• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest Growdown Throwdown 2018 Yellow Brain Strain!

mlittle74 said:

Just read this about seeds from the same stock.  Why is that a requirement?  Isn't part of the fun, how well different seeds of the same strain perform?  I already ordered seeds from an online vendor, but will submit my address to you in PM and respectfully request some seeds.

If the idea is to create a level playing field, we are in different parts of the world, different soils, different temperatures, different knowledge levels.  I'd submit their is no level playing field, so end rant / same stock seems too restrictive and unneeded IMHO.

Mike

mlittle74 said:
FYI, I just ordered some seeds from Sandia.  PuckerButt was sold out.

https://www.sandiaseed.com/products/yellow-brain-strain

Mike

You shouldn't have ordered them with the intent to grow them here in this growdown. 

You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

It's a requirement because that's how I designed the contest. Same genetics = the most level playing field. Period.

Especially considering the exact reasons you mentioned. Different soils, locations, climates, grow methods etc.
This is as close to seeing who can grow the most fruit from any given plant with the same genetic potential. This leaves the success or failure solely on the part of the grower. They are free to grow THIS PLANT anyway THEY WANT

Feel free to start and host another growdown throwdown where a level genetic playing field isn't a requirement, but its really the only rule here.   :hi:

Pepper-Guru said:

You shouldn't have ordered them with the intent to grow them here in this growdown. 

You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

It's a requirement because that's how I designed the contest. Same genetics = the most level playing field. Period.

Especially considering the exact reasons you mentioned. Different soils, locations, climates, grow methods etc.
This is as close to seeing who can grow the most fruit from any given plant with the same genetic potential. This leaves the success or failure solely on the part of the grower. They are free to grow THIS PLANT anyway THEY WANT

Feel free to start and host another growdown throwdown where a level genetic playing field isn't a requirement, but its really the only rule here.   :hi:

Fair enough.  Your contest your rules.  If you're willing to provide the seeds, I guess I don't really have anything to gripe about :)

You have my address, appreciate you sending seeds and I'll donate to help offset the cost of sending out to all the growers.

My previous comments aside, I do appreciate you coordinating the competition.

Mike

mlittle74 said:
I guess I don't really have anything to gripe about :)

mmmm-hmmm-i-know-thats-right.jpg

mlittle74 said:

Lol, to be fair, I didn't know the rules were completely at the discretion of the creator.

Lesson learned, good luck to everybody growing.

Mike
Yeah bro. 

Same rules as last years. Last years was the first contest of its kind and I think we like it. It's a true test of the grower while displaying the full potential of an agreed upon variety. 

I mean, what are we growing peppers or anything in our garden for, if not to harvest the MOST we possibly can off each plant?

This engages the grower to think about soil biology, nutrient uptake, watering, feeding, soil structure, and the like on a level that transcends the newest, hottest, most SHU's bla bla mundane, humdrum main stream chili scene. This is the thread for farmers, land stewards, people that care about how much product we are getting and why. Most of all just about good clean, jabby banter :) 

Pepper-Guru said:
Yeah bro. 

Same rules as last years. Last years was the first contest of its kind and I think we like it. It's a true test of the grower while displaying the full potential of an agreed upon variety. 

I mean, what are we growing peppers or anything in our garden for, if not to harvest the MOST we possibly can off each plant?

This engages the grower to think about soil biology, nutrient uptake, watering, feeding, soil structure, and the like on a level that transcends the newest, hottest, most SHU's bla bla mundane, humdrum main stream chili scene. This is the thread for farmers, land stewards, people that care about how much product we are getting and why. Most of all just about good clean, jabby banter :)

Agree totally now.  I'm 100% on board.  Wasn't trying to cause trouble.  My bad lol.

Mike

That's it boys and girls. 

My send list goes out today. 

27362344579_8805a72a0f_b.jpg

Thats 23-24 members so far including 6-7 international packages. 

Devv has been kind enough to offer to send seeds as well, so I've sent him around 100-200 or so. PM him for anyone else wanting to join in on the fun! 

Here's the current list as of today:

-USA-

solbelri
tctenten
Mr.CtChilihead
Malarky
CMJ
Walchit
Devv
Teaks
NeedsWork
bpiela