• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Getting Fit!

I need to get another bench and some free weights. I sold mine several years ago after snapping my biceps tendon (ouch!). All I have left is two 50# dumbells. I do what I can with them (curls, shoulder press, triceps, shrugs, bench press while laying on my coffee table, squats, etc..). It's better than nothing, but I need to step it up again. I'm not really a gym kinda guy...

Rawkstah said:
I got hit by a car last thursday riding my bike here in Chicago.  Pretty much every time I get on my bike there is a close call.  I've almost been doored a number of times, cars decided to pull into the bike lane to stop and let someone out or pick someone up, or they make right turns while you're riding along side of them, you get pushed off the road, etc.  Then there are people who are just A-holes, I've had cigarette butts thrown at me, a dude spit out the window, and another guy just walk right in front of me and stand there and scream.  I get where BigB is coming from.  I have to be hyper aware of everything around me when I ride my bike. my hands never leave my brakes, and I have flashing lights on the back and the front for riding at night, a reflective white helmet, and I try to remember to bring a white jacket too.  

this is why it sucks to bike. who wants to die while trying to get healthy / enjoy a ride. BTW RAWK! i thought of you, and bought soyrizo. just thought you should know 

Just got home from class and my workout tonight.  We worked some fun stuff tonight, handstand pushups, one legged squats, box jumps, superman/plyo pushups, and back flips. Sounds a lot cooler that it is, we have to work our way up to doing all this stuff proper, but I can almost get a full handstand push up done unassisted, I can do 30" box jumps, I need to work my balance a bit for the squats, the superman push ups aren't very hard for me,  but my back flips i'm still hesitant on because when I was a kid I landed wrong doing them and haven't quite gotten over that holy shit I could have been paralyzed fear.  I also worked my handstand on the climbing ropes... kinda like how they do the handstands on the rings in gymnastics but i do it holding on to 2 climbing ropes because that's what's available. I love workouts like this, they're fun and challenging for me. 

Rawkstah said:
Just got home from class and my workout tonight.  We worked some fun stuff tonight, handstand pushups, one legged squats, box jumps, superman/plyo pushups, and back flips. Sounds a lot cooler that it is, we have to work our way up to doing all this stuff proper, but I can almost get a full handstand push up done unassisted, I can do 30" box jumps, I need to work my balance a bit for the squats, the superman push ups aren't very hard for me,  but my back flips i'm still hesitant on because when I was a kid I landed wrong doing them and haven't quite gotten over that holy shit I could have been paralyzed fear.  I also worked my handstand on the climbing ropes... kinda like how they do the handstands on the rings in gymnastics but i do it holding on to 2 climbing ropes because that's what's available. I love workouts like this, they're fun and challenging for me. 

Showoff... ;)

sicman said:
Word up! Thats awesome your moms will be walking/jogging with ya.  So are you joining the 15# club? 15 pounds before september 15th.

You know it! :cool:

Anyone could do it you just gotta work towards it.  I never thought I'd be able to do much of this a year ago, especially after the back problems I've dealt with in the past few years.  I always had a strong core and strong lower body, but my upper body has always been so weak, so I focus much more on pull ups and push ups now, in addition to strengthening my back/core.  Putting up a pull up bar in one of the doorways in my apartment makes me jump up there every time I walk through  the doorway whether I do a couple pull ups, or some ab work, or just hang there, its something.  

And its not like we're all doing all this stuff in my class, we are all really working towards it, together, every week.  There's only one guy that I train with that can actually do an unassisted back flip.  They're just silly exercises that give you a fun goal to work up to all while strengthening along the way.

Seriously a year ago I couldn't even do a full overhand grip pull up. 

Rawkstah said:
 Putting up a pull up bar in one of the doorways in my apartment makes me jump up there every time I walk through  the doorway whether I do a couple pull ups, or some ab work, or just hang there, its something.  

That's exactly why I want to buy a bench and some free weights. If it's there, I will use it. I keep my dumbells in the middle of our living room unless guests are coming over. They are right there staring at me all the time, so I pick them up and bust out a couple sets of whatever every day. I don't think my wife will let me keep a bench there though. Lol

yep. we have weights next to the couch, a yoga mat in the corner to roll out for push ups/ab work/stretching, pull up bar in the doorway of the other room, on another door I have a door anchor thing with resistance band there so I can do chest press or lat pull downs, I keep grip strength things on the coffee table for when i'm watching tv... and boxing mitts wander around the apartment too, I'll throw one on and just yell PUNCH! to keep everyone on their toes. :D 

Good morning. Looks like you got something rolling here Sic.

Good luck to you all. Stay positive. Sometimes it takes a week of routine excercise and healthy eating choices before you start actually losing weight. I think it's your metabolism re thinking things. Stay hydrated and have fun today.

Down 1 pound. 233

Started at 216 yesterday, woke up at 6am and played some basketball with this colombian girl i know. She's stands at 5`2 and i'm 6`6 so you think there would be an advantage but she still won haha....I went easy on the blocking. Was lucky to meet a pro euro player and we played around a little. As of this morning, i'm 213 but i'm sure it's mostly water weight. Ate a healthy soyrizo, onion, and tofu "egg" scramble. Finished it off with some powder and daiya vegan cheese under the broiler. I cheated early though haha. I had a whole bunch of mangos that my colombian friend gave me and i've been dehydrating them, but I had to make a mango key lime pie yesterday. It set overnight, but i had a tiny 2"x2" slice. Delicious!

One thing i want to tell you all, DRINK YOR FRIGGIN WATER! Aim for a gallon a day. We eat a lot more salt than we realize a lot of the time and not drink enough water. I've been refilling a gallon jug and aim to drink the whole thing every day

OCD Chilehead said:
Sometimes it takes a week of routine excercise and healthy eating choices before you start actually losing weight. I think it's your metabolism re thinking things. Stay hydrated and have fun today.

Down 1 pound. 233

Very nice, keep it up. They say 21 days of doing an activity continuously makes a habit!

Hell yeah! It's a awesome day yo. Changed my brake pads and my spark plugs. All before 9. It's time to get this day going and feel alive. Going swimming, shopping and we shall see what adventures the day gives. Keep it real and have fun.

230 even this morning. Down 4. 11 to go.

Does dancing count as a workout? I went out last night with my old college roomie and my best frie d and danced from about 9-1. I was a disgusting sweaty mess afterward and woke up kinda sore (that could have been from my work out and run earlier in the day though). Either way, martial arts class was rough today on sore muscles and slight hangover.

Not going to weigh in today. It's like watching paint dry sometimes. Working out in the yard this morning. Trimming trees cleaning the garage and going to the landfill. That's my way of relaxing. Hope you all had a safe and fun weekend.

Back