• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

=[ GM's Making Something With Peppers ]=

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think that I'd enjoy making some sauce or such ...

Compared to homebrewing, it's pretty relaxed seeming ...

If you aren't too anal about chunks etc, it can apparently be as simple as de-seeding and prepping some pods and veg, cooking it up, stick blending it, and then straining it into glass jars while still hot ...

I'm not trying to make it sound like people's sauces are that simple - I realize people use food mills and check pH's and more ... but, for my purposes of having some fun, it can be that simple, right? ...

filled to the brim, with glass crock rocks on top ...

they're all about 40% dati puti, 60% white vinegar ...

f741f953d4bdbcf1a1ebf60df91ac831.jpg

the shorty has no lime, spices, or peppers ...

f46a33fbf195d5f32c0c4c6e85557740.jpg

shitload of pikliz ...

now i have to look and see if i read they start out room temp beforr the fridge or not ... i feel like i might have read that ...

:cheers:

tctenten said:
When can you start using that? I would think you wait a couple of weeks?

Now. I mean, supposedly it improves over time etc, but considering what it is ... you can use it straight away.

I put mine in the fridge, which I believe slows it down a bit, whereas I think  you can leave it out for a few days without opening it and that speeds it up a bit.

I figure I'll check it tomorrow night, and then maybe on day three after that, or so ...

Should be a good condiment for me, generally speaking, and as a bonus - Danielle abhors vinegar, so I won't have to worry about having to make it any faster than I can use it! :rofl:

Thinking it'll be nice for fish tacos, and good on a burger or with a hot dog ...

One big jar would be more sensible, but I can pick which one I like best and eliminate the other two as I go ...

Topping it off with scraps of those veg when using them to make other things would be the way to do it ... supposed to just keep topping it off ...

I use a lot of green cabbage for soup and cabbage balls, so I'm sure I'll replenish with that ...

D3monic said:
it's 4.5% acidity right? Did you taste test any of it, i'd imagine it has a sweetness from being made out of cane?

The sweeter one is this one: http://amzn.to/2b9Xjpf made from molasses v. cane juice.

Clear cane vinegar is not sweet, fully fermented but you may detect a very very slight hint much like one can in cider vinegar but it's more comparable to rice wine imo.

Filipinos know their vinegars, if you want to make a dip for lumpia or spring rolls check out the molasses one, also great cooking with it.

imo.

Yes, my friend in the armed forces has lived throughout Africa and the Pacific Islands etc for the past few decades ...

He was tickled to see the Datu Puti and commented on my FB post that "it made the honorary Pinoy in him proud" or something to that effect ...

I have a folder on my desktop of right-click-save'd photos of all of the Japanese and Vietnamese meals he's posted to FB over the years ... it's my prime source of motivation for Asian cooks, recreating them.

There's dozens and dozens ...

tctenten said:
When can you start using that? I would think you wait a couple of weeks?

Pikliz is supposed to be ready in 24 hours. The name probably means "Easy Pickle." Pickle Ease, piklese, pikliz, etc.

grantmichaels said:
Yes, my friend in the armed forces has lived throughout Africa and the Pacific Islands etc for the past few decades ...

He was tickled to see the Datu Puti and commented on my FB post that "it made the honorary Pinoy in him proud" or something to that effect ...

I have a folder on my desktop of right-click-save'd photos of all of the Japanese and Vietnamese meals he's posted to FB over the years ... it's my prime source of motivation for Asian cooks, recreating them.

There's dozens and dozens ...

Cool!

Years ago he was similarly excited when I cooked in the tagine for the TD ... because I'd gone pretty authentic on that one, preserved lemons and harissa etc ...

Moroccan is coming back, here - I washed the dust off the tagine a few days ago and moved it from the pantry room onto the upper in the kitchen ...

Here's his ...

552099_10152043818510370_1520243202_n.jpg

Applying a programming paradigm to this sauce-making endeavor, Separation of Concerns ...

Focusing on the Intake of pods for making sauce now, and then the sauce-making will come behind later, from the full cadre of properly processed and weighed pods from the freezer ...

Otherwise I'll be rushed and might end up having to dump it, like my ferment jar, which was probably fine truth be told, but I didn't feel good about it because I hurried it and kind of winged it ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back