• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's 2013

It begins with a tray...

8529680870_ff959399bf.jpg

Got damn Aphids...I squished a few today..

Awesome pods. That original scorpion is a beauty.

That's some hot weather, surprised you're getting pods and not flower drop.

Love the chicken coop, maybe one day I'll have enough land and resources to have my own; love the idea. Have fun with it!

Coop is lookin good! A real handyman and an organic master green thumb. Double threat.

And yes I eat the eggs and the birds that decide not to shut up after being told twice. It's not for everyone, they have much bigger yolks even with smaller eggs. Makes great scrambled eggs.. And they tend to be louder, to the point they become impromptu dinner at times as I mentioned. But they tend to get taken less and raise hell when hawks, eagles, or foxes are around. I raise chickens occasionally but end up losing most by the end of the year, especially without a rooster to look after em. Damn boonies.

GnomeGrown said:

:eh: GoldBond Medicated Powder
Haha believe you me, i know. but it only goes so far friend... I sweat annoyingly easy if its humid. If I lived in Florida I'd literally drown in my own sweat.

And Jeebus man, aphid city. Looks like my young plants before I knew to watch for the buggers closer.

Great update...well except for them damn aphids. Some varieties make it look so easy, those Rooster nodes bangin! Looking forward to the next update!

WOW, nice shots of the Pods!
Wish I had closer to your weather up here in Moosonee Ontario...
Last week went down to 2 celcius, hurt my plants BADLY, but they seem to have survived and are coming back!

NASTY aphids there, hopefully you can catch them in time. 'Cause if you get ants...NOT GOOD, cause ants will "farm" the aphids for the dew they secret and compound your promblems 100 fold!
Not sure where or who I posted this to, but here is some info to help yah out a bit (if you should need it!):
Symptoms and Treatment of Sap Feeding Insects Aphids​
Symptoms: Aphids are sucking insects that attack buds, flowers and new growths and transmit disease from plant to plant. Buds and flower may fail to open and leaves may have a sticky deposit.
Treatment: Wash aphids away from the plant with a jet of water. Plants can be sprayed with a pesticide like Malathion, Orthene or Safer Soap using the product in accordance with label instructions.
Miscellaneous: The honeydew excreted by aphids and other sucking insects is attractive to ants and is an ideal medium for sooty mold. When sooty mold is present, inspect the plants for aphids, mealybugs, scale and mites.

Some links to look into:

http://voices.yahoo.com/top-ten-eco-friendly-tips-aphid-control-1841498.html

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/homemade-aphid-control-a-natural-way-to-kill-aphids.htm

http://organicgardening.about.com/od/pestcontrol/a/spraysforaphids.htm

Good luck with the yardbirds, fresh eggs are fantastic, especially if they get to eat some greens. We raised 'em some years ago but there are too many Coyotes around here unless they are penned.

Plants look great!

Lookin good Rich! I'm still waiting on my chickens to start dropping eggs as well. This is a first my family as well for livestock. I scoop their dropping up and throw in the compost bin.

Nice update! From what I can see,everything is growing true. A few of them are still too young to tell. That variety of chocolate hab will need major staking. You will be floored by the pod size and productivity. Amazing how many flowers are holding per node on your chinense!

Portuge said:
Looks like Lunch for the ladybugs.....

stc3248 said:
Great update...well except for them damn aphids. Some varieties make it look so easy, those Rooster nodes bangin! Looking forward to the next update!

allaKAZAAM said:
WOW, nice shots of the Pods!
Wish I had closer to your weather up here in Moosonee Ontario...
Last week went down to 2 celcius, hurt my plants BADLY, but they seem to have survived and are coming back!

NASTY aphids there, hopefully you can catch them in time. 'Cause if you get ants...NOT GOOD, cause ants will "farm" the aphids for the dew they secret and compound your promblems 100 fold!
Not sure where or who I posted this to, but here is some info to help yah out a bit (if you should need it!):
Symptoms and Treatment of Sap Feeding Insects Aphids​
Symptoms: Aphids are sucking insects that attack buds, flowers and new growths and transmit disease from plant to plant. Buds and flower may fail to open and leaves may have a sticky deposit.
Treatment: Wash aphids away from the plant with a jet of water. Plants can be sprayed with a pesticide like Malathion, Orthene or Safer Soap using the product in accordance with label instructions.
Miscellaneous: The honeydew excreted by aphids and other sucking insects is attractive to ants and is an ideal medium for sooty mold. When sooty mold is present, inspect the plants for aphids, mealybugs, scale and mites.

Some links to look into:

http://voices.yahoo.com/top-ten-eco-friendly-tips-aphid-control-1841498.html

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/homemade-aphid-control-a-natural-way-to-kill-aphids.htm

http://organicgardening.about.com/od/pestcontrol/a/spraysforaphids.htm

That is some really informative info! These little buggers were on one random tip of the grape vine and they can stay there for all I care. Lunch for the lady bugs indeed! I'll probably go out and continue to check on that one vine tip to make sure they haven't spread on a daily basis. Also its important to note that all ants don't farm aphids. Here in Ga its mainly the fire ants that do. I don't generally tend to spray my plants with anything unless I have a major issue. Then some pyrethrin and sulphur work fairly well and its organic. That vine didn't fruit for me this year so I don't mind it being my decoy :)
3/5King said:
Got damn Aphids...I squished a few today..

Awesome pods. That original scorpion is a beauty.

That's some hot weather, surprised you're getting pods and not flower drop.

Love the chicken coop, maybe one day I'll have enough land and resources to have my own; love the idea. Have fun with it!

Peptacular said:
Coop is lookin good! A real handyman and an organic master green thumb. Double threat.

And yes I eat the eggs and the birds that decide not to shut up after being told twice. It's not for everyone, they have much bigger yolks even with smaller eggs. Makes great scrambled eggs.. And they tend to be louder, to the point they become impromptu dinner at times as I mentioned. But they tend to get taken less and raise hell when hawks, eagles, or foxes are around. I raise chickens occasionally but end up losing most by the end of the year, especially without a rooster to look after em. Damn boonies.

Haha believe you me, i know. but it only goes so far friend... I sweat annoyingly easy if its humid. If I lived in Florida I'd literally drown in my own sweat.

And Jeebus man, aphid city. Looks like my young plants before I knew to watch for the buggers closer.

Devv said:
Good luck with the yardbirds, fresh eggs are fantastic, especially if they get to eat some greens. We raised 'em some years ago but there are too many Coyotes around here unless they are penned.

Plants look great!

holyhotpeppers said:
Lookin good Rich! I'm still waiting on my chickens to start dropping eggs as well. This is a first my family as well for livestock. I scoop their dropping up and throw in the compost bin.

adamk2212 said:
Love checking THP and seeing Guru's glog at the top. Looks great as always! Best of luck with the chickens.
Thanks guys! Im just about done with the coop now. Just need to get the shingles on. 

9115100501_fb93e178e2_b.jpg

Having chickens is going to be a great step for us. I am also planning on making my own feed. I'll mix the millet, corn and barley I grow, mill it down and boom...homemade guru feed. 

Pr0digal_son said:
Nice update! From what I can see,everything is growing true. A few of them are still too young to tell. That variety of chocolate hab will need major staking. You will be floored by the pod size and productivity. Amazing how many flowers are holding per node on your chinense!
Thats good to know! Stick around and let me know what you think in a few weeks. Want to make sure Im only keeping the real deal :) 

Thanks for stopping by guys. Enjoy your Sunday   :cool:

The coop art is perfect!
That is a bunch of aphids! I usually have mid to smaller black ants farming here. I'm agreeing, let them have that grape vine if they stay off the peppers.
Pods are looking good! Rooster spur is insane!

Pods coming through thick and fast and looks like some eggs might be as well soon enough. Although was there a need to build the penthouse and Jacuzzi ?? ;) ... Those chickens are gonna be spoilt... That's one nice henhouse.

Hey Guru. Things are looking great for your grow this year. Seems like your plants have put on half a season's growth in the last month.

I have had major aphid problems on my peppers this year. My resolution for next year, is to wipe them out immediately. Zero tolerance from the get go. This year I have used ladybird larvae, neem oil, and vitax 2 in 1 organic spray. Still have aphids though.

Great chicken coop. Best of luck with them.

ronniedeb said:
Hey Guru. Things are looking great for your grow this year. Seems like your plants have put on half a season's growth in the last month.

I have had major aphid problems on my peppers this year. My resolution for next year, is to wipe them out immediately. Zero tolerance from the get go. This year I have used ladybird larvae, neem oil, and vitax 2 in 1 organic spray. Still have aphids though.

Great chicken coop. Best of luck with them.
Try pyrethrin and sulphur man. The mix rocks! And the benies' come back within a day or so. 
No toxicity build up over time, all safe up to day of harvest. 

Ill have to try that pyrethrim and sulphur. The neem oil is no where as effective as I'd hoped.

And that coop is excellent man! I thought I was a good fowler, and you're making me feel like a bitch before you even started! Stay crispy mate!

Back