• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Florida Wild = Calusa Indian Mound = Grove Pepper

Grove peppers are fairly hot. Not quite like a habanero but i would say a bit hotter thana tabasco. I made some pepper vinegar with them last year and it was pretty good

Travis

Here is my picture of this very productive variety.
If you have plenty of space and no frost one plants can cover 50 sqft in two years

florida_wildbird.jpg

The seeds have a very long germination time as one would aspect for C. annuum v. glabriusculum

florida_wildbird.jpg

Beautiful flowers!

-------------------------------------------------------

Upon hybridisation with Tabasco I got this:

el_incendio.jpg

I called it El Incendio

Peter

Here is my Florida Wild growing up a bit, still has some fuzzy undersides to the leaves. Growth habit indeed looks like a C. annuum:
FloridaWild1.jpg

FloridaWild2.jpg

I tried to capture the purple streaks on the stem:
FloridaWild3.jpg

You can see the purple detail in my first post on this thread too.

My grove pepper is out of freaking control. More than a hundred peppers on it and only the end of May. This is one prolific variety.

I have several Tepin,Pequin,Chiltepin,Chiltepe and bird pepper seeds (for trade if anyone is interested in growing a few different kinds.)
Wild ones interest me.
There are several from Texas and Florida that might be considered landrace varieties.

Some of them are probably originally the same thing but developed characteristics because of where they were grown over time.

I have- several unknown Bird pepper types , Various Chacoense , various C.Parviflorum , various C.Praetermissum , Charapita , Chile Petine , various cumari , Guatamalian Chiltepe , Several Texas and Florida Wilds.
Some are red,some are yellow others go through color changes.

I really don't find them any harder to germinate.
I think a lot of people must plant the seeds too deep or something.
I do get better germination with a lower temp. on my heat.
Not 85-87 like chinense want.
More like 75-80 seems to work better for me.
I think 80+ is too hot for them in general.

Wilds can be a pain though,picking a zillion 1/8in. peppers at a time.
At least they dry fast.
Most if not all put out way too many peppers.
Some get to grow into VERY big plants,others into Hedges.
Cool either way as long as you don't mind picking tons of pods.
When they are very ripe you have to use 2 hands.1 to just touch the pod and another under it to catch it.
They will fall right off with a touch or in the wind.
I grow mine in pots on asphalt and if a pod lands in a crack it grows a plant.

As far as Florida wild Grove Pepper etc. goes.I've gotten several versions of plants from wild seeds.Some are Pequin type,others are more Tepin type pods.
All are interesting to me in general,lots of variations in the wild,depending on where the seed came from and how it adapted on it's journey to where you got the seed from.

I have a type that is round and orange comes from Nuevo Leon, MX. I have never been able to germinate it, I ended up getting a wild plant. It is covered with pods right now. Here is the plant.

2012-05-28163753.jpg

I have a type that is round and orange comes from Nuevo Leon, MX. I have never been able to germinate it, I ended up getting a wild plant. It is covered with pods right now. Here is the plant.

Huh, so you just took the plant home? It looks pubescent, but can't quite tell from the pic. How is the taste?

Back