let my pellets get anywhere near dry.

I usually water daily, but only as much as the pellets will absorb in five minutes or so. It takes a little practice, and a lot of patience.

I have even had algae growing on some pellets, but never had any damping off.

However, I do keep the heat mat under them (set at  80°F) until they go into the 3 inch pots (when the plants have at least 3 sets of true leaves).

Once in 3 inch pots, I then do the 'weight test' to see what needs water.

Big Kahuna said:
Look like they are ready for a little drink.
when I pick up the peat pellets they were moist on the bottom still but dry on the top should I water them or let them get drier on the bottom

It's hard to say for sure. I know how quickly they would dry out with my setup, but I don't know how quickly they will dry out with yours. The idea is to not let them get completely dry, and to not keep them constantly wet either. After a while you will be able to tell by the weight if they need to be watered or not.

I've never had damping off with peat pellets either.  I have lost plants to dry pellets.  I usually watch the tops.  Once the top is dry, I provide just enough water from the bottom to just saturate the top.  

hey guys whats going on with this plant? is this what wilting looks like or is that something else? also should i transplant them into the solo cups now, the soil gets very dry and hard in the peat pellets quickly.. thanks

74DT7YJ.jpg

FullersFire said:
hey guys whats going on with this plant? is this what wilting looks like or is that something else? also should i transplant them into the solo cups now, the soil gets very dry and hard in the peat pellets quickly.. thanks

74DT7YJ.jpg

Looks like it may not make it...

You could transplant if you wish. I generally wait until I am certain the plant is healthy and not going to be sickly or die before I transplant; generally three sets of true leaves, with good color, size, and shape.

alkhall said:

Looks like it may not make it...

You could transplant if you wish. I generally wait until I am certain the plant is healthy and not going to be sickly or die before I transplant; generally three sets of true leaves, with good color, size, and shape.
so i shouldn't transplant them to solo cups yet? i was going to because the peat pellets dry out so often, i dont want to overwater the plants.. the peat pellets crack a lot when they are dry too.

Back