• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Fried Chicken

Couldn't find a fried chicken thread here, so why not make one! Anyway, occasionally KFC here sells a delicacy called "Hot n Spicy", ever since I was a child I was infatuated with it. But the bastards only sell it for a month every year, and sometimes they skip years. 

I have no choice but to replicate this Hot n Spicy, because it is one of the reasons I keep myself alive today. I was dumb when buying the chicken, I bought the drumsticks, wings and thighs seperately, and spent like $15 all up, when all I had to do is buy 3x "Chicken Maryland", which is the drumstick and thigh in one piece, plus a couple of wings, it would've come to like $7 total. Herp de Derp

So here it is. Verdict... the skin was delightfully crispy, and the chicken, holy crap the juices actually ran down my fingers! But need to ramp up the spices, especially the heat! 

Ofcourse, I bought the coleslaw from an actual KFC, after all, the KFC experience is NOT complete without that coleslaw :D

Marinated chicken ready to be KFC'd
hs4_zps379d88ba.jpg

hs5_zps96d408da.jpg

hs6_zps2b95163f.jpg

hs1_zps8a568b09.jpg

hs3_zpsd4dc3736.jpg

hs2_zps521a6c79.jpg

It was a tad weak on the spices, so I doubled the spice mix in the flour, plus I added a crap-ton of Tabasco sauce and chilli flakes to the brine for the next batch. Can't wait till tomorrow night! 

FreeportBum said:
Best tip you will ever get- Chicken Bucket. Low pressure pressure cooker is the best way to fry chicken imo.   :cheers:

Pressure cooker, I've been thinking about those, are you talking about those ones that you can get from the department store? I've heard KFC use pressure fryers, and that's got me thinking on the whole pressure cooker idea. I'm guessing you'd use enough oil to deep fry, but how long would it take to fry the chicken vs a pan or regular deep fryer? 

As for pan frying, I'm thinking of ordering this http://www.kitchenwaredirect.com.au/Bakers-Secret-Candy-Deep-Fry-Thermometer

Lazy Mans Oven Fried Chicken---

Overnight buttermilk soak, put 1/3-1/2 cup oil on baking sheet, dredge chicken in flour/spice mixture of your choice (I use weber beer can chicken spice, and granulated garlic). Put in oven @ 400 for about 25-30 minutes (or until golden brown) flip and repeat. Remove from oven and sprinkle with fav hot powder. Results.......

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

Those are some really good looking chicken Beerbreath I'd hit it!
Interesting link tb I actually used lemon in my brine and it added alot of flavor. The ice brine is interesting might give it a shot. I'm assuming to get the flavoirs in you can season the brine itself
I.e.put a crapton of hot pepper powder or even fresh chillis in it

Hells Kitchen said:

Pressure cooker, I've been thinking about those, are you talking about those ones that you can get from the department store? I've heard KFC use pressure fryers, and that's got me thinking on the whole pressure cooker idea. I'm guessing you'd use enough oil to deep fry, but how long would it take to fry the chicken vs a pan or regular deep fryer? 

As for pan frying, I'm thinking of ordering this http://www.kitchenwaredirect.com.au/Bakers-Secret-Candy-Deep-Fry-Thermometer
Google Wear-ever chicken bucket low pressure fryer. you can find them on ebay pretty cheap. It doesn't use very much oil, has a oil fill mark on the inside.  Once you try it there's a good chance you will never make fried chicken again without it. Depends on size of pieces but for thighs I usually go 3-4 minutes with lid off then screw on lid and go 12 minutes or so under pressure. After doing it a few times you can really tell when its done by the smell. no need for timers.  :cheers:

KFC , rubbed in HK special rub, brined in water and seasoned salt, then double breaded in a mixture of flour, cornflour, special HK spice rub (which contains a lot of paprika, lemon pepper, Cayenne, Chilli powder, ground black pepper), something like 5 tablespoons of Cayenne powder with 1:4 ratio of milk-water wash.

Felt no heat whatsoever. Skin was nice and crispy though, with good flavour, but no heat. I think either I need to use the entire freaking jar of Cayenne, or find some Habanero and Ghost chilli powder...

20140804_222603_zps3424c979.jpg

on the 8th day, god created beer, on the 9th day, he created the deep fryer. 
20140804_223854_zpsfd9b93a5.jpg

HKFC
20140804_225719_zpscd6c650e.jpg

20140804_225228_zps00a8829c.jpg

20140804_231620_zps06c69345.jpg

The heat must've been in there somewhere coz I even got some authentic post-KFC shits the next day!!!!! 

Did some impromptu KFC the other night. Really a spur of the moment thing so threw together some Flour, cayenne, salt, garlic/onion powder, paprika and lemon pepper for the breading and seasoned the chicken pieces in cayenne pepper, oil, hot sauce, S+P with some lemon juice. Being late at night and too many (or is it not enough?) beers in, I only had it marinating for like half an hour. I think I put a crapload of cayenne pepper in it this time, but still could barely feel any heat! Needs more time marinating me thinks, but as far as taste goes, I was happier with this batch than my previous ones. 

4_zps8rw3yce1.jpg

1_zpsstnpaubf.jpg

3_zpsmaayo8fw.jpg

2_zpsh21siqvr.jpg

Hells Kitchen said:
Did some impromptu KFC the other night. Really a spur of the moment thing so threw together some Flour, cayenne, salt, garlic/onion powder, paprika and lemon pepper for the breading and seasoned the chicken pieces in cayenne pepper, oil, hot sauce, S+P with some lemon juice. Being late at night and too many (or is it not enough?) beers in, I only had it marinating for like half an hour. I think I put a crapload of cayenne pepper in it this time, but still could barely feel any heat! Needs more time marinating me thinks, but as far as taste goes, I was happier with this batch than my previous ones. 

4_zps8rw3yce1.jpg

1_zpsstnpaubf.jpg

3_zpsmaayo8fw.jpg

2_zpsh21siqvr.jpg
Great looking fried chicken!

Wow!

You guys are all up in here mastering fried chicken! Was great to read this whole topic.

Alright i need to make some fried chicken this weekend.  A little flour, corn meal, green chile powder maybe.  Pics will follow.  Too much good looking chicken being posted.

Back