• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Four-Pepper False Start Glog

While I'm (successfully) growing plenty of herbs at the moment, the important stuff is obviously the peppers... and, since I'm pretty sure I baked the first set of seeds I attempted to germinate due to underestimating the power of my seedling heat mat after moving it into the grow tent, we're calling that a swing and a miss and moving on with Batch #2.

Tomorrow night they'll get the coffee-filter-in-a-baggie treatment and a hopefully-more-comfortable place in a lovely fluffy towel on the mat.

CaneDog said:
Oh shoot, that's right!  You topped it.  Both my 21500's looked similar to yours at a similar age. Really good looking plants.  One is now the base of a graft, so it's not particularly recognizable anymore.  It was starting to stretch and without branching, so i topped it then decided to graft onto it.  The other has been interesting.  It started out similarly to the other (not quite as much node spacing as the first though) and then when it looked like it wouldn't ever branch it started suddenly bushing out massively.  I'll see about posting up a pic or two in my grow log. 

Will be interesting to see how yours behaves.

OK, interesting. I do still have three 21500's growing, so maybe I'll also see some variety there. Since I screwed the last seedlings up so well, I shouldn't need to poach containers or space again for whatever the next round ends up being.

Robot Mode said:
Great growlog so far. I am excited to see what you do with planting so many as I am also going down the same path! :crazy:

Looking good, good luck!

Thanks very much! Yeah, there's something wrong with us, isn't there?

I see you're in MI; I'm from MN. I also have some friends from the UP who escaped to Grand Rapids, which seems like a pretty decent place.

So I just got the last shipment in I intend to order for... I don't know, the next decade? I now have 24 types of seeds, seven of which I'm growing...

...though that seven may actually be six. I was pretty clearly drunk last time I counted my peppers, because I included the two mint in the tent and possibly the basil; as it is, I have 13 pepper plants if the 7JPN starts doing better. It has stalled early and seems be on the way out, and the white devil's tongue is, unfortunately, now definitively dead.

On the plus side:
  • Having just six varieties growing means I can and will grow at least another two.
  • I now have fish pepper seeds. So obviously this one gets priority. I mean, come on.
  • The remaining options are riiiidiiiicuuuulouuuus.
Seeds I have that I don't have viable plants for, optimistically excluding the 7JPN:
  • Devil’s tongue white
  • Sugar rush peach
  • Sugar rush cream
  • Huacho amarillo
  • Naglah
  • Goronong
  • Fatalii gourmet jigsaw x Large red Jamaican habanero
  • Zapotec jalapeno
  • Thunder Mountain Longhorn
  • Fish pepper
  • Greek pepperoncini
  • Datil
  • Giant white habanero
  • Casados
  • Caribe
  • Corno di toro yellow
  • Shishito
So! Pessimistic recommendations are welcome. What else should I queue up in the coffee filters? I'll start a couple fish seeds, probably this weekend; the jigsaw x Jamaican hab kind of caught my eye, but there's a lot to love here, and contrary opinions are more than welcome.

internationalfish said:

So I just got the last shipment in I intend to order for... I don't know, the next decade? I now have 24 types of seeds, seven of which I'm growing...

...though that seven may actually be six. I was pretty clearly drunk last time I counted my peppers, because I included the two mint in the tent and possibly the basil; as it is, I have 13 pepper plants if the 7JPN starts doing better. It has stalled early and seems be on the way out, and the white devil's tongue is, unfortunately, now definitively dead.

On the plus side:
  • Having just six varieties growing means I can and will grow at least another two.
  • I now have fish pepper seeds. So obviously this one gets priority. I mean, come on.
  • The remaining options are riiiidiiiicuuuulouuuus.
Seeds I have that I don't have viable plants for, optimistically excluding the 7JPN:
  • Devil’s tongue white
  • Sugar rush peach
  • Sugar rush cream
  • Huacho amarillo
  • Naglah
  • Goronong
  • Fatalii gourmet jigsaw x Large red Jamaican habanero
  • Zapotec jalapeno
  • Thunder Mountain Longhorn
  • Fish pepper
  • Greek pepperoncini
  • Datil
  • Giant white habanero
  • Casados
  • Caribe
  • Corno di toro yellow
  • Shishito
So! Pessimistic recommendations are welcome. What else should I queue up in the coffee filters? I'll start a couple fish seeds, probably this weekend; the jigsaw x Jamaican hab kind of caught my eye, but there's a lot to love here, and contrary opinions are more than welcome.

I feel ya my friend as I too have gone waaaay over board on the seed purchase for this coming season. I was abit disapointed last year with my seeds not growing true so I made 2 large orders from TexasHP and a smaller one from Negroni Peppers.  Between the 3 im sitting around 60 different types give or take..and I believe its more on the give side of t hings. I do have more then enough room in the garden if I was so inclined to do them all but at most would probably stick to 15-20ish as I will grow just as many tomato types and other garden vegis. Needless to say I have enough seeds for a few seasons now for sure.

CDNmatt said:
I feel ya my friend as I too have gone waaaay over board on the seed purchase for this coming season. I was abit disapointed last year with my seeds not growing true so I made 2 large orders from TexasHP and a smaller one from Negroni Peppers.  Between the 3 im sitting around 60 different types give or take..and I believe its more on the give side of t hings. I do have more then enough room in the garden if I was so inclined to do them all but at most would probably stick to 15-20ish as I will grow just as many tomato types and other garden vegis. Needless to say I have enough seeds for a few seasons now for sure.
Haha, wow! Yeah, you certainly have a more advanced form of the same problem. 15-20 pepper plants is still nothing to sneeze at, though (unless you're grinding pods without ventilation; then the sneezing is justified).

CaneDog said:
Good score iFish!  So many choices and I'm definitely not good about deciding what NOT to grow.  I will say the jigsaw cross sounds interesting and Zapotec jalapeno is near the top of my list for 2019 summer grow, having not growing any Jalapenos in 2018.
I can't even recall the last time I ate a jalapeno. I never particularly cared for them, but this variety seemed interesting, so I figured I'd give them a shot.

I realized this morning I didn't have a decent group shot. Here they are, minus the two wee sprouts that survived my recent germination adventure.

IMG_20181214_064744.jpg

But when you grow your own Jalapenos, you can eat them...                                       RED!

I see some solid new growth there!   And the Ghost and Purple UFO are looking better too?

CaneDog said:
But when you grow your own Jalapenos, you can eat them... RED!
My mind has been going to stuffing everything, and I suspect those would be very good for that.

CaneDog said:
I see some solid new growth there!   And the Ghost and Purple UFO are looking better too?

Yeah, fertilizing plants really helps, oddly enough! :D

The ghost and UFO are looking well, yep; just not much to see, since they're only starting their first sets of true leaves.

After going over what I have and what I was hoping for from the last batch... I'm going with fish peppers and, one more time, white devil's tongue. The latter is supposed to be seriously productive with low-end habanero heat, which I think will work out well for easing my less capsaicin-fiendish friends into the habit (and hopefully provide me with something I can chew on regularly without dying to improve my own tolerance).

Here they are, all bedded down for the last week-or-so-long nap they'll get as seeds (they're in a bag, it just didn't come out as clearly as I'd expected). Hopefully this round goes better than the last; provided at least one of each germinates, I should be OK.

that-fffffffish.jpg

This is a little late, but the Datil and Goronong are
some of the best yellow peppers I've grown. Very
productive, very hot, and good culinary pods,
especially the Goronong. 

Good luck with your Fish and Devil's Tongue. I 
haven't grown the Fish, but the Devil's Tongue
was a good pepper, just not as good to me as
the other two. I do like the yellow peppers.

PaulG said:
This is a little late, but the Datil and Goronong are
some of the best yellow peppers I've grown. Very
productive, very hot, and good culinary pods,
especially the Goronong. 

Good luck with your Fish and Devil's Tongue. I 
haven't grown the Fish, but the Devil's Tongue
was a good pepper, just not as good to me as
the other two. I do like the yellow peppers.
Thanks for the input. I picked up the datil because of rave reviews I saw here, and the goronong was an extra; I'll bump both to the front of the queue for next time. You know, next season. Or next week. Whichever.

internationalfish said:

Thanks very much! Yeah, there's something wrong with us, isn't there?

I see you're in MI; I'm from MN. I also have some friends from the UP who escaped to Grand Rapids, which seems like a pretty decent place.

I grew up in the UP (Gladstone near Escanaba)! and I have friends and family in Grand Rapids as well, wonderful place!

Waiting for some cold weather before I go back to the Yoop for some ice fishing! Always exciting to talk to someone who knows what the UP is :metal:

Also on the topic of germination, do you have better results with coffee filters compared to paper towels? I have a heat pad and am still struggling to get anything to germinate. Also see you ordered from WhiteHotPepper.com as well. Any luck with justin's seeds?

Robot Mode said:
I grew up in the UP (Gladstone near Escanaba)! and I have friends and family in Grand Rapids as well, wonderful place!

Waiting for some cold weather before I go back to the Yoop for some ice fishing! Always exciting to talk to someone who knows what the UP is :metal:
Haha, nice! I think ice fishing is something I'd have to explain to my Japanese friends, and I kind of doubt they'd believe me. When Tokyo hits freezing and we get a dusting of snow, the locals act like it's a wintry apocalypse.

Robot Mode said:
Also on the topic of germination, do you have better results with coffee filters compared to paper towels? I have a heat pad and am still struggling to get anything to germinate. Also see you ordered from WhiteHotPepper.com as well. Any luck with justin's seeds?
Better results, no, I don't think so. But coffee filters are made to be soaked, so they don't rip and stick to themselves the way paper towels do. While I regularly have the roots grow into the filters, it's easy to run a blade alongside the root to extricate it.

Yep! I have a ghost and a purple UFO from Justin's seeds that just sprouted and are growing happily. I had about six other sprouts in that batch (including 7JPN and devil's tongue white), but after potting them, I got overzealous with the lighting and killed 'em right quick. So WHP seeds have definitely been good for me, but I haven't been very good for WHP seeds.

internationalfish said:
Haha, nice! I think ice fishing is something I'd have to explain to my Japanese friends, and I kind of doubt they'd believe me. When Tokyo hits freezing and we get a dusting of snow, the locals act like it's a wintry apocalypse.

Better results, no, I don't think so. But coffee filters are made to be soaked, so they don't rip and stick to themselves the way paper towels do. While I regularly have the roots grow into the filters, it's easy to run a blade alongside the root to extricate it.

Yep! I have a ghost and a purple UFO from Justin's seeds that just sprouted and are growing happily. I had about six other sprouts in that batch (including 7JPN and devil's tongue white), but after potting them, I got overzealous with the lighting and killed 'em right quick. So WHP seeds have definitely been good for me, but I haven't been very good for WHP seeds.

Yeah just show them videos of the fishing bar they install on the ice every year in Minnesota!

That's great to hear, I am excited for some off WHP genetics. I am also germinating devil's tongue white as well right now! I hope we are both able to grow them at the same time. I also have not been too good to WHP seeds. I roasted about 60 seeds and 7 strains when I let my bags get 130 degrees. :whistle:

Robot Mode said:
That's great to hear, I am excited for some off WHP genetics. I am also germinating devil's tongue white as well right now! I hope we are both able to grow them at the same time. I also have not been too good to WHP seeds. I roasted about 60 seeds and 7 strains when I let my bags get 130 degrees. :whistle:

Haha, yeah, I saw that. I had a reply typed out and my laptop decided to cock it up when I tried to post, but others chimed in with the same info anyway, so no loss there. After I did the same thing (though with fewer seeds) I got paranoid about keeping a thermometer with them at all times.

Definitely looking forward to the devil's tongue. Hoping to make some nearly-white powder with that, and it should be nice and versatile for variously-colored sauces.

So... the bags ended up being a little bigger than I thought.

bagged-alma-erste.jpg

It's not the end of the world, but I think I'm going to have substantially larger plants than I was intending. I've already ordered new legs for the shelving I have; right now the bottom area is shorter, but I'm going to need the tent evenly split if I'm going to be able to grow two tiers of these.

That's the smaller of my two alma paprika, by the way.

Right now I have six varieties growing, and most of them are ready to go into larger containers.

3x chocolate habanero
3x CGN 21500
2x alma paprika
2x lemon drop

Two, though, are way behind, and need more time before they're bagged up.

1x ghost
1x purple UFO

With the seedlings, I should add this in a week or so.

1-2x devil's tongue white
1-2x fish peppers

I'm out of town (well, out of country) this coming weekend, but before that I want to get the second alma, at least two of the habs, and possibly a 21500 into bags. When I'm back, I have a week of working from home and then I'm off again; during that week I think I'll probably get the rest of batch 1 bagged.

This is the timeline I'm expecting.

December, January
All ten bags on top, seeds and seedlings on the bottom. This will hopefully include the Sri Lanka Chili Red for the growdown, for which THP came out of nowhere to intervene and get me re-inserted into the Matrix.  :shocked:

February
By the beginning or middle of February, I'm hoping rounds 2 and 3 are ready to go into bags, at which point they'll get the bottom shelf (probably going to have to upgrade the 300W light that's in there to support that many plants).

March
This should be when Tokyo starts getting habitable, so one of each type will stay in the tent, and the rest will move out, whether that means into one of our various greenery racks or into other people's tiny Tokyo homes (planning to bring at least one to work, too, probably a lemon drop).

So that means eight plants on the top shelf, with the bottom dedicated to the growdown.  :cool:

Sounds like a great plan, 'Fish! Looking forward to
seeing all those huge plants growing in the tiny
Tokyo homes!

Looks like it's getting real over there!  Glad to see you back in the grow-down.  What capacity grow bags are those?  Hard to tell from the picture but they look like maybe 2 gallon I'm going to say, cautiously...   You said that's the smaller AP though, so perhaps that's throwing off my perspective.

CaneDog said:
Looks like it's getting real over there!  Glad to see you back in the grow-down.

Thanks, me too!

CaneDog said:
What capacity grow bags are those?  Hard to tell from the picture but they look like maybe 2 gallon I'm going to say, cautiously...   You said that's the smaller AP though, so perhaps that's throwing off my perspective.

They're 3 gallon bags. I went looking and it's harder to find the 2 gallon size... plus I already have enough of these for the 'season'... so I'm just going to go with it and hope it's not totally excessive.

Back