• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

=[ GM's Far East, Indian, and Moroccan Heat ]=

I am on a mission to crawl cuisine from the Far East and I'd love to see what other people fix ...

I set my OCD loose on loose leaf tea, then microbrews, then single lot coffee, and then curry dishes, and now it's going to be food from the other side of the Pacific ...

For one, I love thai chili peppers and other peppers typical to that region ... I bought a number of types of chili pepper plants that I'm growing this summer to improve my experience w/ all of this ...

Also, I love wontons and dumplings ... it's a thing for me, I guess, so I thought I'd get some reference material and get started this weekend ...

There are a lot of salad dishes that I like from over yonder as well, and part of my motivation is to widen my skill set on making dressings from scratch and to have a lot of salad generally speaking ...

The other night I got started ...

There was some sesame ginger dressing on this one, not homemade, and not as good as sesame oil and sriracha either ...

I was also missing scallions ...

It was still good.

Tonight I wanted to improve upon my last effort.

It began w/ a test ...

Concept. Approved.

Ready the bits ...

I laid the ingredients out in nice lines, but you can't tell because i got all jiggy with the scallion shreds and sriracha =)

I'm really happy to begin my crawl of this type of cuisine ... please feel free to hijack the thread for a while if you want to rock out with your santoku out ...

Who knows ... maybe I'll learn to appreciate sashimi before it's done ...

Boss pointed me towards sone new-to-me wing style, pok pok ...

http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/eat-and-drink/recipes/articles/make-pok-poks-famous-wings-at-home-october-2013

https://www.tumblr.com/search/pok%20pok%20wings

I usually check whiteonricecouple.com, and they did not disappoint ...

http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/sticky-fish-sauce-chicken-wings/

and one more for good measure ...

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/allyoucaneat/2013/10/03/how-to-make-those-classic-pok-pok-wings-at-home/

I've been meaning to cook some wings, so I'll give it a go ...

Anyone's welcome to post some, though ...

Hell yeah!

I think there's only 2 Pok Pok's (or maybe more in Portland now) but we have one here! That's how I know about them plus seen them on Food Network.

Looking forward to your copycat. 

There's a line down the street for this place. They had to buy the building down the street as a waiting bar. 

Oh snap do it for the next wing challenge. Sticky wings.

Are you in?

I have been cooking wings since the mid-eighties and this is the first time I have ever heard of Pok Pok wings.  I am ashamed...

I will be cooking these soon.  Very soon.

LOL It's just the name of the restaurant no need to feel ashamed. They only took off recently.

I think we have the makings of a good Wing Awards. I shall post details soon.

I will make these Pok Pok wings along with my other sticky favorite Thai wings with Mae Ploy and wasabi sesame.  OR I could bring back CJ's favorite Asian X sauce.  I have never tried it with wings, but I am sure it would be good.

I also want to try making wings with that super red sticky sauce the Chinese restaurants use for boneless rib takeout.

Looking good!  I love those sweet peas (is that the correct word for those flat peas?) in stir fries. They also grow like crazy and actually improve your soil (they create nitrogen buds in your soil) if you can get your hands on it, plant some 'Carouby de Mausanne' sweet peas.. they are the best for stir fries.. They are quite sweet, strong flavour and crispy.

In the US there is a lot of vietnamese, chinese and thai influence.. but don't rule out indonesian and caribbean (surinam) food. Not necessarily far east.. but wel, if you fly east long enough you end up back home right?

Some nice dishes to try;

Roti.. - A wrap with chicken (with garam massala spices), madame jeanette pepper and beans (kouseband/katjan pandjang)
Babi Pangang - Roasted/fried pork in sweet/sour sauce
Babi Kecap (can be spelled dutch as Babi Ketjap) - A pork in thickened soy sauce stew with onions.
Sajoer - Spicy stir fried vegetables
Rendang - Spicy beef stew
Gado Gado - Spiced vegetables with peanut sauce
Rempah Goreng Pedis - Spicy pork meatballs

A great source for dishes is the Dutch navy cookbook, just run it through google translate and devide by factor 250 if you're only cooking for you and D.
http://www.kvmo.nl/pdf/indonesischkookboekselamatmakankoninklijkmarine1269977934.pdf

It also contains ~40 recipes to make different Sambal (indonesian chili paste - great for cooking and shelf stable!)

If the translating thing doesn't work out, just google the dishes. I bet there is an indonesian cook hidden somewhere on the english interwebs.

Sambal = spicy
babi = pork
ajam/ayam = chicken
Sajoer = cabbage
Pedis = shit your bowels out hot..

I thought you lived in Germany, but do you live the the Netherlands? I know a lot of that is street food there.

Fresh dried? The hell is that???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No no, I live in Helmond the Netherlands at the moment (work). That's about a 30min drive from the German border. Of the ones mentioned above only Roti is considered street food... but it's a lot of crappy fast food. Though there are a lot of indonesian restaurants around here, usually combined with chinese cuisine. It's part of the Dutch colonial history.

It's usually a tortilla wrap with chicken, some masalla spices, potatoe and French beans.. though reall roti is not with a corn wrap, but with wheat.. and it does not contain potatoe. You also don't use French beans, but you use katjang pandjang instead..

http://www.koenkamphuijs.nl/recepten/groenten/kouseband.jpg

The Dutch colonial cuisine is a lot better than German cuisine..

Unless you like Schweinehaxe with Knödel (which is great.. but not from the far east)

I don't just mean street food, I mean food in general. Like sambal. You guys have that all over. From what I know. And Malay stuff like rendang. My fave. 

Yes, it's very common here. Like mexican food in Southern US I guess. You find those restaurants all over the place, though they are being replaced with middle eastern food like shoarma, döner etc

Back