• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Florida Wild = Calusa Indian Mound = Grove Pepper

Your MX. plant looks similar to a Guatamalan Chiltepe I just got seeds for.
I have 2 versions of the Guatamalan Chiltepe.One looks like a Tepin the other has larger pods with a round or rounder shape.

I haven't grown either out yet.
The green pods are mild-med hot but I was told that they get much hotter ripe.
I guess I should taste the red pods of both I have but Hot is rated by the taster.I like 7 pots best.... :)

E mail me whwn you have seeds or preferably a couple dry pods to trade.

I have had a few peppers ripen to orange and then drop off from being overripe. I thought they were suppose to turn red... hot as hades. Would make a great powder

cOol topic here. I'm down in Fla now, probably try and grab some before we head back to Atl on sat. I'll keep my eye out for some. love the wild landrace genetics, its pretty awesome stuff. Seeing all the little nuances between varieties. Ive got some chacoense germed right now so well see how they turn out. :)

cOol topic here. I'm down in Fla now, probably try and grab some before we head back to Atl on sat. I'll keep my eye out for some. love the wild landrace genetics, its pretty awesome stuff. Seeing all the little nuances between varieties. Ive got some chacoense germed right now so well see how they turn out. :)

If you find any, try to get a pic of it in its habitat... someone mentioned citrus growers spraying and other ways to keep "weeds" out of their orchards, I wonder where you'd find them growing nowadays...

BOut to head through 192 towards my home town of Palm Bay. There are endless wildlife preserves and old abandoned orchards out there. I'll hop out of the car and trek through some for a while. If all else fails....flea/farmers markets always have stuff you didn't think you'd find. Any Floridians in here reading?

aLso try and stop in some nurseries. There's always the chance the growers have some random pepper plants as decor/personal container plants. Grab a pod or two and a cutting if I'm super lucky/charming. :)

BiNgo! Found two :) Look closely on the pod and you can see Mr Aphid. He's no longer around...
7166393803_1f225ed596.jpg

7166398167_e049a35757.jpg

7166400753_2e4290064e.jpg

I live in Florida and am new to this forum. I've tried growing both peppers and tomatoes in Florida and it is impossible in the summer- my favorite time of year here. I wanted to try and make an all florida, all heirloom salsa blend with Everglade tomatoes and grove peppers. Anyone that has some seeds please shoot me a line. I have nothing to trade but would pay for shipping or even pay forward (good vibes) in about 50-60 days :)

Yep. I thought they were rather wide as well. Great looking plants though! Hey, you got a pic of your flowers? Or the fruit begining to form? I thought these looked a bit lime green compared to other pics I see. I assume the flowers have that sharp angle downward until polination and once the fruit starts forming the flower stem turns up right?

The flower buds on mine dropped off when I put it in the ground, looks like it decided to put its energy into growing larger. Sauga might have some pics...

The flower buds on mine dropped off when I put it in the ground, looks like it decided to put its energy into growing larger. Sauga might have some pics...

Spice see if you can get the seeds from those pods I sent you to germinate, you and Smokemaster got some, hopefully you guys can get a plant or two growing.

Spice see if you can get the seeds from those pods I sent you to germinate, you and Smokemaster got some, hopefully you guys can get a plant or two growing.

Hey Armac, I actually already got them to germinate, just am running into space issues now. When you mentioned how hard they were to germinate I tried a little trick and got them going fairly quickly...

Hey Armac, I actually already got them to germinate, just am running into space issues now. When you mentioned how hard they were to germinate I tried a little trick and got them going fairly quickly...

Damn, I have tried 10 times to germ those, mind sharing your secret?

Nuevo Leon pods and germinated seed:
NuevoLeon1.jpg

Damn, I have tried 10 times to germ those, mind sharing your secret?

Of course, here's a hint... if you look closely at the picture you can see what I did ;)

Back