• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Ga GH's 2014 - The beginning

So it's official.

13866529297480.jpg

The 2014 season has just begun.

I planted the first six, on the right, 7 days ago. The second six a few days later.
13866529539951.jpg

First up is c. pubescen Canario.

More details later.

capsidadburn said:
Have a great holiday Jason to you and yours!  I know the fresh pods I got from you were a big inspiration for my 2014 season!  Thanks!

Cheers

Mike
Merry Christmas Mike!
Glad I could help! Always good spread the love. I found some keeper in last years grow. Hoping both our 2014s are unforgettable!
romy6 said:
 Great stuff as always J. 

Wishing u and yours  a Merry Christmas and an extra green New Year  :fireball:
Thank you Jamie!
Hoping it only gets better from here on out!
Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Very inspiring Jason... surely a sign for me to get moving.  A few questions if I may:

* Where do you get your peat pods?
* Do you always use them start with?

Thanks, wishing you and yours a Happy New Year!

meatfreak said:
That's a great Christmas gift, Jason :) Happy holidays from NL :)
Thanks Stefan! Happy new year to you!

Jamison said:
What a loving wife! Happy Holidays buddy!
Yeah man. Happy New Year to you my brother!

PaulG said:
Awesome buddy!  5" deep is great;
should make for a healthy tap root.

Your honey is Okay!
Yes. Prefect size being five inches deep. Will be able to keep the plants in them a bit longer.

Vegas_Chili said:
Wow, nice Christmas gift!
Hope you have an awesome New Year and hope you accomplish your goals and propositions. :cheers:
-Walt
Happy new year to you too Walter!

maximumcapsicum said:
Very nice. Now you got more space to get started. Congrats man!
I have 8 trays, and at 38 cells, that is 304 plants. And that's just two of the three shelves I have. Was going to add a shelf, but might not need to. Thanks Adam.

Devv said:
Glad to see the wife supports what you do, a very thoughtful gift. I'm sure you'll put them to good use this coming season!
Won't be long! Thanks Scott!

HillBilly Jeff said:
Awesome score man!!!
Thanks Jeff! I thought so too!

harris said:
Very inspiring Jason... surely a sign for me to get moving.  A few questions if I may:

* Where do you get your peat pods?
* Do you always use them start with?

Thanks, wishing you and yours a Happy New Year!
Happy new year too John. Let me know if you need any seeds. We can always meet again if your heading up this way.
And to your questions...
I am just using jiffy brand. I try to get a few boxes of the individual pellets by fall to have ready come now, usually the 36 ct boxes, but don't think I have what I need ATM. The bigger box stores will start putting them back out on the shelves just after the new year. If I don't see them soon I will have to order some online. I have gotten them a couple places locally, including wally world, $2.88 for the 36 ct box I think there. If I end up buying some online, I will send you a link to where I am getting them.
I have tryed a few different ways to germinate and I always seem to do better with the peat pellets. I really just like that I can move them around verse a tray with cells. Seed starting mix works well too. I would just need individual pots to make me happy, and the pellets are like little self contained pots. When using a heat mat, which not having to yet, the heat seems inconsistent across the mat, and seeds didn't germinate on the sides as well as the center for me. With pellets I could just rotate them around to where the heat was better. I also try using coconut coir last year with rates close to the seed starting mix, I just had to be on it with nutrients for the seedlings as the coir has none. Still had the same issus on the heating mat, with the coir, as it was in a 72 cell tray.
Yep... about time to start. I'm trying to hold off till the first or second week in January to start the first round of seeds.
Glad to see you aboard!

maximumcapsicum said:
Yeah I think you've got me convinced Jason. Gonna pick up some jiffy pellets this week and start germination soon!
I have also seen coconut coir pellets but have not used them yet. I'm thinking they would work just as well. Hope whatever method you use works out great for you! If one way is not working, try out another!

Yeah it seems like the jiffy pellets are a bit more straightforward than the tray... Simply pop the pellet into a solo cup when the true leaves appear or when the roots pop out the bottom. Also seems to give you a little more wiggle room with regard to fertilizer.

Do you remove the netting when you do the transplant?

maximumcapsicum said:
Yeah it seems like the jiffy pellets are a bit more straightforward than the tray... Simply pop the pellet into a solo cup when the true leaves appear or when the roots pop out the bottom. Also seems to give you a little more wiggle room with regard to fertilizer.

Do you remove the netting when you do the transplant?
I do remove the netting. The newest pellets I have bought have a felt cloth like material instead of the netting. They seem to air prune the roots which I like, but seem harder for the roots to grow thru in general. They get removed for sure.
Nightshade said:
Very nice selection of pubescens
Thank you Nightshade! Hoping I get any of them to pod up before the heat sets in.

GA Growhead said:
I do remove the netting. The newest pellets I have bought have a felt cloth like material instead of the netting. They seem to air prune the roots which I like, but seem harder for the roots to grow thru in general. They get removed for sure.
Thank you Nightshade! Hoping I get any of them to pod up before the heat sets in.

Right. I think following your glogs has shown me some of the errors I made last year. Got to loosen the pellets up, move them around, and transplant them as soon as I am sure they aren't going to dampen off. Looking forward to starting, just a couple weeks. 

When are you starting your big germination? I was thinking chinenses around the 14th and annuums at the start of february. Maybe tomatoes then too. Last year our last frost date was the 24th of March.

Back