beer =[ GM's 1st 16x Batches, and/or 10 mo. Brewing ]=

RocketMan said:
aggggg I read it, I read it and my eyes are burning!

A few nights ago, an opossum ate the shit out of bone meal from the bag ...

This morning our boston terrier ate the oppossum scat and has vomited 7 times since yesterday afternoon ...

It's kind of got me in an odd mood, to say the least ...

I think some folks think I'm always running around turned up to 11, and sadly truth is that I'm always behaving myself and trying to keep myself around 4 ...

I'm what happens if you don't smack your kid.

Even if you forget to make a starter, rehydrating dry yeast in the wort as opposed to in water cuts the effective pitching rate in half ...

http://seanterrill.com/2011/04/01/dry-yeast-viability/

Other experiments show that using an airlock impedes the count, and that an aluminum foil lid and aquarium stone is the best case apparatus, and probably better than a stir-plate ...

I pitched the dry packets of whatever yeast was in the kits into the fermenters and shook the shit out of them, but it's now abundantly clear that Brooklyn Brew Shop is sending you in the wrong direction by not having you make a starter, and then doubling down on the stupid by having you pitch to wort instead of waking the yeast up in water ...

Interesting stuff ...

Oh, and this guy who's wicked smart ( http://seanterrill.com/bio-and-resume/) seems to indicate elsewhere that the whole CO2 pushes the O2 out of the fermenter wisdom doesn't really model the scenario very well, that there's constant gas diffusion, which is why the tin foil works better as a starter cover than the foam inserts, and especially airlocks ...

Data, nice and dry, just how I like it!

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-11-10starterexp.mp3

grantmichaels said:
I just verified the efficacy of the Super Jiggler ...

http://www.superjiggler.com/

This thing is slicker than Crisco in a fleshlight ...

Gardener's could leverage this as well, if for nothing other than moving rainwater ...

Good-bye auto-siphon, hardly knew ye ....
I confess to being afraid to click the link  :shocked:
RocketMan said:
aggggg I read it, I read it and my eyes are burning!
This is confirming my fears… 

Ramble warning, this is an explanation for RM following discourse in the Ask Wheebz thread ...

I think you make a good point, and that would be spot on advice if I wanted to enter competitions and/or brew great beer to drink, primarily. I started out thinking that I would do that ...

In fact, it's more interesting to me to tinker w/ creating an additional income stream that I own that's related to beer by blogging about brewing beer, or creating an app for people who brew beer, or a website related to it etc - than it would be to try to do similar by actually selling beer that I've brewed.

I'm getting into brewing explicitly to try to pass on what I learn, to teach it, and not really to practice it at any sense of scale, really ...

I think your advice is sage, and certainly I've learned that lesson in other areas ... All we really need is C and Lisp, but billions of dollars flow around the selection of programming languages, paradigms, and frameworks because people enjoy wacking off to choices and Capitalism is driven by taking risks and gambling on it. Possibly tapping into what I perceive to be a future boom/bubble, is as appealing to me as drinking beer ...

So, in my brewing beer, I'm looking for things that are interesting and different from what's out there - experiments that people would be interested in following on the Internet, if you will ...

I think that's as much about managing hype and executing magic from what I've seen elsewhere on the net, I'm afraid ...

There's other stuff you've seen where I've setup space to discuss self-promotion, DIY ecommerce, product photography, SEO, and branding - things which are of interest to me, especially going forward.

So, yes, I totally agree with you. If you primarily want to make great beer, you should execute recipes of high integrity, precisely. You should read Designing Great Beers, Brewing Classic Styles, and maybe some Bamforth ...

I'm reading Experimental Homebrewing, Radical Homebrewing, Farmhouse Ales, and The Chemisty of Beer ... and haven't opened How to Brew yet, LOL ...

Now you should grok why I love your thread, and HTH's ... they are awesome, and it's where I get to see everything that I'm not doing =)

Hopefully that helps anyone understand why I do what I do ...

I'm sitting on a mountain of content few could imagine. I have so many photodocumented projects that I could blog for years without having to run a single experiment - and believe me, if the construction market grinds to a halt in some months when the politicians set off on the campaign trails and start bashing each other and the economy - that's exactly what I'll be doing ... blogging all this content!

I followed Wheebz direction over to St Somewhere, and I'll be doing an open fermentation, flat bottom, low pressure farmhouse within the next week. Cheesecloth for an airlock after the early krausen falls ...

Look for future infected brews and oddball shit, because it's coming for sure =)

CHEERS!

grantmichaels said:

You need one of these ... not naughty, awesome!
I looked.   :P   Not sure I would fork out dollars for one.  gravity siphons are not rocket science.  Little brown pumps are cheap, easy to wire, and move your beer without oxidising the first three litres….  

http://www.barleyman.com.au/products/brewing-gear/little-brown-pump.html

I suggest you try a bunch of funky sours if you haven't, they are an acquired taste, but I style I love.  HOWEVER, you need completely separate brewing gear dedicated to use only for sours from fermentation onwards.  That includes fermenters, bottles, bottling gear and kegs, liquid transfer tubing, the lot.  The bacteria you add are dominant little things, truly the pit bulls of brewing, they will get in and own everything you brew if you don't follow this advice!! 

Bumper said:
I looked.   :P   Not sure I would fork out dollars for one.  gravity siphons are not rocket science.  Little brown pumps are cheap, easy to wire, and move your beer without oxidising the first three litres….  

http://www.barleyman.com.au/products/brewing-gear/little-brown-pump.html

I suggest you try a bunch of funky sours if you haven't, they are an acquired taste, but I style I love.  HOWEVER, you need completely separate brewing gear dedicated to use only for sours from fermentation onwards.  That includes fermenters, bottles, bottling gear and kegs, liquid transfer tubing, the lot.  The bacteria you add are dominant little things, truly the pit bulls of brewing, they will get in and own everything you brew if you don't follow this advice!! 

Totally, like a Super Jiggler and a silicone tube that's good to 500F and some HDPE cube's?

LOL, we're on the *EXACT* same page, my friend =)  That's precisely what that stuff's for.

I learned about the risks of dealing w/ brett etc from the infected batch of CC Bolilta Brown I held on to for 5 years. They brewed it following a batch w/ brett and it got infected - I kept my bottles for five years to see what would happen. I drank one of them and loved it, but the other was too much.

One of my mates has an 80L oak cask, drawing out 20L at a time, blending old and new every 6 months.  That is the very best way of doing it if you have the space and a constant cool temp spot like a cellar under the house.  The blends IMHO are the very best way to go.  He does a 50/50 into a new fermenter and then adds the fruit to that, and keeps the gueuze ticking over in the cask.  Liquid heaven.

Either tonight, or tomorrow morning, I'll brew a 2-2.5 gal batch using wyeast 3724 for the 1st time.

I'm about to hit to grocery store (need ice bags), actually ...

I'd really like to brew 4-5 gallons this weekend, so we'll see ... everything's empty.

Bumper said:
One of my mates has an 80L oak cask, drawing out 20L at a time, blending old and new every 6 months.  That is the very best way of doing it if you have the space and a constant cool temp spot like a cellar under the house.  The blends IMHO are the very best way to go.  He does a 50/50 into a new fermenter and then adds the fruit to that, and keeps the gueuze ticking over in the cask.  Liquid heaven.

and thats what the best brewers in the world do when it comes to sours

such a great fucking practice
I am now starting that with my kettle soured wort program in my house

cant do it at my current place of employment because fuck them, but a lot of my really good friends in the brewing industry keep constant sour worts to blend in to new batches and it works amazing

ive been doing kettle sours and sour worts for quite a while, but blending is relatively new to me, so im deffinitely all about it 

I took your advice, and I'm doing it ...

I emailed St Somewhere to find out where I'd find the most stuff on tap in the area, and mentioned that you'd recommended I try everything they do since I was getting into the style ...

Bob S. emailed me back, and had this to say:

Farmhouse ales are all about the yeast. The easier you are in whatever yeast strain you go with the better. That means a flat or near flat bottom. (Gives the max. surface area.)
Open top. Doesn't necessarily mean open to the environment but doing your best to limit the amount of pressure in the fermenter. 
Straight sides. Gives you the best convection during fermentation. 
A carboy will work if you replace the airlock with cheesecloth after the krausen drops. 5gallon plastic bucket and lid from Home Depot also works well. You'll need to figure out a hole for an airlock.

Like a good student, I'm going to open ferment a batch.

It's on.

Thanks, Wheebz!

fucking bob

such a cool dude answers emails directly even though his beer is distributed throughout a shitload of states and is a big name is saison/farmhouse varieties

dont do a completely open to air ferment unless you seriously pitch a significant amount of yeast, because you will get other things working there too

Bob actually sprayed his entire brewery in brett and his own lacto bacteria before he started so it was completely dominant for open fermentations

he is an inspiration to me 100 percent of every day, fucking 50 or so years old, super laid back, just makes whatever he feels like, and does it in a damn garage, and is one of the most recognizable names in farmhouse ales in the industry 
BTW, drinking an Oud Beersel Kriek from 2012

jesus christ almighty this is my favorite cherry beer ever, and has been since i first tasted it 7 years ago, and quite possibly one of my favorite sours of all time

wheebz said:
f**king bob

such a cool dude answers emails directly even though his beer is distributed throughout a shitload of states and is a big name is saison/farmhouse varieties

dont do a completely open to air ferment unless you seriously pitch a significant amount of yeast, because you will get other things working there too

Bob actually sprayed his entire brewery in brett and his own lacto bacteria before he started so it was completely dominant for open fermentations

he is an inspiration to me 100 percent of every day, f**king 50 or so years old, super laid back, just makes whatever he feels like, and does it in a damn garage, and is one of the most recognizable names in farmhouse ales in the industry 

jesus christ almighty this is my favorite cherry beer ever, and has been since i first tasted it 7 years ago, and quite possibly one of my favorite sours of all time

I'll be forwarding you the whole email, he sent you a note that I enjoyed, but didn't post here ;) ...
wheebz said:
f**king bob

yeah ... everything that rides in on all the dander or me, danielle, two kitteh, and 3x dogs ... and whatever else.

but you know what - let's see what my house grows, that sounds fun ...
maybe he thought, "wheebz sent me a noob, huh - well then let's let wheebz troubleshoot some spontaneous fermentation w/ said noob" and had a good chuckle ...
FreeportBum said:
when my hops are ready here if your still into this I will send a couple varieties to play around with. 

come play, damn it.

So I grilled a 2lb+ ribeye today that I frenched aka cowboy cut and took a few pics of it with some home brew and hops plants man just for you...lol When I get a minute I'll post a pic...

Oh yeah! Good shit ...

I decided to do my work, work tonight, and then I'll have all day tomorrow to brew  ...

I need to make a batch or two of sterile starter jars in the pressure canner, so I can pitch to them and plop shit on the stir plate in advance of brew days ...

I have a very small immersion chiller and pond pump setup coming ( http://jadedbrewing.com/products/the-chinchilla&& http://jadedbrewing.com/products/the-general-lee-add-on-kit-hot-groundwater-package ) next week, which will fit in the small 8 qt SS pots I use for doing 4qt, 5qt, up to like 10-12qt batches, but which will also be used as a pre-chiller for a pump-assisted setup for larger 5 or 6 gallon batches using either a recirculation or plate chiller ... I'll ise the immersion chiller by placing it in a deer park container w/ ice water, and running recirculated through it and either or a plate or recirc chiller ...

For now, I'm just going to make beers w/ the yeasts that I can ferment at indoor temps (72-74F) or which instead take some heat (fermwrap etc) during fermentation, so that I don't have to make decisions in terms of cellaring and/or cold fermentation (in Florida) before I've even brewed a bunch of beer ... it's freedom in constraint, now I know what I need to do, a keezer build ...

So yeah ... I'm stoked ... I'll brew up these 2 gal kits and get em done and out, and then afterwards I'll see what I want to do for 5 gal batches ...

Let's see some BEER ...

Post. Some. Beer.

Main beer.

Up where it's green and cool and you don't have to brew farmhouse ...

You can probably lager on your porch half the year, or something like that - dope ;)
wheebz said:
f**king bob

he is an inspiration to me 100 percent of every day, f**king 50 or so years old, super laid back, just makes whatever he feels like, and does it in a damn garage, and is one of the most recognizable names in farmhouse ales in the industry 

So, how much do you have cellared for personal consumption? =)

grantmichaels said:
Ramble warning, this is an explanation for RM following discourse in the Ask Wheebz thread ...

I think you make a good point, and that would be spot on advice if I wanted to enter competitions and/or brew great beer to drink, primarily. I started out thinking that I would do that ...

In fact, it's more interesting to me to tinker w/ creating an additional income stream that I own that's related to beer by blogging about brewing beer, or creating an app for people who brew beer, or a website related to it etc - than it would be to try to do similar by actually selling beer that I've brewed.

I'm getting into brewing explicitly to try to pass on what I learn, to teach it, and not really to practice it at any sense of scale, really ...

I think your advice is sage, and certainly I've learned that lesson in other areas ... All we really need is C and Lisp, but billions of dollars flow around the selection of programming languages, paradigms, and frameworks because people enjoy wacking off to choices and Capitalism is driven by taking risks and gambling on it. Possibly tapping into what I perceive to be a future boom/bubble, is as appealing to me as drinking beer ...

So, in my brewing beer, I'm looking for things that are interesting and different from what's out there - experiments that people would be interested in following on the Internet, if you will ...

I think that's as much about managing hype and executing magic from what I've seen elsewhere on the net, I'm afraid ...

There's other stuff you've seen where I've setup space to discuss self-promotion, DIY ecommerce, product photography, SEO, and branding - things which are of interest to me, especially going forward.

So, yes, I totally agree with you. If you primarily want to make great beer, you should execute recipes of high integrity, precisely. You should read Designing Great Beers, Brewing Classic Styles, and maybe some Bamforth ...

I'm reading Experimental Homebrewing, Radical Homebrewing, Farmhouse Ales, and The Chemisty of Beer ... and haven't opened How to Brew yet, LOL ...

Now you should grok why I love your thread, and HTH's ... they are awesome, and it's where I get to see everything that I'm not doing =)

Hopefully that helps anyone understand why I do what I do ...

I'm sitting on a mountain of content few could imagine. I have so many photodocumented projects that I could blog for years without having to run a single experiment - and believe me, if the construction market grinds to a halt in some months when the politicians set off on the campaign trails and start bashing each other and the economy - that's exactly what I'll be doing ... blogging all this content!

I followed Wheebz direction over to St Somewhere, and I'll be doing an open fermentation, flat bottom, low pressure farmhouse within the next week. Cheesecloth for an airlock after the early krausen falls ...

Look for future infected brews and oddball shit, because it's coming for sure =)

CHEERS!
Cool, and now I understand where your coming from and can't wait to see what your going to make!

Brew on bro

Back