• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Growing tobacco like its 1688.

hot stuff said:
Coming along nicely.
thanks.

had my first caterpillar infestation today. noticed several small clusters of damage on some lower leaves.

there were probably 8 or so positively tiny horn worm looking guys that i had to smash manually as I do not have my pesticides with me, neither do i have my sprayer.

nah, permethrin's better.

one spray in the evening... anything that chews dies. not sure what is kosher on tobacco however.

im sure there 5 of them left hidden for every one i managed to kill.

I don't think anything kills those guys but a foot. I've known people to use knives if they are in a particularly vicious mood.

Check around pinholes and on the stalk.

yea i know what you mean.

they are very resistant to systemics once larger in size. they are also resistant to pyrethrin and BT once they are large.

but permethrin will genocide them in my experiance.

these were the smallest ive EVER seen. they are far easier to spot on the tobacco leaves, because the plant is like... waist high, and not up over my head as they are on toms.

i got some pics ill upload when i finish my work.

got too crowded, so i got another table.

heres the damage i spoke of.

best image i could get of these little things. sorry, i have no business with a camera.

another image, with said thing still on the leaf.

yeah that stuff looks great, I'm very likely going to try to grow a few rows of it next year...you know, since I already live in tobacco country and I use tobacco every day.  Hell even a large portion of the customers at my work are large tobacco companies.

ikeepfish said:
yeah that stuff looks great, I'm very likely going to try to grow a few rows of it next year...you know, since I already live in tobacco country and I use tobacco every day.  Hell even a large portion of the customers at my work are large tobacco companies.
EVERYDAY?! how dare you.

didn't you listen to your DARE officer? i only use every OTHER day... the latter is 100% safe ofcorse.

i thought you were growing tobacco already tho, along with uh.... pepper guru? is that not the case?

i looked at peper guru's log a few times tho i dont think hes updates his baccy photos in a long time.

edit:

if you want any of my super special pelleted commercial evil chemical soaked seeds let me know.

here they are as of this afternoon.

some spots ive noticed the past few days. seems to be getting worse, tho as far as i can tell its only on the lower leaves.

some leaves i removed from the bottom of the plants. they were yellow more or less, and made watering a pita.
these sat in a pile for like... 2 days, where after they become... weirdly resilient yet and pliable. its really a unique feeling leaf, nothing like anything ive ever felt.

some of my cactuses...they have become insanely tall and unstable, so i brought the ones that were falling over, and or breaking, all the way from houston. few weeks back they started pushing out new growth finally, after probably... 2 or three weeks.

heres a new set... i brought these back last night, theyve been badly neglected, were basically just leaned against a pillar for support. the tall one i cut into 3 pieces, the shorter one only two. not including the stumps.

yea. i got them at home depot like ... year and a half ago i think.

i liked them, so i bought like 12 seedlings on amazon. the little ones you see are peruvians i believe.

for the pacs? yea sure i mean, as long as you are cool with middle cuttings?
id like to keep the two tops. FWIW i am cool with middle cuttings as well.

like i said, these came from HD, they are exceptionally short spinned which i love, but they were mostly shaded, who knows what they do when in full blast light.

im not familiar with the bridgesii TBH. Im super fond of my peruvians, dark green with deep riges, and semi short spines... from preliminary googling, these seem somewhat similar?

the big cuttings are on a wire shelf with a fan on them atm. ill post some more pics later.

Actually, I was hoping to trade for a cutting or two of your peruvianus. I have a two giant specimens each of pachnoi and macrogonus and three bridgesii - a nice peruvianus would bring me one species closer to my goal of growing as many types of Bolivian, Peruvian and Ecuadorian columnar cacti as I can find.
     I think peruvianus probably more closely resembles pachanoi or macrogonus than it does bridgesii. Bridgesii are much smaller in diameter than all the others, and it's spines are between two and three inches long. Their new growth is a really beautiful dark turquoise-blue with bright yellow spines. They also have fewer ridges than the others - sometimes as few as four. (Ever hear of the cacus of the four winds? Supposedly legendary for some reason...)  
     I'm fine with middle cuttings. I'll just root it log-style and root the pups in a year or two. If you would rather have apical cuttings, say the word. I potted up my bridgesii this spring, and I think it started at least eight new pups. 
     Check out my glog http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44657-dash-2-2014-youre-doing-it-wrong/page-2. Post #32 has some good pics of the whole gang from this spring. (They've grown a bunch since then.) The bridgesii are the short ones in the wide, green container.

queequeg152 said:
here they are as of this afternoon.

some spots ive noticed the past few days. seems to be getting worse, tho as far as i can tell its only on the lower leaves.

some leaves i removed from the bottom of the plants. they were yellow more or less, and made watering a pita.
these sat in a pile for like... 2 days, where after they become... weirdly resilient yet and pliable. its really a unique feeling leaf, nothing like anything ive ever felt.

some of my cactuses...they have become insanely tall and unstable, so i brought the ones that were falling over, and or breaking, all the way from houston. few weeks back they started pushing out new growth finally, after probably... 2 or three weeks.

heres a new set... i brought these back last night, theyve been badly neglected, were basically just leaned against a pillar for support. the tall one i cut into 3 pieces, the shorter one only two. not including the stumps.

Leaf looks like it's getting ripe.

hot stuff said:
Leaf looks like it's getting ripe.
hope not... they are still pretty small imo. havent even begun to bloom yet either?

I think the lowest leaves were just ruined by neglect and 2" of rain which washed out the fertilzier charge.

as far as i can tell the newest leaves are looking pretty good?

dash 2 said:
Actually, I was hoping to trade for a cutting or two of your peruvianus. I have a two giant specimens each of pachnoi and macrogonus and three bridgesii - a nice peruvianus would bring me one species closer to my goal of growing as many types of Bolivian, Peruvian and Ecuadorian columnar cacti as I can find.
     Check out my glog http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44657-dash-2-2014-youre-doing-it-wrong/page-2. Post #32 has some good pics of the whole gang from this spring. (They've grown a bunch since then.) The bridgesii are the short ones in the wide, green container.

Ok so, i went back to amazon... and i see now that i bought 6 bridgessi, and 6 peruvians.

and now that i think about it,the home depot plants were labeled just as San Pedro... so i really dont know what they are now, having seen both pacs and brigessi's being referred to as san pedro.

ill post some pictures, better ones hopefully... later on when i wrap up some work.
maby you could help me identify what i have exactly?

id still be down to trade for what ever... only thing is that my Peruvians are for what ever reason far more stable plants... ive only had to cut one of them so far, and that's down to some insect damage that caused the cactus, as a seedling to neck down to a weak point.
the top of that one peruvian is rooting in coir next to my desk. the other two you saw in that other picture, are really small, and need to be potted down deeper as they were left indoors where they got leggy. i doubt you would want them as cuttings.
i brought them here because they needed some attention in reintroducing them to direct sun.

back in houston i have like 5 more Peruvians at like... maby 1-1/4" fat, and 32+ inches tall. if you want to wait till thanks giving, or mid december when ill be back in houston, maby we could swap some cuttings?

Back