• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Gassy's 2012/2013 Glog thingy

Well, Spring has arrived here in the Land of Oz and it's all starting to happen. I thought I would quit being a lazy bones and start a glog this season. Even though I'm so far behind where I had planned to be at this point, things are running along smoothly enough. I released some Neoseiulus californicus predator mites about a month ago to take care of my broad mite problem and so far, they are being amazing. A month later and I have yet to see any new signs of broad mite activity. It is still early days though and time will tell just how effective the little buggers are. And of course, I still have to get on top of the fruit fly problem (not looking forward to that one). With Spring here and new pods forming, the little bastages can't be too far around the corner. :(

A few piccies to get the show on the road. Not gonna backtrack or anything now... just some random shots of some of what's going on.

Rooster Spur - putting out first pods:

IMG_8018.JPG

Aji Amarillo x Yellow Trinidad Scorpion F2's:

IMG_8039.JPG

Naga Jolokia Purple x Hot Summer F1:

IMG_8051.JPG

Naga Jolokia Purple x Hot Summer F1:

IMG_8035.JPG

No chemicals in use here anymore - ladybug and lacewing eggs: :cool:

IMG_8005.JPG

Overwinters...

NOT Dorset Naga - coming into third year:

IMG_8002.JPG

Trinidad Scorpion ButchT - coming into third year:

IMG_8043.JPG

CGN 21500 - coming into second year:

IMG_8032.JPG

CGN 21566 - coming into second year:

IMG_8046.JPG

Pimenta da Neyde - coming into second year:

IMG_8029.JPG

Thanks for looking! :dance:

Things moving slowly here now that it's getting coolish. That's OK though... it allows me to work my plants around everything else I gotta do rather than everything else around my plants!

IMG_2164.JPG

IMG_2175.JPG

IMG_2179.JPG

IMG_2169.JPG

IMG_2173.JPG

stickman said:
Alright Gassy! Nice to see you're already started on next year's effort. Good luck with your new grow. Are you going to OW any of this year's?

Actually, I've only kept a handful to OW this year. Mainly Chinenses. Bhut Jolokia, Bhut Choc, Spanish Naga, TS Moruga, Scotch Bonnet TFM, Snow White, Limon... and a couple others. Oh and Butchie, of course! He will be going into his fourth year. :D

Trippa said:
Looking good gassy ... started very early I see ... I am thinking of growing the spanish Naga from the seeds you sent me .... Do you recommend (seeing as I am only growing 10 plants) ??

Yup... getting a head start on them dirty fruit fly! ;)

The Spanish Naga... umm... hard one to answer. The plant itself is a great producer. It just kept putting out pods for me all season long--no breaks. Even now going in to the "cool" season, it is still flowering and putting out new pods for me (even just yesterday spotted a couple new ones! :D). That being said though, I'm not so sure how much it would like being in a pot... I get the feeling it would complain a bit but I reckon it would still be determined to get down to business. I actually dug mine up a few months ago and it is now sitting in a pot, and yeah, it doesn't exactly look happy... but maybe more unhappy than it would be because it is accustomed to being in the ground and wasn't raised in a pot?? But yeah, like I said, it's still putting out so it can't be too upset with it's new home!

Heat-wise, I would probably put them on the lower end of the superhot heat scale. Not necessarily a bad thing... especially if you are looking for a more comfortable ripper of a burn (does that even make sense? "comfortable" and "ripper burn"?? :lol:). Taste-wise, not bad either. Fruity-ish and slightly sweet. *Personally* I much prefer Bhuts... but deffo not bad!

Trippa said:
You are not exactly selling it to me gassy ;) maybe I will go with the bhut jolokia Assam again?

Haha. Seriously though, don't get me wrong, it's a great plant and not a bad pod at all... I just have more of a taste for Bhuts is all (that's just me). ;) But yeah, the plant itself does seem to like a bit of leg room... something you deffo have to take into consideration when growing in pots. Again though, that might just be because my plant was raised in the ground... I dunno! All that freedom being taken away.... I'd be pissed too!

I'm still not selling it, am I? :lol:

In summary, I reckon it would deffo be worthwhile growing if you are a big Naga fan.... if not, maybe consider something else. ;)

I see some variegation on that hot fish purple flash! That's awesome to see in F1 status. Would that mean it's a dominant trait then? I wouldn't think it would be, so that's really cool.
Love the all purple-ness there. I also love when you get the two different greens between the cotyledons and true leaves like on the baby goats!
Congrats on buddage already!

Hi Gassy
   Babies and juveniles are looking great! How many of the plants you've started this year are crosses?

Amazing to see the productivity is continuing into the fall/winter.  That is just awesome.  Your crosses look great.  So freakin cool. 

Oh, I just noticed this... is this the Pimenta Morango (Strawberry Pepper) I sent you?  If so, this is a really fun pepper to grow.

post-2730-0-43514700-1370245217.jpg

Back