• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Gassy's 2012/2013 Glog thingy

Well, Spring has arrived here in the Land of Oz and it's all starting to happen. I thought I would quit being a lazy bones and start a glog this season. Even though I'm so far behind where I had planned to be at this point, things are running along smoothly enough. I released some Neoseiulus californicus predator mites about a month ago to take care of my broad mite problem and so far, they are being amazing. A month later and I have yet to see any new signs of broad mite activity. It is still early days though and time will tell just how effective the little buggers are. And of course, I still have to get on top of the fruit fly problem (not looking forward to that one). With Spring here and new pods forming, the little bastages can't be too far around the corner. :(

A few piccies to get the show on the road. Not gonna backtrack or anything now... just some random shots of some of what's going on.

Rooster Spur - putting out first pods:

IMG_8018.JPG

Aji Amarillo x Yellow Trinidad Scorpion F2's:

IMG_8039.JPG

Naga Jolokia Purple x Hot Summer F1:

IMG_8051.JPG

Naga Jolokia Purple x Hot Summer F1:

IMG_8035.JPG

No chemicals in use here anymore - ladybug and lacewing eggs: :cool:

IMG_8005.JPG

Overwinters...

NOT Dorset Naga - coming into third year:

IMG_8002.JPG

Trinidad Scorpion ButchT - coming into third year:

IMG_8043.JPG

CGN 21500 - coming into second year:

IMG_8032.JPG

CGN 21566 - coming into second year:

IMG_8046.JPG

Pimenta da Neyde - coming into second year:

IMG_8029.JPG

Thanks for looking! :dance:

¡Gracias amigo!

I think you might have me mistaken for someone else regarding the melons. While I would love to be able to grow some melons, the chillies take precedence over the grow space I have. ;)

But you know what... you have me thinking. I'm so gonna grow a smaller vined melon like a rockmelon soon! I used to love growing vines when I was a chico.

My Hot Fish itself didn't actually break out in variegation right away so I think there's still hope for the F1. Of course, I do hope the F2's do too!
Sorry about that Gassy, I figured out that it was lavatung with the melons. Another southern hemisphere brother who is missing in action. Glad to see you back though! I only made it thru winter living off everyones glogs down there! Hopefully we can do the same for you guys!

Well... excellent crosses. You did make some good choices there! Don't go disappearing for too long, I planning on keeping an eye out for their progress.
Hopefully i inspired a melow grow on the side. ;)

Still Jon they look good. Have heard the Wilds are difficult to grow, I was more amazed with pic of the Wilds Flowers than anything else lol. See that your Wild pic there in pots a bit straggly- is this their habit??

Alice, the C. chacoense "Most Prolific" is very straggly! I have never seen anything like it in a chilli plant. CAP 501 is somewhat straggly too but nothing like the "Most Prolific". It has a fair bit more structure to it. It really is a very interesting species though and I love that it's so hardy! In particular, while the species appears to be a broad mite magnet, both of my plants just power on seemingly unfazed by the toxin pumping through them. A quality all chilli species should take note on! ;)

I'm trying to find close-up shots of the plants for you but so far not doing too well finding anything that isn't either terribly unfocused or that doesn't have a lot of background noise. My camera really has a hard time focusing on the straggliness! Nonetheless, I will keep looking....

In the meantime, I did find some other shots you might be interested in:

IMG_8926.JPG

IMG_8928.JPG

C. rhomboideum. Unfortunately I have yet to see fruit from this one though. :(

Really healthy looking seedlings you have there. I am also in Brisbane and have recently started my grow. Kinda hoping that having the plants out in the middle of the yard, with lots of sky, will make for extremely happy plants in spring. First big grow for me (I got 50 odd species started already) and first time ever starting chillies in autumn. I really dont know what to expect, do you normally start them this time of year?

I have never seen one of those red and black ladybugs before, must be the sports model.

I do have some small blowfly looking things however, that are resident around my plants and they absolutely anihilate any fungus gnats that are silly enough to fly anywhere near them. They dont even eat them, they just kill em for kicks I believe.

Cheers, mate!

Autumn/winter here is great for starting your babies. :D The sun during our "cool season" is not too hot and the temps during the day are not too cool... and chillies just love being out there in it! From the second my seeds pop, it's straight out there. Of course, while I happily leave my more mature plants outside at night, I wouldn't be comfortable leaving my babies out there. It's always back inside at night and under the grow light for that extra boost.

I usually start around the beginning of winter (June) but decided to go a little earlier this year. I am sick and tired of the mid-spring/summer onslaught of pests and want the biggest headstart I can get. ;)

Autumn is also usually the time I like to have that little break from growing... but I even got in and did that one early too. Culled most of last season's plants about a month before the end of summer.

Your plants will love the full sun early-mid spring! As it sounds like you have grown before though, I don't think I have to warn you about our brutal summer sun? ;) Are you growing in pots or in the ground? Might not have to mention this also but plants in the ground are far more forgiving when it comes to our summer sun.

Sorry about that Gassy, I figured out that it was lavatung with the melons. Another southern hemisphere brother who is missing in action. Glad to see you back though! I only made it thru winter living off everyones glogs down there! Hopefully we can do the same for you guys!

Well... excellent crosses. You did make some good choices there! Don't go disappearing for too long, I planning on keeping an eye out for their progress.
Hopefully i inspired a melow grow on the side. ;)

Come to think of it, where is Lavatung? I've noticed some of us Aussies have a bad habit of going MIA toward the end of the season. Strange phenomenon? Or is it just a case of most of us becoming a little broken down by the evil pests here and needing a little regrouping time in order to rise with a new fervour in destroying the dirty bastages....??

When we are not busy devising plans of mass pest annihilation for our coming season, the red-hot pod pr0nz you lot present us with is mucho sustaining! ;)

Looking great gassy and welcome back. Loving the crosses. Best of luck with them. Check in with you soon.

Cheers Tripsbro!

I dunno about that Rhomb you have, oh mill has one covered with pods But ive only seen a pic... Not sure how current the pic is But it looks like a prolific plant... Im hoping one of these days Im able to get ahold of some pumpkin seeds for myself to grow... Will be lookin forward to seeing what you have in Store for us come ur spring...

I dunno about that Rhomb you have, oh mill has one covered with pods But ive only seen a pic... Not sure how current the pic is But it looks like a prolific plant... Im hoping one of these days Im able to get ahold of some pumpkin seeds for myself to grow... Will be lookin forward to seeing what you have in Store for us come ur spring...

Whoops, that's right... it's already been determined that what I am growing is actually not a Rhomb at all... but rather a pumpkin. ;)

I don't know if it is the problem or not but mine doesn't seem to like our intense sun here. Or maybe more to the root cause, it might help if I gave it some new soil. It has been sitting in the same soil since it was started and I have done little in the way to keep it nourished. Whatever the case, it had better do something by the end of next season or it's going in the compost heap! I will give it some fresh soil and see what happens.

As it is now, the thing might as well be dead. It is literally a few sticks pointing up out of the pot! I think it's just playing though... it has done it twice to me before and sprang back both times. Maybe a cry for attention...? Give me new soil or I'll do it for real!

If it does ever decide to produce for me, I will be more than happy to send you some seeds. :) Just don't hold your breath or anything.... ;)

I do have some small blowfly looking things however, that are resident around my plants and they absolutely anihilate any fungus gnats that are silly enough to fly anywhere near them. They dont even eat them, they just kill em for kicks I believe.

How did I miss this?? Blowflybros! Badass! I have had some blowfly looking things arrive on the scene here but I think they might be just blowflies. I have never observed them to see what they do but might be time to start stalking them and see....

Thanks Gassy... I will be praying to the pepper gods for your pumpkin to pull thru and produce some poddage...

Ive got one growing right now, kinda started it alil late But its making progress... Whats the flower look like on your C. Chacoense? Believe its an all white flower right...

Ive got one growing right now, kinda started it alil late But its making progress... Whats the flower look like on your C. Chacoense? Believe its an all white flower right...

Yup, all white. Tiny little white flowers.

What variety are you growing?

I was just going through my seeds before and found some I have labeled as "C. chacoense unknown" that I never grew. Might have to change that! I will be bummed if they turn out to be one of the ones I am already growing....

Ok went out and took a pic and got it uploaded to PB... Started a bunch of seeds around the first of march just to spread the heat.... Most prolific next to a Piquin plant...

IMAG0685_zps9de74517.jpg

yes it is, going from the grow table or room to a full blown pepper making tree... Love the pics Jonny... kinda gives me an idea of how my plant is going to look like..

http://www.hydronati...s/About-Us.html

Right near you gas and they are open near me now as well. I was actually checking out their cheaper (compared with the rocketpots/airpots available here) air type pots http://www.hydronati...ettato-Pot.html not sure how they go but I think I might get some.

Hang on... I know that place... that's where I got my heat mat. ;)

It's been a few years since I've been there but I've actually been meaning to return for a looksy and see what goodies they have now.

Air pots would be cool (beat the heck outta normal plastic pots anyway!) but I wanna try grow bags this season. I saw some going for really cheap somewhere but stupid me forgot where now. Might have been an el cheapo shop.

Liquid guano: http://www.hydronati...ient,-1ltr.html Hmmm.... a bit pricey but I'm actually keen to give it a burl. :think:

And this stuff sounds alright: http://www.hydronati...rra-50ltrs.html but @ $40.00 a pop... ouch! (I guess it is 50L too... but still!).

Good to know they stock perlite and premium coir too.

I need to move back somewhere warm. Peppers all year... ah...if only

Ha, Guru! Would you like the increase of pests that comes with it too? And the murderous summer sun....? :P

Nah, it is good... but yeah, it does come with a price. ;)

Yeah that Super grow I have been tempted with before

Super Grow is NPK 10:10:1 and Super Bloom is 1:9:1 According to the sources I can find so far

Back