• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

GeorgeJ's 2014 Tokyo-a-grow-grow - Podding Up Like Crazy!

Got my first lot of seeds in last night.

7 pot yellow, burgundy, orange, red. 7 pot chaguanas, maya red habanero, jays peach ghost scorpion.
opEkohL.jpg

Planning to add more later.

Started potting up a few of them.

Came out of cups nice and clean.
33aP9Qo.jpg

These polyethylene pockets are infinitely easier than using bigger cups. No transplant shock, easy to pack the soil in. Definitely a good move!
fuafROK.jpg

Gonna finish the rest this weekend!

Finished potting up into black polyethylene pockets.
eomvmth.jpg

Found a few aphids on my seedlings the other day (f#@k!).picked them all off using sellotape. Then trying to work out where they came from I saw one crawl across the table. Turns out my thyme plants were crawling with them. Hard to notice on a plant like thyme.

Moved the thyme outside and sprayed it down. Hoping they leave my seedlings alone, but probably they will be back (they always are!)

Cheers Rick.

I spot checked half a dozen plants last night, currently aphid free. Gonna keep checking and removing them as necessary. Hoping that removing the thyme will help!

Looking good George! Nice spotting those buggers before they wreaked havoc on ya.

Are you leaving your plants outside yet? I have been keeping mine under a row cover (using chicken wire) in an area with partial shade. Seem to be doing good.

Not yet. They've not been in sunlight long yet, not sure how long this warm weather is here for either!

April should be safe. That wind today would have torn them apart. Side of my apartment is rather exposed.
Made some chilli for dinner tonight. Used one of the yellow morugas Judy at pepperlover.com sent as a Freeby.
QcBNeeU.jpg

Plenty hot (I love it nuclear) but not overwhelming for me. Good level and that fruity Moruga flavour carried through to an extent.
lp8qHC1.jpg

Here's how things look today.
QzY0ba7.jpg

Weather has been beautiful the last few days. Sunny with temps in the teens.

Another sign that spring is here (taken from my doorway)
ql0a8L7.jpg

I've just given my plants some cal and Epsom as well as some more seaweed fert.

Very nice! Our Sakura tree also bloomed this weekend, although many of the blossoms were blown away by that crazy windy day Friday.

Your babies look great! Can I ask where you got you Cal and Epsom salts?

Epsom salts on Rakuten. Sadly the smallest I could find was 2kg. Amazon jp also has Epsom.

Calcium is from Amazon too. But I think it's cheaper on 'joyful honda'. On Amazon it's an independent seller, so don't expect shipping to be bundled (it cost me 600yen in shipping!) nice seller though, they sent me a bunch of samples that I don't know how to use..

Here's the calcium:
vM9KKTk.jpg

Very cool, thanks for the leads!

Don't you just wish we could get the stuff every one else uses at the same price? LOL. Makes every thing so much easier.

The other day I found the much touted ProMix BX for 13000 on Rakuten

That calcium is pretty cheap actually. I was gonna import calmag, but thought it's a bit of a waste when I still have so much Epsom salts!
Luckily a buddy i met from here mailed me on Facebook and said he was getting good results with this calcium liquid. So I just mix with Epsom salts voila - calmag!

Very nice. I guess that means I could technically import some CalMag instead of buying two separate things ey. Although I suppose it may actually be cheaper to do it your way, no?

Oh, speaking of which. If you are in the market for rock dust, I found Azomite on Rakuten awhile back and finally purchased some recently. It definitely is more expensive than what you would pay for in say the US or Europe, but it is the only rock dust I have been able to find in Japan so will have to make do with it.

I think it's cheaper to get in Japan. There's an online hydro shop in Japan selling calimagic. Not so cheap though.
It's more because I already had close to 2kg of Epsom salts already.

I've not seen azomite either. I had to check, I have seen zeolite, but they aren't the same thing

Yeah azomite is the only rock dust I have found. Wish it was cheaper. I will definitely be stocking up on hard to get items this summer when I head back to the US for a visit.

Looking beautifully green and perky after their first cal mag foliar feed.
VfCdIe1.jpg

Here's one of the gochu I'm growing for my mate.
0RrIqFv.jpg

And the brown 7 pot over winter is enjoying this warmer weather.
ljTTkqC.jpg

I wanna get some more individual photos this weekend. Plants are looking beautiful in the sunlight!
Still keeping on top of the aphids. Only finding one or two every few days.

awesome! still need to pick up the ingredients for that. plants are looking fantastic! love that beautiful rich green :-)

Here's how the bench looks today.
oiMl7Ok.jpg

Yellow 7 pot is winning with size
vxYGYu0.jpg

7 pot orange
WJ1aK0d.jpg

Primo has some enormous leaves!
0o6y4HS.jpg

Brown Moruga
ZSEZz8Q.jpg

Gochu is looking good! It's growing some lower leaves and trying to put out flowers today
9YjOvT2.jpg

Weather has been windy but sunny today. Plenty of sunlight recently.

Back