• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's 2013

It begins with a tray...

8529680870_ff959399bf.jpg

Got some garden preparation in today. Were about to bull doze her nice and flat again, then probably make it smaller or move the operation all together. Haven't made up my mind on that one yet.

8538003774_e3535a467f.jpg

8536900009_69fb1dbd7e.jpg

8538145200_8948fd50f5.jpg

Still brainstorming on where I want the hop yard versus where I want the vegetable and fruit garden. Thinking about utilizing the front yard as well.

8538191826_9ba8e2216b.jpg

Great plot of land for really anything. I need to get out and clear some woods space myself. Are you going back to the landscape cloth Rich?

Great plot of land for really anything. I need to get out and clear some woods space myself. Are you going back to the landscape cloth Rich?
Nope. This year Im going back to hardwood mulch. Many of my best years with inground plots have been when I dumped a few truck loads of mulch into the mix. I honestly didn't note any weed stopping advantage with the lanscape material, so nutritional and moisture retention factors win over in my opinon with mulch. Its just better in many ways. I've been stopping everytime I see the county doing any roadside maintainence and asking them to dump their chips onto the top of my property so the pile is building!

8538394080_7eb8f77ec9.jpg

LUCKYYY!!!!!!! Ive been calling around to all our tree trimming businesses and none of them have been in my area in 4+ months. I need some wood chips BAD. I like the idea of wood chips much more so than fabric. Like you've said in the past, food web.

Glad to see the glog going again! I love the wood chips!
I thought hops was a neat idea for something to grow (although I don't homebrew). Will you put it on a trellis or along a fence? It was in some of the permaculture stuff I was looking over - seems like it has a few helpful characteristics about it that are slipping my mind right now. I guess just growing vertically and taking up less real estate was a plus for me.

Do you grow comfrey at all? I'm trying that for the first time this year and wondered if you have had any experience with it?

Yep. I'll be installing the poles very soon. Going straight up with the bines. Just two poles with a guy wire attached to a winch so I can lower it to harvest.

Comfrey is great! Its one of the many plants a grower can cultivate for fertilizer, soil food web activator, disease preventative, and mulch all at the same time.

The hop bines aren't supposed to really do much the first year or yield much at all, but you can bet your ass were gonna give them the best opportunity they can get! The first year is evidently the year they establish their root structure and most growth is under ground. I imagine they are very much like vinifera (grapes) in that way.

Yes they do. Once they are established, they grow like weeds. Give them anything to climb up and they'll keep going and going. Nothing like home grown hops for a home brewed beer. Hops are deadly to dogs (just an FYI if you didn't already know...or if you've got dogs for that matter lol)

Just be careful with the hops there guru ....in the right environment I have heard they can be dam near impossible to get rid of once established (much like Wisteria vines)

Hey Guru, what kind of results can I expect in 15 gallon geopots? Will it grow as big as your fatalii? I went through your glog. Good stuff!

Back