• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Fried Chicken

Couldn't find a fried chicken thread here, so why not make one! Anyway, occasionally KFC here sells a delicacy called "Hot n Spicy", ever since I was a child I was infatuated with it. But the bastards only sell it for a month every year, and sometimes they skip years. 

I have no choice but to replicate this Hot n Spicy, because it is one of the reasons I keep myself alive today. I was dumb when buying the chicken, I bought the drumsticks, wings and thighs seperately, and spent like $15 all up, when all I had to do is buy 3x "Chicken Maryland", which is the drumstick and thigh in one piece, plus a couple of wings, it would've come to like $7 total. Herp de Derp

So here it is. Verdict... the skin was delightfully crispy, and the chicken, holy crap the juices actually ran down my fingers! But need to ramp up the spices, especially the heat! 

Ofcourse, I bought the coleslaw from an actual KFC, after all, the KFC experience is NOT complete without that coleslaw :D

Marinated chicken ready to be KFC'd
hs4_zps379d88ba.jpg

hs5_zps96d408da.jpg

hs6_zps2b95163f.jpg

hs1_zps8a568b09.jpg

hs3_zpsd4dc3736.jpg

hs2_zps521a6c79.jpg

It was a tad weak on the spices, so I doubled the spice mix in the flour, plus I added a crap-ton of Tabasco sauce and chilli flakes to the brine for the next batch. Can't wait till tomorrow night! 

ill be honest i do lots of things with milk,"have moved to yougurt" on several cuts.

chicken:: if you have to tenderize it you have a old crusty bird.

i think ive only eaten a bought bird "of any kind" maybe 5 times in the last three years. that includes twice eating at some china buffet.
so i guess if your buying store bought you might need to tenderize?
frsh duck,fresh chicken,fresh turkey,fresh ostrich.  guess thats why im fat :rofl:

i dont need to read all that. i dont have no beef with  milk"i drink 3 glasses everyday" we have been making our own butter for over a year now. i love milk!

i just dont need to soak my bird in it.  it dont get more fresh and tender than watching it walk around and then throwing it in the frying pan. old birds get made into gator bait around here.

yall mofos going to make me fry up some chicken :evil:

JayT said:
heh you are Yankee Light.  We are maybe 120 miles apart.
I am 1/4 Yankee, 3/4 south of the line ;)
sicman said:
i dont need to read all that. i dont have no beef with  milk"i drink 3 glasses everyday" we have been making our own butter for over a year now. i love milk!

i just dont need to soak my bird in it.  it dont get more fresh and tender than watching it walk around and then throwing it in the frying pan. old birds get made into gator bait around here.

yall mofos going to make me fry up some chicken :evil:
That link was for dash, I kill plenty that I eat btw...as for yardbirds...meh

Took some of the advice onboard and will try buttermilk again. Last time I soaked in only buttermilk and it ended up an epic fail. Black skin after only 8 minutes in the bath, so this time I'm using 1:3 ratio of buttermilk to water. 

The left over chicken pieces from last night were put back into the brine, then this morning I transferred them to a seasoned buttermilk/water mixture. I heaped on a crap ton of chilli powder and flakes to get some spice in there. Also put in a generous helping of Tabasco sauce (yes, yes Heresy I know!!!!) but I LOVE its flavour. Squeezed some lemon juice in to give it a tang.

bm_zps37a9cbc8.jpg

I am really wondering about the temperature of your oil. I've never thinned buttermilk with water and have never had black skin when using it. There again, my stovetop doesn't get hot enough to get sugar to the hard crack stage when I candy chile pods, either. 

geeme said:
I am really wondering about the temperature of your oil. I've never thinned buttermilk with water and have never had black skin when using it. There again, my stovetop doesn't get hot enough to get sugar to the hard crack stage when I candy chile pods, either. 

Problem with pan frying is that you don't know the exact temps of the oil. Last night I heated it up until bits of flour were bubbling then turned the burner to half after adding the chicken which resulted in a near perfect skin. Last time I had it on the wok burner instead of the normal burner so probably was too hot. 

Soaking in the 1:3 buttermilk/water mixture created a completely different flavour and skin to just the brining and then dipping in water-milk.

The flavour was phenomenal, and the chicken was literally falling off the bone. One odd thing though, the skin was not sticking as well as my water brined ones in my OP. But the meat itself was so much more tender and juicy IMO. 

However, I have to say, this chicken was better than the ones in my OP, the flavour of the skin was amazing, and the meat was so soft, juicy and tender it was actually falling apart in my hands. Goddamn. 

1_zpsb7c46984.jpg

2_zps0977b15e.jpg

3_zpsa021f384.jpg

After you dredge and get the dry ingredients on it, place it on a rack for a period of time to air dry. This should achieve the crispy skin you seek. Glad to hear it turned out awesome, I'd hit it!

Scoville DeVille said:
Damm fine looking chicken!

365° F is my ideal frying temperature for chicken. 400°- 425° for twice dipped french fries. mmmm

Best $12 you will ever spend...

attachicon.gif
image.jpg

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I like the ones with a clip to hang on the side of the dutch oven in your are stove-top frying. I have the exact one you posted however for all kinds of cooking!
Im with you JHP....here is one i use, same price
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Taylor-Candy-Jelly-Deep-Fry-Thermometer/16514983?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs_top&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=75600765879&category=0%3A4044%3A623679%3A133020%3A1074487&client_guid=7c2e5c05-5db9-44cf-b927-9c30e516703b&config_id=2&parent_item_id=10542212&guid=f8a5ae3c-465d-484d-a424-163b3af725a0&bucket_id=irsbucket000&findingMethod=p13n

JoynersHotPeppers said:
After you dredge and get the dry ingredients on it, place it on a rack for a period of time to air dry. This should achieve the crispy skin you seek. Glad to hear it turned out awesome, I'd hit it!

The skin was crispy, just didn't adhere to the chicken as much as I'd like, although the skin in the OP batch stuck better even though I used the same techniques. Interesting. 

Have to get me one of those thermometers!

i like to make mine with flour and blue corn meal, i season my flour with spices and super hot pepper powder.  I use eggs too of course and a little milk.

This thread certainly brings back fond memories! Hot n spicy KFC was one of the first foods that got me really loving spicy food. I think I was around 10 when I first tried it, and holy crap did it it burn at the time! But I loved the flavour. And quickly learnt to love the heat. I'd never really even cared for KFC up until then. KFC hot n spicy is still a guilty pleasure of mine, and an extremely rare one now as for some reason they don't have any sort of variety of it in the heart of Cajun country, so I can only indulge on rare trips back home. All we can get is original or crispy, which is the same as hot n spicy but without the spices. Severely tempted to try my own now. Any chance you could share your recipe Hells Kitchen?

MeatHead1313 said:
This thread certainly brings back fond memories! Hot n spicy KFC was one of the first foods that got me really loving spicy food. I think I was around 10 when I first tried it, and holy crap did it it burn at the time! But I loved the flavour. And quickly learnt to love the heat. I'd never really even cared for KFC up until then. KFC hot n spicy is still a guilty pleasure of mine, and an extremely rare one now as for some reason they don't have any sort of variety of it in the heart of Cajun country, so I can only indulge on rare trips back home. All we can get is original or crispy, which is the same as hot n spicy but without the spices. Severely tempted to try my own now. Any chance you could share your recipe Hells Kitchen?

Over here they only bring out Hot n Spicy once a year for a month. Queensland and Western Australia get it permanently for some reason, while we suffer. : :banghead:

Actually that's what got me into chilli and spicy foods aswell :D I absolutely adore Hot n Spicy, as a kid nothing else made me happier, when my parents would say "we are going to get some Kentucky, it was better than christmas lol. 

My recipe is experimental at this stage, just trying out different methods of brining/marinating and fine tuning the spices. One thing I need to try is create a very hot dry rub, rub the chicken with it, then proceed with marination and flouring. There is a shop called "USA foods" not far from me and the place is a chilli palace. Might get started with this: http://www.usafoods.com.au/Sauces-and-Spices/Spices-and-Rubs/Los-Chileros-Chile-Habanero-Powder-1oz

Even putting several tablespoons of Cayenne pepper, chilli powder etc in the flour, and loading the marinate with hot sauce, chilli flakes and more Cayenne pepper it was still not very hot... 

Back