• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

FreeportBum's kind of late but here is my first Glog.

Wanted to do this for a while but haven't found the time, So testing..... trying to post a pic if it works I have a bunch more.  Want to say thanks to jamie(romy6) for most of the super hot seeds.  Seeds started march 11, all plants except sweet cheese are in 10gal pots mixed with sunshine mix #4 and happy frog. 

This years growing list-
Yellow 7 pod
Congo trinidad
Chocolate naga morich
Yellow brain strain
Brain strain
Douglah
Trinidad scorpion(butch t's)- from my plants last year
Yellow sweet cheese
Long Cayenne- two varieties
and a couple other mystery plants

peppers2013_zpsa26fb9da.jpg

Do you folks really think I started to late?  I was thinking about this... last year I started my seeds on March 28 and my tscorp plants got crazy huge..., this year seeds started march 11th.   I was thinking any sooner my plants would basically get to big to soon and get leggy. Up here in Maine winter sticks around in spring sometimes to long, I had to bring in all my plants every night until june 1st.   thoughts? 

I think it kinda depends on which varieties you're talking about. For most Annuums sowing indoors in March for plant-out by early June is pretty standard. I think the same timing would work for Baccatums as well. For Pubiscens and especially for Chinense varieties, you'd probably do better to start in January for plant-out in early June. Orange Habaneros are one of the earliest and least picky of the Chinense chiles, and has about 100 days to maturity after sprouting.

stickman said:
I think it kinda depends on which varieties you're talking about. For most Annuums sowing indoors in March for plant-out by early June is pretty standard. I think the same timing would work for Baccatums as well. For Pubiscens and especially for Chinense varieties, you'd probably do better to start in January for plant-out in early June. Orange Habaneros are one of the earliest and least picky of the Chinense chiles, and has about 100 days to maturity after sprouting.

Wow January thanks for the info stickman I would have never thought to start that early.  I am going to have to try and make a larger germinating area for the plants then I think.  :party:

romy6 said:
 Dev your chinense look great so I would keep doing what your doing. But like Rick said you  might get one more chinense harvest if you start in January. 

Thanks Jamie.  Finally stopped raining here so time to play. Have a great weekend everyone

WG random thoughts ...
  • Fantastic pod on your Yellow Sweet Cheese Pepper, bet you can’t wait to bite into dat when she ripens ^_^
  • Congo plant looks awesome, lush & healthy … she should be a work horse for you, can’t wait to see your pods!
  • Love dem wild cherry tomatoes, very similar to my Everglades wild which has slowed down for summer. Not that I know but she grows and puts out much more for me in the winter. Looking great brethren …
  • Great photography & grow, keep up the great grow mon ^_^
Hope you have a great week mon!

Few more random pics I took today.
Cayenne's are starting to pod up
pepper20132_zps20a7cfbf.jpg

Yellow 7 pod flowers
pepper20136_zpsa37c6d6e.jpg

First Congo Trinidad getting bigger
pepper20133_zps01f98242.jpg

First sweet cheese pepper getting bigger
pepepr2013_zpse97444cf.jpg

Peppers are starting to fill out their 10 gallon pots
pepper20137_zpsfefaa842.jpg

first plant on left is one of my Butch t's from last year getting ready to explode. 
pepper20139_zps99032c71.jpg

Peppers are going to get thinned to 4 pots per pallet this weekend.  :dance:

Everything's looking great Devan! I'm getting some nice sized pods on the Maya Red and JA Hot Chocolate Habaneros, all the Chinense chiles have set pods and the Annuums have started ripening, so your chiles shouldn't be more than a couple of weeks behind them. :party:

Cheers!

stickman said:
Everything's looking great Devan! I'm getting some nice sized pods on the Maya Red and JA Hot Chocolate Habaneros, all the Chinense chiles have set pods and the Annuums have started ripening, so your chiles shouldn't be more than a couple of weeks behind them. :party:

Cheers!

Thanks Rick ! How do you like the Choco Habs?

Trippa said:
Nice salubrious looking plants and pods there. Keep on growing!!
Thank you sir

FreeportBum said:
  Thanks Rick ! How do you like the Choco Habs?

They haven't ripened yet, but probably in 2-3 weeks. The seeds were from pods I bought at a local farm stand last summer, and I remember them as plenty hot and tasty, but I'll be able to give a more detailed description when they ripen up. Cheers!

stickman said:

They haven't ripened yet, but probably in 2-3 weeks. The seeds were from pods I bought at a local farm stand last summer, and I remember them as plenty hot and tasty, but I'll be able to give a more detailed description when they ripen up. Cheers!

Cool thanks rick. Really want to do a bunch of chocolate and yellow varieties next year. 

Nice pics Devan! As hot as it's been here the last week, it seems like the season will hold for you for at least another 8 weeks or so... looking forward to seeing pics of ripe poddage from you then. Cheers!

GnomeGrown said:
Awesome looking plants and pods, Bum.

Happy Harvests to you

:mouthonfire:

Thank you
stickman said:
Nice pics Devan! As hot as it's been here the last week, it seems like the season will hold for you for at least another 8 weeks or so... looking forward to seeing pics of ripe poddage from you then. Cheers!

Thanks Rick, I can't wait to sample whole ripe pods from each plant!

Back