• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Four-Pepper False Start Glog

While I'm (successfully) growing plenty of herbs at the moment, the important stuff is obviously the peppers... and, since I'm pretty sure I baked the first set of seeds I attempted to germinate due to underestimating the power of my seedling heat mat after moving it into the grow tent, we're calling that a swing and a miss and moving on with Batch #2.

Tomorrow night they'll get the coffee-filter-in-a-baggie treatment and a hopefully-more-comfortable place in a lovely fluffy towel on the mat.

I'd say you are off to a good start, 'Fish.
Thirteen plants will give you a boatload
of pods, even in 3-gallon bags!

PaulG said:
I'd say you are off to a good start, 'Fish.
Thirteen plants will give you a boatload
of pods, even in 3-gallon bags!
Thanks! The plan is to keep one of each in the tent (including the four varieties I've ordered that haven't arrived yet), another one of each outside if I can find the space, and give the rest away to interested friends.

I figure eight plants will be more than enough to keep me happy with powder and sauce experimentation, then plenty of bonchi options if the stems fill out well. Sixteen puts me firmly in "let's see if the little popup veggie markets around here will let me sell pods" territory.

IMG_20181122_094450.jpg

Yeah, this compulsion is definitely a sickness.

I now have... I'm not sure, either six or seven seed varieties that are extras... it's a freaking full season of really interesting peppers in addition to what I'm already growing (a lot of which I'm going to have to give away anyway; this is way too many plants).

For once I'm really happy with my problems.

The 7JPN and UFO seeds are already sprouting. I'm in serious trouble, and there's another big shipment coming in from a Black Friday deal that was too good to pass up...

IMG_20181126_210408.jpg

As for the kids that are already potted, the late-germinating alma paprika are easily outpacing everyone else. The chocolate habs are in second despite most of them having well over a week's head start.

Don't have pictures right now, but I moved almost all of my herbs outside, so the tent is nearly to the point of being a Peppers-Only Zone.

They're growing pretty well!

IMG_20181129_184822.jpg

Starting to prioritize the ones that are growing better. There are two choco habs and two lemon drops that are clear contenders for pot donorship, so they got shoved off to the left and a little out of the light. It's on them; if they can find a Rocky-style montage, I suppose they can still be contenders.

IMG_20181129_184851.jpg

With all three 7JPN's, a white devil's tongue, and a purple UFO starting to get restless, I'm gonna need that premium light real estate soon.

IMG_20181129_184923.jpg

Looking a little empty in there. With a couple brief vacations coming up in late December, I'm wondering whether to get some of the stronger seedlings into their final 3 gallon grow bags before I leave. That'll start some serious reorganization. Again.

karoo said:
Looking great .
Nice setup.
Thanks! Getting a little more confident with most of them growing the way they are. Really hoping to have some good harvests early in the year; it's rare to have decent peppers at all here, so I think a lot of my friends and co-workers will enjoy the yield.

My four-pepper grow is now an eight-pepper grow. :)

IMG_20181203_194857.jpg

I sacrificed a couple of runts for a bit of extra planter space and now I'm at 17 pepper plants with the new arrivals:

3 7JPN
1 white devil's tongue
1 ghost
1 purple UFO

There's another ghost that's pretty much ready to go in the dirt, so that'll have to get done this week; really hoping the other two that have only popped one manage another germination.

I also swapped the 300W up to the top to take care of the newbies, since the 1000W alone was resulting in a lot of reaching from the plants around the edges.

The alma paprika continue to outdo the rest, which is fun; my CGN 21500 continue to grow freaking purple leaves, which is... I don't know. Kind of cool, I guess, and hopefully normal?

internationalfish said:
The alma paprika continue to outdo the rest, which is fun; my CGN 21500 continue to grow freaking purple leaves, which is... I don't know. Kind of cool, I guess, and hopefully normal?

Hey iFish.  Don't think I've commented in your glogs before, but have enjoyed them.  Based on the two CGN21500 I have growing now, the dark leaves and stems are normal  - or at least common - at your early stage, but the dark leaves will get greener within a month or so with the stems and veins retaining a red/purple tint - at least through a couple months or so where mine are now.

Keep up the good work!

CaneDog said:
Hey iFish.  Don't think I've commented in your glogs before, but have enjoyed them.  Based on the two CGN21500 I have growing now, the dark leaves and stems are normal  - or at least common - at your early stage, but the dark leaves will get greener within a month or so with the stems and veins retaining a red/purple tint - at least through a couple months or so where mine are now.

Keep up the good work!
Hey CaneDog! That's great to know, I appreciate the insight. :)

I'll definitely keep trying not to fail too hard.

Maybe it was pre-ordained; after managing to fry a whole batch of seeds, I think I've now managed to fry three or four sprouts by getting too aggressive with the lighting right after they came out of the coffee filters. Stupid.

I do have a 7JPN, a devil's tongue, and a ghost that should probably be OK, but this batch seems to have some low germination rates, so let's hope either one of the purple UFO's is a late bloomer or the one I think I killed comes back (along with the others whose fate I suspect I've sealed).

Damn. Ah well, we'll see in the next few days.

CaneDog said:
Bummer about the seedlings, but it sounds like you caught it in time to avoid a total loss.  Hope that P UFO pulls through or another steps up; would like to see that as part of your grow.

Fortunately, when I left home this morning, the UFO looked like he was on the way back to Earth. So I think that one's covered; the others looked like losses, though, so barring late germination, I think I'm down to one plant each on the second set of four. Certainly not the worst possible outcome.

Now I just have to stop myself from starting even more seeds. 14 pepper plants is enough pepper plants, fish, it really is...

"14 pepper plants is enough pepper plants, fish, it really is..."

Sure it is  ;)

Just keep believing that.

PaulG said:
"14 pepper plants is enough pepper plants, fish, it really is..."

Sure it is  ;)

Just keep believing that.

Haha, yeah, I'm already falling apart on that one... and it's not even 14; I misremembered and took a recount this morning. It's 16.

internationalfish said:

Hoping so. They should be pretty well set this time.
Good luck! I've used both paper towels and coffee filters. The filters perform better for me, plus the seedlings' roots don't seem to grow into the filters as easily as they grow into the towels. Makes for easier transplanting and less chance of damaging those tiny roots!

nmlarson said:
Good luck! I've used both paper towels and coffee filters. The filters perform better for me, plus the seedlings' roots don't seem to grow into the filters as easily as they grow into the towels. Makes for easier transplanting and less chance of damaging those tiny roots!

Thanks! The coffee filters worked really well for me. I did get a lot of them growing into the material a little bit, but I just ran a sharp box cutter alongside the roots and that did the trick.

I should have a fresh picture up later today, I think. The seedlings are doing well, aside from the ones I nuked, but there's a lot of upward leaf curl going around. Not really sure what the deal is or whether it's a problem, so hopefully someone here can shed some light on it.

IMG_20181208_133226.jpg

Getting a bit nervous about this. I have a lot of upward curling going on, which has been the status quo for everything except the paprika.

There's also a lot of leaf yellowing in this picture. I'm assuming that's from a lack of nutrients; I just fertilized today for the first time in a couple weeks, so I'm hoping that's what the problem was. But any input on either of these things would be greatly appreciated.

iFish to me it looks like you have environmental factors happening there in addition to potential magnesium and nitrogen deficiencies. I always try to be careful when talking nute deficiencies because often more fertilizer isn't the solution even though the leaves aren't getting enough.  Of course, with a 60/40 coir/perlite medium, your plants will be totally dependent on you for nutrients and they're getting to the stage their demands are increasing.  Mind sharing what temps are you running at plant level what's your watering method and how do you determine when to water?

Back