• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

=[ GM's Far East, Indian, and Moroccan Heat ]=

I am on a mission to crawl cuisine from the Far East and I'd love to see what other people fix ...

I set my OCD loose on loose leaf tea, then microbrews, then single lot coffee, and then curry dishes, and now it's going to be food from the other side of the Pacific ...

For one, I love thai chili peppers and other peppers typical to that region ... I bought a number of types of chili pepper plants that I'm growing this summer to improve my experience w/ all of this ...

Also, I love wontons and dumplings ... it's a thing for me, I guess, so I thought I'd get some reference material and get started this weekend ...

There are a lot of salad dishes that I like from over yonder as well, and part of my motivation is to widen my skill set on making dressings from scratch and to have a lot of salad generally speaking ...

The other night I got started ...

There was some sesame ginger dressing on this one, not homemade, and not as good as sesame oil and sriracha either ...

I was also missing scallions ...

It was still good.

Tonight I wanted to improve upon my last effort.

It began w/ a test ...

Concept. Approved.

Ready the bits ...

I laid the ingredients out in nice lines, but you can't tell because i got all jiggy with the scallion shreds and sriracha =)

I'm really happy to begin my crawl of this type of cuisine ... please feel free to hijack the thread for a while if you want to rock out with your santoku out ...

Who knows ... maybe I'll learn to appreciate sashimi before it's done ...

Like Indian food, the #1 food in GB.

Mexican, yeah, we have our share of it. I'd say Italian/pizza is the biggest here. Most people grew up eating spaghetti, lasagna, and various pasta dishes, and pizza is huge here. I'd venture to say growing up, most people had Italian at least a couple times a week. 

You know what, it was his last episode.  I kept wondering the whole time if you had been to those places.

I don't remember! Maybe one of them but not all. 

This is not indicative of the kind of Asian cuisine I'm intent upon learning to make, however ...

With a sammie's worth of DC Lemon-reaper tempura shrimp leftovers in the fridge, though, I felt inclined to take out the chili garlic sauce since these buns are so unassuming ...

I've never seen anything reheat like the air fryer does ...perfect.

Heat the shrimp alone, then make the sammie and throw back in there for another minute ...

I suppose the folks around w/ convection overs or microwaves have this in spades as well ... my microwave has the setting, but I've never used it ...

Anyways ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424133119.300805.jpg

Escher ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424133132.900089.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424133142.084913.jpg

Back in to get awesome ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424133151.985786.jpg

Fisted ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424133186.220848.jpg

Tasty little bit o' lunch. Happy to get 3x meals from 1 lb of shrimp from the Amish ...

Normally I'm too lazy to post measurements ...

But, while reading buddy's KPS thread a minute ago I looked back up to see if there were measurements, because you can't really taste as you go doing the wok thing ...

This has prevented me from utilizing JHP's lead on the mongolian beef before, too ...

Same with some of filmost's posts ...

I'm lazy, probably the laziest around ... but I'm considering providing measurements for my Asian stuff, because I think it makes the dishes much more accessible ...

Anyone agree/disagree? ...

Well yes it makes dishes more accessible. And it is necessary for baking. For cooking, it will invite more people to try it. You don't have to go as far as weights though. Things like "one medium onion" are fine. I find it important for anything with a sauce. But the meat, veg, etc. can be looser. Just my opinion. 

What is KPS?

The Hot Pepper said:
Well yes it makes dishes more accessible. And it is necessary for baking. For cooking, it will invite more people to try it. You don't have to go as far as weights though. Things like "one medium onion" are fine. I find it important for anything with a sauce. But the meat, veg, etc. can be looser. Just my opinion. 

What is KPS?

Yeah, indeed, it's just for sauces/marinade etc ... good point.

I think I'll go out of my way to try to provide an actual recipe for marinade/sauce and see what effect it has ...

It's particularly important for high heat stuff ... where you can't really stop and taste what you are doing ...

Same for searing ... nice when someone gives you the minutes per side info, for sure ... can't see in the meat, so it really helps to have a ball park up front ...

I like to buy the Asian equivalent of this book ...

Maybe @filmost will see this and let me know if there is one ;)

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif image.jpg

Haha sorry bud, no clue about that one! But if you want a book about good n proper Japanese food then look up a "Washoku" on Amazon.

Can't believe they ficked up the Tapatalk UI/UX again ... now when you click a thread you participated in - it shows you page one ... their release manager needs to be fired.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425179998.464316.jpg

Wasn't anticipating the device's pre-treatment cook to be w/ 2/3 water, so it took a little while to get up to temp for a somewhat excessive 50 min pressure cooking session ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425180010.282221.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425180020.764744.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425180032.211255.jpg

wonder if I should use hickory pellets or little strips of oak?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425180076.237159.jpg

I followed the instruction booklet's rec for 45 min at 15 psi, knowing it was overkill based on cooking entire 8 lb Boston butt's in the analog pressure cooker in an hour ...

I am used to grilling my pork tenderloin to death, anyways, and I wan't to eat w/ Danielle - who shake and baked her k. chops ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425189463.311034.jpg

When I went slice, it pretty much pulled ...

I reheated those RTE noodles w/ a little butter, and some toasted sesame seed ...

The flavor of the pork was really good, and it ate more tender than it appears if you are going by color in photographs alone ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425189672.638168.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425189684.755686.jpg

Ultimately I just mixed it up w/ a fork ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425189720.895255.jpg

It was good, but I wanted more ...

I added some additional toasted sesame seed and a drizzle of tasty sesame oil, splashed a little kikkoman on - and microwaved it for 30 sec on 80% ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425189865.565310.jpg

Awesome, all I'd want for additionally would be shredded raw scallion!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425189941.836022.jpg

Next time I'd consider making a sauce by reducing the liquids left behind - ignore the wet wood, lol ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425190036.760952.jpg

Danielle's chops =)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425190064.980914.jpg

Just found out this dive bar in a motel parking lot a mile away now serves bloody mary's starting at 10AM on Sunday's - and pajamas are welcome. Oh, and bacon!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425190162.598414.jpg

#bi-winning

Back