• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing Upside down peppers

Oh, a Baccutum that spreads like Criolla Sella rather than grows straight up would work well. I still like the idea of putting multiple plants of one of the ornamentals in one bag or pot. Most of the Chinense that I grow grow more tall than wide, with the Piemento Di Chiero being the exception.

There are commercial posts like this http://www.beldenplastics.com/hanginggarden.htm Or I could make my own. I think it's going to be a spring project, fer sure.

I think the smaller, bushier plants would work best. Heavy podded varieties may fall or break with too much weight.

Wow it really grew well.
How does it compare to a normal grow? more pods? smaller plant? less bugs?
Sure is cool.
nice job.

It was a bit more productive than one grown in a regular pot but not a whole lot of difference other than the looks.

I have to give that a try next year. I have black pearl seeds if anybody wants to send envelope and stamp I will send you some.

You said not much more difference than usual, so your sayign you sitll had difficulties with bugs and what not? what are some drawbacks? Im looking at next season doing over 60% of my plants upside down, due to the fact that I rent, and and growing containers is my best shot, but this looks and has interested me for a long time

I had no problems with bugs in either the regular pot or upside down. It would be interesting to see how some different varieties perform. The drawback are that they can be a bit of a pain to water without major runoff and if it gets rootbound you can't replant in a bigger pot so you'll need to water often. You also need something sturdy to hold the weight of it all.

USFMD82, are you buying the units because you can make them quite cheaply.

had planned to make them, just got to figure out the best size container to use for such, I have heard of them being made out of 3 liter soda bottles but i would think as you mentioned rootbound would be a issue.. so i will have to figure an economical thing large enought to make them out of

Well, I found one of these guys for sale at a local store, $16 so I broke down and baught it. I think I'll stick a Fatalii in it, that produces a lot of peppers.

My upsidedownaga is starting to do well. I've only got it half filled with soil to keep the weight down for now. I've got hooks by my sunny windows and patio door and one beside my light stand for at night, so its getting moved around a bit but doing well. I actually noticed a few flowers starting too.

i finally put my inca berry in my diy upside down planter a couple weeks ago. it's in a hanging planter with an attatched saucer and i sealed the gap between saucer and planter around the hole for the plant so i bottom water which mitigates the runoff, takes a while tho. it's not as big as the topsy turvy tho so i do worry about it getting rootbound. we'll see.

I was just in the hoop house, and I found a yellow current tomato sprouting under the limbs of my Lemon Drop. I'm thinking I'll put it in my topsy turvy bag and try something else with the peppers.

Nice little surprise to come home to, btw.

I think I'll try it this year with a tabasco plant and a currant tomato plant.

Hey what happened to koolguymike(a few posts higher) his account is deactivated...:?:

Here's my newest upside-down planter hung up in macrame this time.

This one is a chinese 5 color pepper.

*Does anyone know if I can treat the macrame to make it more sun resistant. I was thinking of spraying or soaking in neem oil.

Back