• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing Upside down peppers

THANKS!! BUT I WAS LOOKING ON POTAWIE'S LINK TO SOME OF HIS PHOTOS AND IT KINDA LOOKS LIKE THE ROYAL BLACK. AS SOON AS I CAN GET MY HUBBY TO HOOK UP THE CABLE FOR MY CAMERA I'LL GET A PIC TO POST. BUT CAN U TELL ME ANYTHING ELSE ABOUT ANY OF THESE TWO PLANTS?

wegolady5177 said:
i can't seem to find it but there is a pic of a potted upside down pepper plant and in the bottom left hand coner the is what seems to be a black looking pepper plant. I recently bought one and the peppers are small and round, the leaves are either a very dark purple to black color, and the farmer that i purchased it from said that it wasn't too good for eating b/c it full of seeds. But i can't seem to find that pic yet

Like this? If so, it's a Black Pearl.

BlackPearl-07_Med.jpg

Welcome to the board, btw.

wegolady5177 said:
THAT'S IT. CAN U TELL ME ANYTHING ABOUT IT?

Not if you keep shouting at me.

I rescued one from the trash at the local Farmer's Market about a week ago, and it was one sad looking plant. I cut it way back, and we'll see how it does.

From Totally Tomatoes:

10-125 days. 2006 AAS Winner! Where do you put a bold, black-leafed, black-fruited ornamental pepper? Everywhere! This unique variety looks marvelous in mixed containers and is the perfect backdrop in garden beds. Bushy, upright plants have a well-branched habit, producing shiny black fruits that are very hot to the taste. Fruits eventually mature dark red with a rounded, slightly pointed shape. Very vigorous, with a high tolerance to heat and humidity.

And here's a link to the Park Seed discription:

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/...inPage=prod2working&ItemId=3953&cid=pport0001

i'm sorry didn't realize the caps were still on. Thanks for the info but I have just one question about the plant that I didn't read..... how much water should a plant like this take in and how much is too much?

I have the upside down tomatoes as well, in regular (steel) buckets with a hole drilled in the bottom. The where doing exceptionally nice before I went to Italy, but apparantly it has been raining since and now they look really bad. And I did all the effort to avoid excess watering (I drilled a hole into a wine bottle so the bottle can self-empty at a slow rate so most water can be absorbed by the soil and doesn't just run through), to avoid dripping of excess water on the plant - damn-fucked-up-mother-nature-you...

Next year I'm planning to use only cocktail tomatoes for this but maybe I will keep an eye on some of the smaller variety-pepper-plants as candidats as well.

With the rain and low temps (15-18°C on average - what a greenhouse-effect indeed...) ALL my pepperplants are small still ;-) I have only one (cayenne) that has three peppers the size of my index finger (and I'm an average Joe), all the rest is starting to form flowers...one has been root-trimmed by ants (and all the time I thought they were helping to keep the soil loose and airy). What can be done to stimulate flowering (upside down or straight up ;-) ) ?

wegolady5177 said:
i'm sorry didn't realize the caps were still on. Thanks for the info but I have just one question about the plant that I didn't read..... how much water should a plant like this take in and how much is too much?

Do you have it in a pot, or in the ground? When I water plants in a pot, I wait until the top inch or so of soil is dry, then I water until it runs out the bottom. I don't let potted peppers stand in water...peppers don't like having wet feet! How ofter it will need to be watered depends a lot on how hot it is outside and the size of the pot and how much sun it's getting. For example, a black plastic pot in the sun can heat the soil up pretty quickly, and the soil will dry out faster.

I have it in the brown pot that I bought it. i went to check on it this morning and it looked like it didn't get any water from the past two days of rain that we got. By the way I live in the New Orleans area of Louisiana, so it gets really hot and humid here, but we try to water all of our plants regularly on a daily basis. Thanks for the info

I am thinking of making some out of 5 gallon buckets. Can't be too difficult and for the price I am finding for the ones in the pic I think I could make about 20 of them myself.

Update
Pods are starting to develop and its getting to be a good size now. I'm going to have to find a stronger support soon!

That is so cool!

And it's giving me ideas. Think about using one of the flower containers that has multiple holes so that you create a ball of blossoms. Now, think of the same container with something like a Tri-fetta or a Black Pearl in it.

nice looking plant. just curious in your opinion now that you have some experience, would a smaller pepper plant be better or would you be fine with any type? i am leaning towards chinenes types but i guess the far end of the spectrum would be baccutums.

Back