• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First ever grow

I'd transplant, the peat pellets drying out too fast is just going to end up killing more seedlings when you forget to helicopter them. 

FullersFire said:
so i shouldn't transplant them to solo cups yet? i was going to because the peat pellets dry out so often, i dont want to overwater the plants.. the peat pellets crack a lot when they are dry too.

As I said, I do not use peat. I use coir, which probably has superior moisture retention.

Whether to transplant or not is up to you, you could most certainly transplant now. My preference to make sure the seedlings are worth the time, effort, materials, etc. before I transplant, in other words, not going to die after I transplant.

You must be willing to cull out the weaklings that either will not survive, or will be stunted and not be good producers.

D3monic said:
I'd transplant, the peat pellets drying out too fast is just going to end up killing more seedlings when you forget to helicopter them. 
ok thanks demonic, when i transplant them should i remove the old peat dirt around them or just stick the whole peat pellet into the solo cup?
alkhall said:

As I said, I do not use peat. I use coir, which probably has superior moisture retention.

Whether to transplant or not is up to you, you could most certainly transplant now. My preference to make sure the seedlings are worth the time, effort, materials, etc. before I transplant, in other words, not going to die after I transplant.

You must be willing to cull out the weaklings that either will not survive, or will be stunted and not be good producers.
ok awesome i think i might transplant and hopefully i don't get a lot of dead ones and a waste of resources.

FullersFire said:
ok thanks demonic, when i transplant them should i remove the old peat dirt around them or just stick the whole peat pellet into the solo cup?

I'd just put the whole pellet in, maybe peel some the outside netting off if you can, if not no biggie though they can be a bit restrictive. 

D3monic said:

I'd just put the whole pellet in, maybe peel some the outside netting off if you can, if not no biggie though they can be a bit restrictive. 
ok thanks for the info! really appreciated.

something seems a little off....... did you not water them on Tuesday? and they are dried right out by Wednesday afternoon?

you either did not give them nearly enough water or you have a serious heat/humidity (lack of) issue in their environment, i'd guess the former. i get that you don't want to over water but you have to get the peat nice and wet and then let it dry out but not completely.

its up to you whether to transplant but i wouldn't yet, i like to see some true leaves and the start of tiny roots poking out the sides of the peat. when you do, don't disturb the new roots by trying to remove the peat or mesh, just give them a good soaking and right into their new pots.

looking good in the update pic, i almost got started yesterday but decided to make a small batch of ghost hot sauce instead  :fireball:

twenty said:
something seems a little off....... did you not water them on Tuesday? and they are dried right out by Wednesday afternoon?

you either did not give them nearly enough water or you have a serious heat/humidity (lack of) issue in their environment, i'd guess the former. i get that you don't want to over water but you have to get the peat nice and wet and then let it dry out but not completely.

its up to you whether to transplant but i wouldn't yet, i like to see some true leaves and the start of tiny roots poking out the sides of the peat. when you do, don't disturb the new roots by trying to remove the peat or mesh, just give them a good soaking and right into their new pots.

looking good in the update pic, i almost got started yesterday but decided to make a small batch of ghost hot sauce instead  :fireball:
humidity could be a problem, my thing always says the humidity is like around 23 percent and says that its low, i don't know how i could get the humidity up maybe by just soaking them.. and yeah ive been letting them dry out, they dry out really fast though so i just wasn't sure if i watered them everyday if thats going to over water them.

twenty said:

i think ive just have been to cautious about over watering them and i haven't actually been giving them enough water.. they were bone dry but i just soaked them in water so they should be good 

FullersFire said:
humidity could be a problem, my thing always says the humidity is like around 23 percent and says that its low, i don't know how i could get the humidity up maybe by just soaking them.. and yeah ive been letting them dry out, they dry out really fast though so i just wasn't sure if i watered them everyday if thats going to over water them.

23 is low for you, winter in Ontario, you would want 35%+/_ .  if you're in a house check the furnace for a humidifier, if an apartment you may want to buy a portable one, more for your comfort than anything.

FullersFire said:
i think ive just have been to cautious about over watering them and i haven't actually been giving them enough water.. they were bone dry but i just soaked them in water so they should be good .

i think that should work out good, at this stage they should never be bone dry

Update. transplanted the little guys

r59xITf.jpg

Finally found your glog!

Have patience with the seedlings - it's common for your first grow to have some casualties. Mine was 100% because I was still new at it. Just keep on trying and you'll get to where you need to be eventually. :)

Trident chilli said:
Seedlings enjoying being re potted ... Soil still looks dry though .... heat and humidity helps for germination and young seedlings
i bottom watered them and didn't add enough water for the water to reach the top of the soil but will do for next time

Back