beer =[ GM's 1st 16x Batches, and/or 10 mo. Brewing ]=

RocketMan said:
Cool, and now I understand where your coming from and can't wait to see what your going to make!

Brew on bro

In a perfect world, I execute and photograph (or video?) experiments and Danielle handles transcribing the steps, adding a little historical context (which I can't be bothered with), and posts it up ... maybe someday ;)

on pH ...

PH_and_temp_enzyme_matrix.jpg

keeping all of these tucked in my thread, for later use ...

Just drain-poured the last fermenter ... it was less bubbly today, and the FG was literally like 1028-1030 or so, still ...

Bu-bye ...

Now I'm genuinely empty.

I was going to brew today, but I had forgot to make the starter Monday ... and yesterday.

I'll make a starter tomorrow, and brew Friday afternoon, I think.

I'm planning to pitch ECY08 & ECY011 for the weekend following this one ...

Also added, 10 lbs of Pilsner, a second (cheaper) stir-plate, and added some UK Kent Golding's to what I already have on hand, for these upcoming warm fermentation experiments.

Once my immersion chiller and pond pump gear come today, I'll figure out what kind of connectors and barb tips and tubing I might still need, and then I just need to tap my existing 20qt kettle and install some weld-less spigotry ...

Mostly just going to want to get a PID-controlled chestie and a fermenter thermowell etc into the mix in the next couple of weeks, but otherwise I'm mostly setup, at least for the 2.5 gal batches ...

Killed myself working overnight all night's this week to be able to brew this weekend - hopefully 2-3x's ...

Got some emails out there for a little customization, but should be settling into a nice little recirculating-sparge style BIAB rig in the next weeks.

Planning to run a plate chiller using faucet water on the recirc pump, while using the immersion chiller w/ pump and ice water at the same time ...

Chilling estimated to be down to mere minutes for 2.5-3 gal batches, and the PID-controller and recirc-sparge should free me up from mash-in to mash-out, giving me back 90 mins to work ...

All in all, total intensive brew time reduced by like 2 hrs, making things more like 2.5 hrs of active brewing w/ some 20-30 minutes setup an hour earlier, and 20-30 minute clean up an hour later ...

Getting there ...

RocketMan said:
That's a very interesting looking chiller! Oh, and I think I've found my next DIY project thanks to those links you provided.

Guy's smart ...

Cleanable Recirc ...

http://jadedbrewing.com/products/the-jaded-cfc

The flow rate in GPH/GPM is important for recirc and plat chillers ... if you get a plate chiller w/ a shitload of plates, and don't have enough water pressure, the water moves very slowly across the plates, and that's not how you want it to work apparently ...

The way I see it, for the summer for sure, we NEED ice bath somewhere in the mix ...

I'm going w/ a recirculating eBIAB rig for 2-3 gal batches w/ a small, 24V, high-flow/high-heat pump that's akin to the Aussie's little brown pump ... the inlet back into the kettle should induce some degree of whirlpooling, and also keep the wort moving such that the chinchilla w/ recirculating ice-water should be able to knock down the temp in minutes ...

I bought that specific (smaller) IC, because I will end up using it as a pre-chiller for a large plate or recirc chiller later, for larger batches down the line ... it has a good shape/config in terms of the copper "winding" for a pre-chiller, I think ...

If I need or want to, I'll run a plate chiller or recirc chiller on the pump lines, plugged into the spigot or faucet, as well as recirc ice water through the chinchilla IC in the kettle ...

With a PID controlled eBIAB rig w/ recirc to hit and maintain mash temps, I'll buy back the first 90 mins of the process to work, and w/ overkill chilling, I'll steal back 30-45 mins off the end ...

For *me* ... given my work and time constraints, that's what I need ... 3 hr brew sessions for 2-3 gal batches ...

I figure to fill 9x or 10x 32oz swing-top's at the end of it all, nice and simply using the Beer Gun, and to have room for a decent number of brew for using 2.5 and 3 gal ball-lock's ...

I can get 5 gal batches if I want to be cutesy and do partial's, but I'm actually planning to use the two 5 gal corny's w/ the fermenter lids as handy light blocking primary's that are really easy to move liquids between etc ...

So, I'm alt-kegging ... I'm kegging for simplicity, but then going a step further to bottles using the Beer Gun, so I can just use my fridge to house the next couple of night's beers, and so that I can share my beer easily w/ people ...

That's the plan, anyways ...

I'm just going to do a bunch of room to heated ferm temp stuff for a while, chilled and no-chill for stuff that should work out OK that way ...

This weekend I'd like to burn through the end of my kits beers, so that that chapter is behind me ...

Not knowing the yeast, or the grains, is FFUUUU ...

CHEERS!

That JaDeD CFC looks really nice and super easy to clean. I'm looking for a hose adapter That I can use to run water through the 3/8" hose to rinse out the inner copper tubing on the one I built and then on brew day I'll run the no rinse sanitizer from my bottling bucket through it into my primary bucket to ensure its good to go.

I eventually want to get a couple of the 3 gallon kegs too. I'm eventually going to convert the chest freezer I have into the Keezer, it'll easily hold 4 of the 5 gallon kegs on the bottom and 2 3 gallon on the shelf over the compressor. My plan it to run 3 5 gallon beer to taps, 1 being a N/CO2 for Stouts a don the shelf one 3 gallon for Cider and one for White Wine which you can push with the N/CO2 and not carbonate it. I have to find another fermenter before Ican start the build.

Makes sense.

I've been having an interesting conversation with a guy out in BC and there will be an 1/10 horsepower compressor chiller for maintaining ferm temps in the near future ...

I was telling him how I was trying to figure out how to use my ice maker (mine has a compressor) to chill 1 gallon batches, and he let me know about his imminent product ...

I have ~2 hrs more work to go, and I'll have done my work for the entire weekend, including Sunday night's portion ...

Brewing weekend is very much "On" ... and these will be my last round of batches before settling into the eBIAB rig, I guess ...

Apples have been seasoning outside for the last couple of weeks, and are just perfect.  Full crush and press day tomorrow.  Would love to brew a beer instead, but the fresh apple cider is worth it.  

I don't never DIY ...

Cost of buying parts for filtration saved 2/3 of the money of buying the same crap from a homebrew shop ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431792610.286341.jpg

Thirty micron was a purposeful decision to allow yeast to pass through to the bottle ;)

I'm sure I'll need a five micron, too, or whatever ...

Found this from Wheebz journey ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431792665.821359.jpg

And I guess it's worth knowing this exists ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431792714.140706.jpg

I'll Google it later, someday ...

Back