• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Gassy's 2012/2013 Glog thingy

Well, Spring has arrived here in the Land of Oz and it's all starting to happen. I thought I would quit being a lazy bones and start a glog this season. Even though I'm so far behind where I had planned to be at this point, things are running along smoothly enough. I released some Neoseiulus californicus predator mites about a month ago to take care of my broad mite problem and so far, they are being amazing. A month later and I have yet to see any new signs of broad mite activity. It is still early days though and time will tell just how effective the little buggers are. And of course, I still have to get on top of the fruit fly problem (not looking forward to that one). With Spring here and new pods forming, the little bastages can't be too far around the corner. :(

A few piccies to get the show on the road. Not gonna backtrack or anything now... just some random shots of some of what's going on.

Rooster Spur - putting out first pods:

IMG_8018.JPG

Aji Amarillo x Yellow Trinidad Scorpion F2's:

IMG_8039.JPG

Naga Jolokia Purple x Hot Summer F1:

IMG_8051.JPG

Naga Jolokia Purple x Hot Summer F1:

IMG_8035.JPG

No chemicals in use here anymore - ladybug and lacewing eggs: :cool:

IMG_8005.JPG

Overwinters...

NOT Dorset Naga - coming into third year:

IMG_8002.JPG

Trinidad Scorpion ButchT - coming into third year:

IMG_8043.JPG

CGN 21500 - coming into second year:

IMG_8032.JPG

CGN 21566 - coming into second year:

IMG_8046.JPG

Pimenta da Neyde - coming into second year:

IMG_8029.JPG

Thanks for looking! :dance:

Good to see you back Gas. You're starting already... its tropical madness!

I like the Royal Black x Snow White. Are you thinking grey or zebra striped? Something with white pods and black foliage would be awesome!

Moo moo! It's great to be back!

I like the Royal Black x Snow White. Are you thinking grey or zebra striped? Something with white pods and black foliage would be awesome!

I honestly have no idea what to expect from it. Black foliage/white pods would be incredible though! That actually was part of the inspiration behind it but we'll see what the genes have to say about it. ;) One thing is for sure, I will be growing out a whole bunch of the F2 generation. My ultimate goal is to create a unique white-podded ornamental variety and name it after my mum.

Good to see you back Gas. You're starting already... its tropical madness!

Ha! Got my next glog name right there... Gassy's 2013/2014 Tropical Madness!

Hi Gassy, glad to have you back. Nice rogue's gallery of "The plants that wouldn't die!" That's quite a defensive perimeter of Ladybugs too, I didn't know you had so many varieties in OZ. Keep 'em green buddy!

Out of curiosity... what does the Pasilla x Bhut taste like?

Long overdue mate!! Better late than never though. Great to see some friends patrolling the garden,seems like most things down there are trying to kill you. My sis is heading to Melbourne to visit some family soon,pissed it isn't me.

Nice Reflection Ponds.....Nice Bugs ;)

I love a "striated" or ribbed Chocolate Bhut.

What did you think about 'Impact'.....that one snuck up on me last year.....and I've grown rather fond of it.They weathered the winter out doors, so they've earned the right to stick around.Glad you posted that pic....cuz now I can remove the question mark from the labels"Impact...????" :rofl:

Headed back across the pond for a busy whole 8 days home, time to go from 20oz cups to 3 gals, come up with a good excuse for ordering some live Peach Bhuts, Morouga Satans to back up the troops in the cups(My wife "they are doing fine", so I thought ....."uh,oh....." :rofl: ),cuz they should've arrived yesterday.
I'd better have a different answer for her though....not that one is the best weapon for the application... :dance:
Good luck this season, and Have a good one-
DJ

Hi Gassy, glad to have you back. Nice rogue's gallery of "The plants that wouldn't die!" That's quite a defensive perimeter of Ladybugs too, I didn't know you had so many varieties in OZ. Keep 'em green buddy!

Out of curiosity... what does the Pasilla x Bhut taste like?

Thanks mate!

The number of different ladybugs that fly in and out of here is crazy. That's not even the half of them! Best thing I ever did was give up the chemical warfare... turns out nature has a way of dealing with itself. Whodathunk!

The flavour of the Pasilla x Bhut F1 weighs more on the side of the Pasilla but you can definitely taste both parents there. The levels of each flavour are good though and to me they don't seem to clash. I dunno... I think more than anything, the Bhutiness kinda intensifies the berriness of the Pasilla flavour. And the heat... pwoar! Innntense! I dare say very close to the heat of the Bhut but it's hard to judge. It's a different burn than that of the Bhut (and according to my mouth, a more intense style of burn than that of the Bhut!) and might just give the false perception of being on a similar level. One thing I will say though, I was not ready for what it had to bring!

I have one F2 going ATM but I'm thinking I'll end up starting a few more. I think this one has potential.

Long overdue mate!! Better late than never though. Great to see some friends patrolling the garden,seems like most things down there are trying to kill you. My sis is heading to Melbourne to visit some family soon,pissed it isn't me.

Pr0ds! Thanks for stopping in.

Jump in her suitcase. ;)

Nice Reflection Ponds.....Nice Bugs ;)

I love a "striated" or ribbed Chocolate Bhut.

What did you think about 'Impact'.....that one snuck up on me last year.....and I've grown rather fond of it.They weathered the winter out doors, so they've earned the right to stick around.Glad you posted that pic....cuz now I can remove the question mark from the labels"Impact...????" :rofl:

Headed back across the pond for a busy whole 8 days home, time to go from 20oz cups to 3 gals, come up with a good excuse for ordering some live Peach Bhuts, Morouga Satans to back up the troops in the cups(My wife "they are doing fine", so I thought ....."uh,oh....." :rofl: ),cuz they should've arrived yesterday.
I'd better have a different answer for her though....not that one is the best weapon for the application... :dance:
Good luck this season, and Have a good one-
DJ

Dave!

I must say I am quite fond of the Impact too. Nowhere near as hot as a Bhut but I'm getting an OK burn from mine. First bite I seem to get this unpleasant bitterness but it fades very quickly and I am left with a very pleasant sweetness. The aroma I am getting is also very sweet. And I'm getting this really nice crunch to the pods. Shame about the bitterness but it can be forgiven. I get the feeling that mine would stand up to the cold too... now if only it got cold enough here to test that. :P

Gassy! Welcome back, my man! Been wondering what happened to you. Glad to see everything is well down-under. Happy to see some of the plants won't give up the ghost (literally), and that the good bugs are hanging around. Had the same discovery about the dandelions being an aphid "sink." Anyway, looks like you are back at it again for the next season...awesome! Best wishes!

Welcome back Jonny! Your killer photography and mad skillz were certainly missed.

»» Foobar2k ::: The Who - Tommy (1969) - 22 - Welcome Back! ::: 2:06/4:34 (•••••••••••) ::: 409 kbps «« ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

Awesome poddage mon and great pictures … sad to say even the floods of January were excellent pics. Dem remind me of some of the hurricane shots I’ve taken over the years, only wish we had digital back then, lols.

Whoa what a wonder wrap mon, going out with a poddage explosion bang! I love all the lady bug varieties, thanks for taking the time to shoot and display them, unfortunately we only have one variety where I live but I’m fortunate in that they always stop by and I don’t need to buy and release.

… One thing is for sure, I will be growing out a whole bunch of the F2 generation. My ultimate goal is to create a unique white-podded ornamental variety and name it after my mum.
Hat’s off mon \o_

Ha! Got my next glog name right there... Gassy's 2013/2014 Tropical Madness!

"Tropical Madness" Excellent choice, if you had not taken it I could see using something similar. It’s the main reason that I live where I live. Been wanting to move away for a long time but I love all dat grows in the Tropics …

Keep up the great grow and again it’s great to have you back mi Australian Brethren ^_^

Gassy! Welcome back, my man! Been wondering what happened to you. Glad to see everything is well down-under. Happy to see some of the plants won't give up the ghost (literally), and that the good bugs are hanging around. Had the same discovery about the dandelions being an aphid "sink." Anyway, looks like you are back at it again for the next season...awesome! Best wishes!

Dr Rock! Cheers, brother! What's been happening?? I will have to get over and check that glog out of yours! Maaan, I have A LOT of catching up to do!

Welcome back Jonny! Your killer photography and mad skillz were certainly missed.

»» Foobar2k ::: The Who - Tommy (1969) - 22 - Welcome Back! ::: 2:06/4:34 (•••••••••••) ::: 409 kbps «« ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

Awesome poddage mon and great pictures … sad to say even the floods of January were excellent pics. Dem remind me of some of the hurricane shots I’ve taken over the years, only wish we had digital back then, lols.

Whoa what a wonder wrap mon, going out with a poddage explosion bang! I love all the lady bug varieties, thanks for taking the time to shoot and display them, unfortunately we only have one variety where I live but I’m fortunate in that they always stop by and I don’t need to buy and release.

Hat’s off mon \o_

[/i]
"Tropical Madness" Excellent choice, if you had not taken it I could see using something similar. It’s the main reason that I live where I live. Been wanting to move away for a long time but I love all dat grows in the Tropics …

Keep up the great grow and again it’s great to have you back mi Australian Brethren ^_^

Walkie Talkie! Cheers, brother! :D With a welcome back like that, I will happily let you take the "Tropical Madness" (or something similar) title! 'Tis yours. :) (Provided moo gives the OK... after all, I did flog it from him).

As long as the ladybugs there are lean, mean aphid eating machines, don't matter how many types you have, ama right? ;) As well as the others, I actually have an odd veggo type here that flies in from time to time. Seems to be more interested in eating leaves than anything else. ¡Loco! :crazy: Come to think of it... I'm not even sure it's a real ladybug. :looks outside: Yeah, that's right, I'm suss on you guys.

Sorry all, had a bit on plate and disappeared for a bit there... but I'm back!

I ended up culling most of my plants a couple months ago and have only kept a handful of favourites to overwinter (and a few that I haven't seen/tasted pods from yet!).

Despite pruning most of the remaining plants right back at the time of the culling of the others, they all just grew right back and started producing again! (Not that I'm complaining, of course.... ;))

Without further ado, autumn poddage: :dance:

IMG_1611.JPG

IMG_1468.JPG

IMG_1496.JPG

IMG_1502.JPG

IMG_1509.JPG

IMG_1748.JPG

IMG_1547.JPG

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

With no real start or end to the season here ( :P ), I guess now is as good as any time to call it a wrap! First round of seeds for "next" season have been put down and a new glog should follow shortly. :party:

Sneak peek:
IMG_1702.JPG

C. annuum "Hot Fish" x C. annuum "Purple Flash" F1
C. annuum "Royal Black" x C. chinense "Snow White" F1
C. annuum "Goats Weed" x C. annuum "Purple Flash" F1
C. chinense "Spanish Naga" x C. chinense "CGN 21566" F1

Thanks for looking! :onfire:
All plants looking really healthy. Likes the Pimenta Roxa! See you are also growing Wilds.

Sneaky Peeky #2:

IMG_1993.JPG

IMG_1999.JPG

IMG_2003.JPG

And why Mr. Baccatum... WHY??

IMG_1988.JPG

All plants looking really healthy. Likes the Pimenta Roxa! See you are also growing Wilds.

Thanks Alice! The Pimenta Roxa pods are looking even better now that they are getting bigger. Getting cooler now though, they are really moving very slowly.

Speaking of wilds, I do believe I promised you some wild shots!

I will have to rustle up some more later but I don't really have a heckuva lot to show. I haven't really been successful with most wild types. C. praetermissum apparently doesn't like pyrethrum, C. galapagoense apparently doesn't like being hit with a deluge of water from idiots in apartments above you (whodathunk??), C. tovarii doesn't like broad mite, C. rhomboideum keeps going through this strange cycle of dying and coming back to life, and C. lanceolatum... I am convinced is impossible to germinate!

C. chacoense though, those things are tough!

IMG_0982.JPG

IMG_1982.JPG

And another little sneaky peeky:

IMG_2012.JPG

Can't wait to see how those two turn out!

Fish x Flash....that could potentially be the coolest looking chile plant ever! Youngsters are looking good mate.

Potentially, esse... potentially! While the cotyledons had purple in them and the leaves are starting to show a spot or two of variegation, it's kinda disappointing at the point. Maybe I'm just being my old impatient self though... it is still early days after all! ;)

While my intent was to come up with something cool, I'm not sure on how the genetics of variegation work. I have heard something along the lines of the "flaw" that causes variegation is only passed on if the variegated plant is a certain parent (the mother, I think? Makes sense if I am only seeing the Hot Fish variegation) or something. I dunno... I'm so unlearned in genetics!

I guess I'll find out though! Do and see works for me.

Awesome crosses Gassy!
Glad to see you around.
Hope life is treating you well for that matter.
I bought some stars&moon watermelons after seeing you mention them. Every get any to fruit? My are started and ready to be planted.

Wonder is the F2s will break out more variegated offspring on those fish crosses?

Awesome crosses Gassy!
Glad to see you around.
Hope life is treating you well for that matter.
I bought some stars&moon watermelons after seeing you mention them. Every get any to fruit? My are started and ready to be planted.

Wonder is the F2s will break out more variegated offspring on those fish crosses?

¡Gracias amigo!

I think you might have me mistaken for someone else regarding the melons. While I would love to be able to grow some melons, the chillies take precedence over the grow space I have. ;)

But you know what... you have me thinking. I'm so gonna grow a smaller vined melon like a rockmelon soon! I used to love growing vines when I was a chico.

My Hot Fish itself didn't actually break out in variegation right away so I think there's still hope for the F1. Of course, I do hope the F2's do too!

Sneaky Peeky #2:

IMG_1993.JPG

IMG_1999.JPG

IMG_2003.JPG

And why Mr. Baccatum... WHY??

IMG_1988.JPG

Thanks Alice! The Pimenta Roxa pods are looking even better now that they are getting bigger. Getting cooler now though, they are really moving very slowly.

Speaking of wilds, I do believe I promised you some wild shots!

I will have to rustle up some more later but I don't really have a heckuva lot to show. I haven't really been successful with most wild types. C. praetermissum apparently doesn't like pyrethrum, C. galapagoense apparently doesn't like being hit with a deluge of water from idiots in apartments above you (whodathunk??), C. tovarii doesn't like broad mite, C. rhomboideum keeps going through this strange cycle of dying and coming back to life, and C. lanceolatum... I am convinced is impossible to germinate!

C. chacoense though, those things are tough!

IMG_0982.JPG

IMG_1982.JPG

And another little sneaky peeky:

IMG_2012.JPG

Can't wait to see how those two turn out!
Still Jon they look good. Have heard the Wilds are difficult to grow, I was more amazed with pic of the Wilds Flowers than anything else lol. See that your Wild pic there in pots a bit straggly- is this their habit??

Really healthy looking seedlings you have there. I am also in Brisbane and have recently started my grow. Kinda hoping that having the plants out in the middle of the yard, with lots of sky, will make for extremely happy plants in spring. First big grow for me (I got 50 odd species started already) and first time ever starting chillies in autumn. I really dont know what to expect, do you normally start them this time of year?

I have never seen one of those red and black ladybugs before, must be the sports model.

I do have some small blowfly looking things however, that are resident around my plants and they absolutely anihilate any fungus gnats that are silly enough to fly anywhere near them. They dont even eat them, they just kill em for kicks I believe.

Back