• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

=[ grantmichaels' skunkworx thread ]=

This is my thread. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My thread is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My thread, without me, is useless. Without my thread, I am useless. I must fire my grill true. I must shoot my dishes straighter than my enemy who are trying to outshoot me. I must shoot food before it shoots me. I will...

My thread and myself know that what counts in this war is not the dishes we fix, the noise or pots clanging, or the smoke we make. We know that it is the hit dishes that count. We will hit...

My thread is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its photos, its visitos and its banter. I will keep my thread clean and ready, even as I am clean dirty and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God, I swear this creed. My thread and myself are the defenders of my cuisine. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!​
9879E4FD-1F8D-4BB5-A472-311B4F2B5EF7-362-00000118D806EFDD.jpg

So as not to have to endure people's interpretations of the rules, I'm squatting in this hole, where there are no rules whatsoever. Feel free to share in this thread, there are no rules here. Be free.

grantmichaels said:
My precious ...

attachicon.gif
015.JPG

Going to take a crack at this one ...

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/hollandaise

I love the idea of it reading it through, but way too much work.  sous vide and whipping siphon?    I am a bit out of practice but I spent some time locking down my poached eggs and hollandiase  a couple years back so that I could roll out of bed on a weekend   and be eating eggs benni  less than half hour later if I felt like it. 

Ashen said:

I spent some time locking down my poached eggs and hollandiase  a couple years back so that I could roll out of bed on a weekend   and be eating eggs benni  less than half hour later if I felt like it. 

Yeah, that's basically the idea. This is just the 1st way I'm trying it, that's all.
That means:

1) Turn on sous vide sometime in the afternoon, set the temperature, and go back to work for a while ...
2) Later, return to dice a shallot and toss it in a pan w/ vinegar to reduce in half over the gas burner ...
3) Pour liquid through a strainer into a vac bag in the stand, and add rest of ingredients and vac seal - toss into the bath, and go back to work for a while ...
4) Later, return to cut the corner of the bag and dump contents into a siphon and charge it twice ...
5) Exchange a couple of mugs of water from the bath to lower the temp to the range for holding, and place the siphon in the sous vide and go back to work for a while ...

Then, whenever, it's toss a couple of eggs from the fridge into the bath, set a time for 14-17 mins depending on where you went in the 149-158F range, and come back when the alarm sounds to plop a couple of wonderful eggs out of the shells onto some hawaiian rolls and then hit 'em w/ nice warm hollandaise from the siphon ...

An hour later, you could toss a few more eggs in, and do it again ...

And then again ...

That's a really easy way to eat a nice protein/fat happy day w/ a little bit of front loaded hoops to jump through and tasty payout all afternoon and night long! =)

That's where the sous vide shines ... through multiple sessions ... done really effectively w/ the ice bath, it's like suspended animation for food ...

grantmichaels said:
WaffleBum's all like "check out these rolls I made while not deciding the TD!" ...

Boss is all like "Yeah, these rolls are awesome - oh, over there? I couldn't decide!" ...

JayT's all like "I vote for these perfect White Castles, I vote for Grant" ...

Geeme's all like "You're a little bit of an explorer, but I don't trust your palette" ...

Phil's all like "I know that's not spam, but in my mind it is" ...

GIP's all like "I'm sure those sous vide burgers were delicious, but I just cant wrap my mind around that color, and texture in a burger, & I like my beef on the rare side" ...

08376c2687f66a60040235dd21bf0f2dbf0a590e2a312d7108793f205efc94cc.jpg

whiskey ireland.jpg

Meanwhile, in AUS ...

61961659.jpg

I am sure I will grab a circulator eventually,  for eggs and pork belly if nothing else.  Being able to  easily  pasteurise eggs and then use them like raw would be handy, and  flash fried pork belly that has had a flavoured bath are good enough reasons. 

The Power Of Pork Compels YOU!!!

I'm watching Bumper's PB process with keen interest ...

The food from the sous vide is flavorful, I would have finished on a grill for best outcome, but I just didn't have the selfishness required to fumble around w/ charcoal and grates at 4AM, taking into consideration my neighbors sleep etc ...

I really liked the combination of pink and char/crust on your burger ... In my mind it was juicy w/ fully developed maillard ...

Stuff I'm still to make:

risotto
sous vide eggs and hollandaise from the siphon
chicken fried steak and sausage gravy
sushi
yakitori
spatchcocked chicken
beer-can chicken
ramen-fried chicken
fried chicken
gnocchi
fermented pickles
paneer
mozzarella
arepas
lomo al trapo tenderloin
caveman tomahawk on the coals
tacos fresca using shredded pressure cooker chicken breast
sourdough waffles
pizza
bacon
beer
salt cod and ackee
roasting coffee

I want to make mashed potatoes look nicer on a plate than spooned, but I don't have the bag w/ the tips that one uses for cake or whatever that would be really useful for it ...

What is another way to transfer instant mashed potatoes from one container where they were mixed up, onto a plate where they look decent? ...

Any ideas?

tctenten said:
You can use a ziplock bag with a bottom corner cut off as a homemade piping bag. You just won't have the decorative tips.

good call ... glad i threw it out there!

in other news, today was the 1st time i've ever had the feeling that i wish i knew how to make risotto ...

i guess i need to go add that to my list of shit to try/learn ... risotto would have set this off =)

i'm going to drop something nice in here later ... i hope.

Sounds divine ...

Yeah, I'm going to fix some lobster and eggs ... some risotta seems like the right vehicle for it ...

Instant mashers will work for tonight, though ... didn't go to store in the inclement weather earlier ...

Dueling sous vide brunch coming soon ...

I just went outside and handled the grow, cleaned up the kamado and built the pimento lump + pecan fire-basket so I can remain "clean" later tonight (and so it's quiet) ...

And now, I'm trying not to scratch the bumps from peak mosquito ...

I think it's a fine time to try to elevate a can of Ten Fidy, actually ...

So many firsts today ...

Good risotto uses stock, usually chicken. Even in the vegetable risottos, like mushroom risotto etc.

Just a tip. If you eat meat.

Back